Saturday, February 11, 2017

"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 12 February 2017 "All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night" (ELW 565)

"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 12 February 2017 "All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night" (ELW 565)
-------

"All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night" (ELW 565)
1. All praise to thee, my God, this night
for all the blessings of the light.
Keep me, oh, keep me, King of kings,
beneath thine own almighty wings.
2. Forgive me, Lord, for thy dear Son,
the ill that I this day have done;
that with the world, myself, and thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.
3. Teach me to live, that I may dread
the grave as little as my bed.
Teach me to die, that so I may
rise glorious at the awesome day.
4. Oh, may my soul in thee repose,
and may sweet sleep mine eyelids close,
sleep that shall me more vig'rous make
to serve my God when I awake!
5. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
praise God, all creatures here below;
praise God above, ye heav'nly host;
praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
-------
So if, like yesterday, we're going to do one for the mamas, we'd better do one for the daddies--guys, this one's for you.
Brena Brown, an expert on shame, tells the story in her Ted Talk "Listening to Shame" of getting called out by a guy for ignoring men's struggles with shame. "The women in my life would rather see me die on my white horse than fall off of it," he informed her. Men, you are often told in our society to teach your children--especially your sons--how to be brave. Sometimes you're told to not admit to fear. Verse three from this hymn speaks a powerful word to that condemnation. Of course you're supposed to feel fear. Of course it's OK to be weak. But praying this prayer is a brave word of trust in God in the midst of fear--the only real kind of courage there is.
Father God, teach me to live that I may dread the grave as little as my bed. Amen.
Rachel Wrenn, '11

Ph.D. student in Hebrew Bible, Emory University, Atlanta, Ga. 
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment