Friday, February 10, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Sleeping in Peace" for Saturday, 11 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 4:3-8

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Sleeping in Peace" for Saturday, 11 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 4:3 (2) Men of rank, how long will you shame my honor,
love what is vain, chase after lies? (Selah)
4 (3) Understand that Adonai sets apart
the godly person for himself;
Adonai will hear when I call to him.
5 (4) You can be angry, but do not sin!
Think about this as you lie in bed,
and calm down. (Selah)
6 (5) Offer sacrifices rightly,
and put your trust in Adonai.
7 (6) Many ask, “Who can show us some good?”
Adonai, lift the light of your face over us!
8 (7) You have filled my heart with more joy
than all their grain and new wine.
9 (8) I will lie down and sleep in peace;
for, Adonai, you alone make me live securely.
-------
When you are disturbed . . . ponder it on your beds, and be silent. . . . I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety.[Psalm 4:4, 8 (NRSV)]
Many years ago I took my children to study in South Africa because my country was consumed by war. I found them a place to stay and found a pastor who would give them spiritual support. A few years later, when I went back to visit my children, I found that my younger daughter could not get a visa to remain in South Africa. We, along with some members of the church, prayed two days without ceasing. But we did not get the answer we needed from the immigration service.
When I came home later that night, tired and exhausted, I lay down in bed and prayed: “Lord, help me not to be discouraged. Please show me the way to solve this situation with my daughter.” Later, in my sleep I heard a voice calling my name, but when I got up I did not see anybody. I went back to sleep and had a dream in which someone told me to read the verses quoted above. Then I understood that God wanted me to be silent and to listen.
The next day after a short interview with an immigration officer, my daughter received a visa so that she could finish her studies. This experience strengthened my belief in prayer. If we pray with faith, we can rely on God and expect an answer according to God’s will.
The Author: Madalena Manuel Simão (Luanda, Angola)
Thought for the Day: When I trust in God, I will not be discouraged.
Prayer: Gracious and merciful God, help us not to be discouraged. Help us to hear and follow your call. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Prayer focus: Families who are separated
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment