Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Grow. Pray. Study. Daily Guide from the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection – Tuesday, 31 December 2013 – "Reach out for the things ahead" (New Year's Eve)

Grow. Pray. Study. Daily Guide from the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection – Tuesday, 31 December 2013 – "Reach out for the things ahead" (New Year's Eve)
Daily Scripture: Philippians 3: 10 I want to know Christ[a] and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, 11 if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
Pressing toward the Goal
12 Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal;[b] but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Beloved,[c] I do not consider that I have made it my own;[d] but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly[e] call of God in Christ Jesus.
Footnotes:
a. Philippians 3:10 Gk him
b. Philippians 3:12 Or have already been made perfect
c. Philippians 3:13 Gk Brothers
d. Philippians 3:13 Other ancient authorities read my own yet
e. Philippians 3:14 Gk upward
Reflection Questions:
Christmas Vacation is funny, yet shows how much conflict comes from clinging to past hurts. The Apostle Paul was surely tempted to cling to past hurts, both self-inflicted and at the hands of others (cf. Acts 9:1-2; 2 Corinthians 11:24-28). Yet Paul knew the truth to a hope-filled life: he said he lived purposefully by releasing the past and moving towards God's goal for his life and the world around him.
Goals are important. In today's passage, Paul wrote that he was pursuing "the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus" as his goal. God's goal for the world is that creation reaches its intended wholeness. God's goal for his people is for us to become the people he desires us to be, leading lives full of love, joy, peace, and hope. What are your goals for your life? How do they match up with God's goals for your life?
In verse 13, Paul shared an essential truth in pursuing God's goals: "I forget about the things behind me and reach out for the things ahead of me." Your past need not define you. Spiritual growth is a process that focuses on what is to come, not what lies behind. Are you letting anything from your past define you in the present? On this New Year's Eve, ask God to help you let go of the past, and focus on the present and future.
Today's Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me a hope-filled future. Help me to forget what lies behind, focus on what is to come, and press on toward your goal for my life and for the world around me. Amen.
Tuesday, 31 December 2013 – Insight from Rev. Anne Williams
Rev. Anne Williams is the Congregational Care pastor for members of the Resurrection family who have last names beginning with S-Z.
For the past few years I haven’t made New Year’s resolutions. I’m usually one of those hippy dippy kinds of people who say I’d rather not set goals and see where life takes me. Perhaps that comes from having set resolutions in the past and not remembering what I said a month later.  :)
This year feels a little different. A few days ago I had the idea to resolve to work on becoming more like the fruits of the spirit we find in Galatians 5:22-23. It’s a list of traits that generally feels unattainable to me but what I have learned is that those traits don’t grow in me without intentionality. So I’m thinking I’ll focus on one per month – at least for the first nine months of the year – praying that God fosters that month’s trait in me and that I am given opportunities and grace to practice it. I bought a ring from the Well Bookstore with the scripture I’ll wear – like a string tied around my finger as a reminder of my resolution. What new adventures will you take with God this year? What spiritual practices will you commit yourself to?
Here’s to a new year of living into the fruits of God’s spirit which live within each one of us. More love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Cheers!
-------
United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, KS 66224 United States
(913)897-0120
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment