Tuesday, February 7, 2017

"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 7 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 119:1-8

"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 7 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 119:1-8
-------

Psalm 119:א (Alef)
1 How happy are those whose way of life is blameless,
who live by the Torah of Adonai!
2 How happy are those who observe his instruction,
who seek him wholeheartedly!
3 They do nothing wrong
but live by his ways.
4 You laid down your precepts
for us to observe with care.
5 May my ways be steady
in observing your laws.
6 Then I will not be put to shame,
since I will have fixed my sight on all your mitzvot.
7 I thank you with a sincere heart
as I learn your righteous rulings.
8 I will observe your laws;
don’t completely abandon me![Complete Jewish Bible]
-------
"Happy" is the first word of Psalm 119 and, interestingly enough, of Psalm 1. They both use the metaphor of "walking" to talk about how such happiness is attained. Walking in the way of the Lord is a bodily image, an active image, an image that brings to mind pumping heart, moving blood, rosy cheeks. "Happy." And yet mere movement is not what leads to happiness itself. I remember in college constantly trying to be happy and feeling anxious about the seeming fleetingness of "happiness." I was active all the time--but happiness was still elusive.
Psalm 119 has a word of advice for my college-aged self--it's not just about your feet. It's also about your eyes. In college my eyes were so often fixed firmly inward, on myself, desperately trying to "find" happiness. "Fix your eyes on God," suggests Psalm 119, "and God will make happiness find you."
Spirit of wisdom, where can I look for happiness? Show me the way so brightly that my eyes see nothing but you. Amen.
Rachel Wrenn, '11
Ph.D. student in Hebrew Bible, Emory University, Atlanta, Ga. 
Psalm 119:1 Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord.
2 Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways.
4 You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
5 O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances.
8 I will observe your statutes; do not utterly forsake me.[New Revised Standard Version]
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment