Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Leaning on God" for Thursday, 9 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 28:6-9

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Leaning on God" for Thursday, 9 February 2017 with Scripture Psalm 28:6 Blessed be Adonai,
for he heard my voice as I prayed for mercy.
7 Adonai is my strength and shield;
in him my heart trusted, and I have been helped.
Therefore my heart is filled with joy,
and I will sing praises to him.
8 Adonai is strength for [his people],
a stronghold of salvation to his anointed.
9 Save your people! Bless your heritage!
Shepherd them, and carry them forever!
-------
The psalmist wrote, “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.”[Psalm 28:7 (NIV)]
The letter from my friend overseas was painful to read. Her husband had deserted her. They had been married a long time and had teenage children. I reread the letter several times and decided I must answer it at once. But what could I say?
I asked God to give me the words to write back to her. So I wrote what came to mind and sent the letter. Later, I found it difficult to remember what I had written.
My friend wrote back and told me she had been standing in her kitchen crying the day my letter arrived. She would occasionally look up at the gray wintry sky that seemed to match her mood. As she washed the breakfast dishes she sensed an inner voice gently saying, “Just lean back on me. I will support you. I am your strength.”
When she found my letter in her mailbox, she opened it and was amazed to read the words I had offered her: “God is with you. Just lean back on him. He will support you. He is your strength.” Truly God had given me the words to comfort and encourage my grieving friend.
The Author: Dorothy O’Neill (South Australia, Australia)
Thought for the Day: Whatever the day may bring, I am in God’s loving care.
Prayer: Dear Lord, we thank you for being our constant companion and strength. Help us to bring all our anxiety to you so that we may find your peace. Amen.
Prayer focus: Those dealing with broken relationships
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment