Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Alcoholic Anonymous - Daily Ponderables - Together we trudge the Road of Happy Destiny – Tuesday, 31 December 2013 - Daily Reflections

Alcoholic Anonymous - Daily Ponderables - Together we trudge the Road of Happy Destiny – Tuesday, 31 December 2013 - Daily Reflections
DAILY RESOLUTIONS
The idea of "twenty-four-hour living" applies primarily to the emotional life of the individual. Emotionally speaking, we must not live in yesterday, nor in tomorrow.(AS BILL SEES IT, page 284)
A New Year: 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes-a time to consider directions, goals, and actions. I must make some plans to live a normal life, but also I must live emotionally within a twenty-four-hour frame, for if I do, I don't have to make New Year's resolutions! I can make every day a New Year's day! I can decide, "Today I can measure my life by trying to do a little better, by deciding to follow God's will and by making an effort to put the principles of our A.A. program into action.(From the book Daily Reflections © Copyright 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)
Twenty-Four Hours A Day
A.A. Thought for the Day
I shall be loyal in my attendance, generous in my giving, kind in my criticism, creative in my suggestions, loving in my attitudes. I shall give A.A. my interest, my enthusiasm, my devotion, and most of all, myself. The Lord's Prayer has become part of my A.A. thoughts for each day: "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom comes. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not to temptation, but deliver us from evil." Have I given myself?
Meditation for the Day
As we look back over the year just gone, it has been a good year to the extent that we have put good thoughts, good words, and good deeds into it. None of what we have thought, said, or done need be wasted. Both the good and the bad experiences can be profited by. In a sense, the past is not entirely gone. The result of it, for good or evil, is with us at the present moment. We can only learn by experience and none of our experience is completely wasted. We can humbly thank God for the good things of the year that has gone.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may carry good things into the year ahead. I pray that I may carry on with faith, with prayer, and with hope.(From the book Twenty-Four Hours a Day © Copyright 1975 by Hazelden Foundation)
NA - Just for Today
Being Of Service
"Working with others is only the beginning of service work."(Basic Text, page 56)
We're in recovery now. Through living the program, we've attained some stability in our lives. Our faith in a Higher Power has grown. Our individual spiritual awakening is progressing comfortably. So now what? Do we simply sit still and enjoy? Of course not! We find a way to be of service.
We tend to think of service only in terms of committee service or holding a position at some level, but service goes far beyond this understanding. In fact, we can find opportunities to be of service in nearly every area of our lives. Our jobs are a form of service to our communities, no matter what our occupation. The work we do in our homes serves our families. Perhaps we do volunteer work in our communities.
What a difference our service efforts make! If we doubt this, we can just imagine what the world would be like if no one bothered to be of service to others. Our work serves humanity. The message we carry goes beyond the rooms of recovery, affecting everything we do.
Just for today: I will look for opportunities to be of service in everything I do.((page 381)From the book Just for Today © Copyright 1991-2013 by Narcotics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)
Thought for Today
"Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."(William James)
I've shut the door on yesterday,
And thrown the key away.
Tomorrow holds no fears for me,
Since I have found today.(Vivian Yeiser Laramore(thanks Andie D))
Buddha/Zen Thoughts
Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay.(Matthew Flick, "Journey To The Center")
Native American
"They must give themselves to Wakan' Tanka and live a spiritual life. They will have the peace that frees them from fear."(Frank Fools Crow, LAKOTA)
There are two wills available for us: self will and God's will. Our choice is: figure it out ourselves, or have the Creator involved in our lives. If we are honest with ourselves and look at past experiences, what are our lives like when we try to figure it out ourselves? Is there fear, confusion, frustration, anger, attacking others, conflict, fault finding, manipulation, teasing others, belittling others or devaluation? If these things are present, they indicate that we are choosing self will. What is it like if we turn our will over to the Creator? What are the results if we ask the Great Spirit to guide our life? Examples are: freedom, choices, consequences, love forgiveness, helping others, happiness, joy, solutions, and peace. Which will I choose today, self will or God's will?
Creator, I know what my choice is. I want You to direct my life. I want You to direct my thinking. You are the Grandfather. You know what I need even before I do. Today I ask You to tell me what I can do for You today. Tell me in a way I can understand and I will be happy to do it.
Keep It Simple
'May you live all the days of your life'(Jonathan Swift)
Tonight, at midnight, a New Year will begin. None of us know what the New Year will hold. But we can trust ourselves to hold on to the spirit of recovery as we go through the year. As a New Year is about to begin, we can rejoice in our new way of life. We can give our will and our life to our HP. By doing these things, we'll be ready for the New Year.
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, I pray that I'll start the New Year safe in Your loving arms. I pray that I'll keep working my program.
Action for the Day: Tonight, at midnight, I'll say the Serenity Prayer. I will think of all the others who have read this prayer and who will join me in this prayer. We are a recovering community.
Big Book
"Those having religious affiliations will find here nothing disturbing to their beliefs or ceremonies. There is no friction among us over such matters."(Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, There Is A Solution, Page 28)
-------------------------------
Excerpt from pages 26-27 “A Members Eye View of Alcoholics Anonymous” by Allen McG.
……“Ladies and gentlemen, who would dare attempt to analyze a phenomenon, diagram a wonder, or parse a miracle? The answer is: only a fool. And I trust that tonight I have not been such a fool. All I have tried to do is tell you where I have been these past 16 years and some things I have come to believe because of my journeying.
This coming Sunday, in the churches of many of us, there will be read that portion of the Gospel of Matthew which recounts the time when John The Baptist was languishing in the prison of Herod, and, hearing of the works of his cousin Jesus, he sent two of his disciples to say to Him, “Art thou He who is to come, or shall we look for another?” And Christ did as He so often did. He did not answer them directly, but wanted John to decide for himself. And so, He said to the disciples: “Go and report to John what you have heard and what you have seen: the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise, the poor have the gospel preached to them” Back in my childhood catechism days, I was taught that the “poor” in this instance did not mean only the poor in the material sense, but also meant the “poor in spirit,” those who burned with an inner hunger and an inner thirst, and the word “gospel” meant quite literally “the good news.”
More than 16 years ago, four men – my boss, my physician, my pastor, and the one friend I had left – working singly and together, maneuvered me into A.A.
Tonight, if they were to ask me, “Tell us what did you find?’ I would say to them what I now say to you:
“I can tell you only what I have heard and seen: It seems the blind do see, the lame do walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise, and over and over again, in the middle of the longest day or darkest night, the poor in spirit have the good news told to them.”
“God grant that it may always be so.“** Allen McG. is also the author of "The Rest of Your Life"
-------
If you're not enjoying your sobriety it's your own damn fault

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment