Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from Wordaction of The Global Church of the Nazarene Publishing House in Kansas City, Missouri, United States "Our GPS" by Tara Beth Leach for Sunday, 5 February 2017 with Scripture: Proverbs 18:1-13

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from Wordaction of The Global Church of the Nazarene Publishing House in Kansas City, Missouri, United States "Our GPS" by Tara Beth Leach for Sunday, 5 February 2017 with Scripture: Proverbs 18:1-13
-------
"Our GPS" by Tara Beth Leach
Proverbs 18:1 He who separates himself indulges his desires
    and shows contempt for sound advice of any kind.
2 A fool takes no pleasure in trying to understand;
    he only wants to express his own opinion.
3 When a wicked person comes, contempt comes too,
    and with disdain, provocation.
4 The words of a man’s mouth are deep water,
    a gushing torrent, a fountain of wisdom.
5 It is not good to be partial to the guilty
    and thus deprive the innocent of justice.
6 A fool’s words get him into fights;
    yes, his mouth calls out for a beating.
7 A fool’s mouth is his ruin;
    his words are a trap for him.
8 A slanderer’s words are tasty morsels;
    they slide right down into the belly.
9 Whoever is lazy in doing his work
    is brother to the destroyer.
10 The name of Adonai is a strong tower;
    a righteous person runs to it and is raised high [above danger].
11 The wealth of the rich is his fortified city,
    like a high wall, in his own imagination.
12 Before being ruined, a person’s heart is proud;
    before being honored, a person must be humble.
13 To answer someone before hearing him out
    is both stupid and embarrassing.
-------
Several years ago while training for a triathlon, I decided to go for a long bike ride on unfamiliar roads in a remote area. About an hour into my ride, I realized that I hadn’t been paying attention to my route. I had no idea where I was and I had no idea how to get home. As nature would have it, I noticed thick black clouds rapidly moving in my direction. As I began to panic, I remembered I had a GPS on my smartphone that could guide me safely home.
In the same way, God promises to guide us in the darkness. Instead of aimless wondering through life, choose to allow God, our Great “GPS,” to lead you onward. God has given us tools to discern our direction in life–tools such as Scripture, prayer, and brothers and sisters in Christ can help direct our Christian walk. Take a few moments to reflect on your course in life. Pray for the Spirit to continue to lead and guide you as you lean into the tools God has given you.
-------
Hymn for Today: "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" by William Williams; translated by William Williams and Peter Williams
1. Guide me, O my great Redeemer,
pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but you are mighty;
hold me with your powerful hand.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
feed me now and evermore,
feed me now and evermore.
2. Open now the crystal fountain,
where the healing waters flow.
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
ever be my strength and shield,
ever be my strength and shield.
3, When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside.
Death of death, and hell's Destruction,
land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs of praises, songs of praises
I will ever sing to you,
I will ever sing to you.
-------
Thought for Today: Isaiah 48:17 Thus says Adonai, your Redeemer,
the Holy One of Isra’el:
“I am Adonai, your God,
who teaches you for your own good,
who guides you on the path you should take.
-------
Please Pray: For the development of Christian leaders in Spain.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment