Saturday, May 6, 2017

"Conversation with the devil" by Stephen M. Miller from Stephen M. Miller at the Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller.for Saturday, 6 May 2017

"Conversation with the devil" by Stephen M. Miller from Stephen M. Miller at the Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller.for Saturday, 6 May 2017
"Conversation with the devil" by Stephen M. Miller
“The devil said, ‘Hey you. So, you call yourself the Son of God. Prove it. Order this stone to turn into bread.’ Jesus answered, ‘The Bible says: “It takes more than bread to keep people alive.”’”[Luke 4:3-4 Casual English Bible]
The post Conversation with the devil appeared first on Stephen M. Miller.
Recent Articles:
Copyright © 2017 Stephen M. Miller Inc, All rights reserved.
-------

"I want a Bible verse now, and make it good" by Stephen M. Miller from Stephen M. Miller's Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller. for Thursday, 4 May 2017
HELP WANTED. Sometimes you don’t want to flip open a Bible and read a story or a sermon or a genealogy—perhaps never a genealogy. Sometimes all you want is a sentence to get you through the day. Photo by torbakhopper, flickr, CC2.
I WANT A BIBLE VERSE to ease my mind.
One friend of mine got a divorce. Another lost a job. Another had such a tough day on the job that she lost it, and started sobbing.
And then, of course, there’s the oh-my-goodness insanity of politics that now—like never before—keeps many of us waking up each morning to hurriedly check the news apps on our phone to see if hell has finally arrived in a handbasket. We know it’s coming. We just don’t know when.
I didn’t expect it to work, but I wondered what would happen if I scrolled at random to Bible verses on my computer screen. Would I get a helpful hit? Something to soothe my soul during troubled times.
Here’s what I got, letting my mouse go where it wanted, without guidance from my eyes.
“I want you to make a promise to me. Now remember, God is a witness to what you are about to say. I want you to promise that you will never treat me or my descendants in an underhanded or treacherous way. Instead, I want you to promise that you will treat us with the same kind of loyalty and kindness I have shown you while you have lived here as an immigrant.”[(King Abimelech to Abraham, Genesis 21:23, Casual English Bible).]
“We’re commanding this, with the authority of our leader Jesus, the Messiah: stop talking and start working. Eat your own food, which you earn from your work.”[(Paul to a church in Greece, 2 Thessalonians 3:12, Casual English Bible).]
“Still, I want you to know that it was noble of you to help me during this crisis of mine.”[(Paul to a church in Greece, Philippians 4:14, Casual English Bible).]
I was going to quit there, but it didn’t feel right.
One more shot.
“You are God’s handpicked people. He dearly loves you. And I know that you are absolutely devoted to him. So show it in the way you dress. Clothe yourselves with these virtues: tenderhearted compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.”[(Paul to a church in Turkey, Colossians 3:12, Casual English Bible).]
Okay, I’ll take that reminder in these tough times, when I feel more like punching someone than saying a prayer for patience.
Casual English Bible
Bible Gateway
The post I want a Bible verse now, and make it good appeared first on Stephen M. Miller.
Recent Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment