Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Center for Action and Contemplation – Father Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditation – Thursday, 30 January 2014 “Stage Three: My thoughts and feelings are who I am.”

Center for Action and Contemplation – Father Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditation – Thursday, 30 January 2014 “Stage Three: My thoughts and feelings are who I am.”
Levels of Spiritual Development (Part One)
“Stage Three: My thoughts and feelings are who I am.”
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Thank God, many people are nudged by life itself and by basic common sense and honesty to the bare beginnings of critical thinking. People at Stage Three believe “My own thoughts and my own feelings are who I am.” But I do not yet see that most of my thoughts are self-referential and to my advantage and preference, and my emotions are usually “all about me.” (Did you know that the word “empathy” did not even enter the English dictionary until 1915?)  I have read a few books; I can quote some authors; I have become a bit more educated. But it is not really the Big Picture yet. I am still trapped at an egocentric level without knowing it. At this point, education is usually a substitute for actual transformation. Beware of college students who are invariably at Stage Three while thinking they are at Stage Six or Seven!
If Stage Two is more common among conservatives, Stage Three is more common among liberals. Stage Two creates groups; Stage Three creates individuals, and thus it is very hard for Stage Three people to really work together for long. These individuals cannot die to themselves enough to actually seek the common good; this requires a very real death to the ego self, which most will not endure.
Most of educated America and Europe is stalled at Stage Three. (I think of many Democrats and many Vatican II Catholics at this level.) They are good people; they are easy to make friends with. They are dialogical and conversational. But do not ask them to go very far beyond their own comfort zone or their own egocentricity.
Adapted from The Art of Letting Go: Living the Wisdom of St. Francis,
Disc 5 (CD)
Gateway to Silence: Open me to wholeness
-------
Center for Action and Contemplation
1705 Five Points Road SW
Albuquerque, NM 87105 (physical)
PO Box 12464
Albuquerque, NM 87195-2464 (mailing)
(505) 242-9588
cac.org
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment