Monday, December 30, 2013

Reflecting God Devotions for Holy Living – Monday, 30 December 2013 “The Teetering Place” Scripture Philippians 4

Reflecting God Devotions for Holy Living – Monday, 30 December 2013 “The Teetering Place” Scripture Philippians 4: 1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.
Exhortations
2 I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you also, my loyal companion,[b] help these women, for they have struggled beside me in the work of the gospel, together with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4 Rejoice[c] in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.[d] 5 Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, beloved,[e] whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about[f] these things. 9 Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.
Footnotes:
a. Philippians 4:1 Gk my brothers
b. Philippians 4:3 Or loyal Syzygus
c. Philippians 4:4 Or Farewell
d. Philippians 4:4 Or Farewell
e. Philippians 4:8 Gk brothers
f. Philippians 4:8 Gk take account of
“The Teetering Place” by Janine Metcalf
Prefumo Canyon Mountain has been my “prayer mountain” for more than 20 years. However, my last journey took a surprising twist. As I turned my car toward home, I heard a loud crunch. Uh Oh! I had accidentally driven over a rock that lifted two of my tires off the road. If I drove backward, it could tear up the transmission. If I drove forward, I might not be able to turn and the car could plunge down a cliff. I was totally stuck, teetering without traction or anyone to help.
Correction! There was Someone. I cannot testify that I totally heeded Paul’s direction. I was anxious and not necessarily thankful! But I also knew our omnipotent God was aware of my predicament. Panic gave way to prayer. Suddenly, a couple drove up. Seeing my dilemma, they helped me out of the car. A tow truck soon arrived and, eventually, lifted my car off the rock.
What a reminder! When we are stuck, with no way forward or back, God will meet us. Rather than panic, Paul beckons us to seek God’s help. The results may just save our life and inspire others to trust the One who will find and rescue us anywhere.
Hymn for Today:
“I Know Whom I Have Believed” by Daniel W. Whittle
1.   I know not why God's wondrous grace
     to me he hath made known,
     nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
     redeemed me for his own.
Refrain:
     But I know whom I have believed,
     and am persuaded that he is able
     to keep that which I've committed
     unto him against that day.
2.   I know not how this saving faith
     to me he did impart,
     nor how believing in his word
     wrought peace within my heart.
Refrain:
     But I know whom I have believed,
     and am persuaded that he is able
     to keep that which I've committed
     unto him against that day.
3.   I know not how the Spirit moves,
     convincing us of sin,
     revealing Jesus through the word,
     creating faith in him.
Refrain:
     But I know whom I have believed,
     and am persuaded that he is able
     to keep that which I've committed
     unto him against that day.
4.   I know not when my Lord may come,
     at night or noonday fair,
     nor if I walk the vale with him,
     or meet him in the air.
Refrain:
     But I know whom I have believed,
     and am persuaded that he is able
     to keep that which I've committed
     unto him against that day.
Thought for Today:
“Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace—in peace because they trust in you.”(Isaiah 26:3).
Prayer Needs:
Faculty and students as they prepare for full-time Christian ministry in India.
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
2923 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64109
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment