Thursday, January 30, 2014

In Real Life "Walking the labyrinth" for Friday, 31 January 2014 by Pastor Jessica

Over the past few months, I have been working my way through a new devotional book called Praying at Every Turn: Meditations for Walking the Labyrinth, by Carole Ann Camp. It has been deeply meaningful to pair the reading of Scripture, the reflections on that Scripture in light of walking a labyrinth, prayer, and then the practice of walking the labyrinth. Some days I walk our church’s labyrinth that sits outside the Music Center. Other days I use one of the two beautiful finger labyrinths our church has, or simply create my own labyrinth walk around our campus. The flexibility and simultaneous structure of this spiritual practice has not only deepened my love for walking labyrinths, but it has also enriched my prayer life. It reminds me that even in the mundane acts of walking to get a cup of tea or sitting in silence, God reaches out to us with love and peace. 
It is amazing to me the many ways that God can use ordinary things – like walking, sunshine, a phone call, water, bread, juice – and turn them into an experience of God’s love and grace. It is a gift that is available to all of us. We can pause, look, and listen for God in new ways, even through everyday moments. And the best part is, God has already been looking, waiting, and longing to spend that time with us. When we remember and experience God’s presence with us wherever we go, we are freed to turn our hearts outward, and love as God calls us to love.
May God bless you this week, and may God surprise you in the ordinary places that make life an extraordinary gift. 
-------
First United Methodist Church
2111 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108
--------------

No comments:

Post a Comment