Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Reflecting God’s Devotions for Holy Living – Friday, 24 January 2014 “Slave of God-Who? Me?” Scripture 1 Peter 2

Reflecting God’s Devotions for Holy Living – Friday, 24 January 2014 “Slave of God-Who? Me?” Scripture 1 Peter 2: 9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people,[a] in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
10 Once you were not a people,
    but now you are God’s people;
once you had not received mercy,
    but now you have received mercy.
Live as Servants of God
11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage war against the soul. 12 Conduct yourselves honorably among the Gentiles, so that, though they malign you as evildoers, they may see your honorable deeds and glorify God when he comes to judge.[b]
13 For the Lord’s sake accept the authority of every human institution,[c] whether of the emperor as supreme, 14 or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing right you should silence the ignorance of the foolish. 16 As servants[d] of God, live as free people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil. 17 Honor everyone. Love the family of believers.[e] Fear God. Honor the emperor.
The Example of Christ’s Suffering
18 Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all deference, not only those who are kind and gentle but also those who are harsh. 19 For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. 20 If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God’s approval. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps.
22 “He committed no sin,
   and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
23 When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross,[f] so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds[g] you have been healed. 25 For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Peter 2:9 Gk a people for his possession
b. 1 Peter 2:12 Gk God on the day of visitation
c. 1 Peter 2:13 Or every institution ordained for human beings
d. 1 Peter 2:16 Gk slaves
e. 1 Peter 2:17 Gk Love the brotherhood
f. 1 Peter 2:24 Or carried up our sins in his body to the tree
g. 1 Peter 2:24 Gk bruise
“Slave of God-Who? Me?” by Christian Sarmiento
God paid a great price for our salvation, “with the precious blood of Christ” (1 Pet. 1:19). When we in true repentance accept the sacrifice of Christ and willingly follow Him, obeying God without considering cost, we are freed from sin. “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed” (John 8:36). But, how can a person who is “free indeed” be considered according to Peter, “God’s slave” (1 Pet. 2:16)? We are free from sin but purchased for God. Now are owned by a wonderful, loving Master.
The Old Testament presents two types of slaves. One is purchased, a bond slave. The other is called a love slave. The one purchased becomes free after seven years. However, some slaves decide to forfeit their freedom and stay with their beloved master. Then they became a “servant for life” (Exod. 21:6). These are “love slaves.”
The best expression of gratitude for the incredible price paid for us, “the precious blood of Christ,” is to become His love slaves. Then, “thanks be to God that, though “you used to be slaves to sin . . . You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness” (Romans 6:17-18).
Hymn for Today:
“I Surrender All” by John W. Van DeVenter
1. All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
2. All to Jesus I surrender,
Make my, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
3. All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Refrain:
I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
Thought for Today:
“Christian submission and service before God and on behalf of our neighbors are key aspects of the disciplined Christian life” (Session Truth)
Prayer Needs:
Many people in the Netherlands will come to know Jesus the Christ (Yeshua the Messiah) and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
-------
Saturday, 25 January 2014 “A Great Steward!” Scripture 1 Peter 4:  Good Stewards of God’s Grace
1 Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh,[a] arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), 2 so as to live for the rest of your earthly life[b] no longer by human desires but by the will of God. 3 You have already spent enough time in doing what the Gentiles like to do, living in licentiousness, passions, drunkenness, revels, carousing, and lawless idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you no longer join them in the same excesses of dissipation, and so they blaspheme.[c] 5 But they will have to give an accounting to him who stands ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was proclaimed even to the dead, so that, though they had been judged in the flesh as everyone is judged, they might live in the spirit as God does.
7 The end of all things is near;[d] therefore be serious and discipline yourselves for the sake of your prayers. 8 Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins. 9 Be hospitable to one another without complaining. 10 Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. 11 Whoever speaks must do so as one speaking the very words of God; whoever serves must do so with the strength that God supplies, so that God may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Peter 4:1 Other ancient authorities add for us; others, for you
b. 1 Peter 4:2 Gk rest of the time in the flesh
c. 1 Peter 4:4 Or they malign you
d. 1 Peter 4:7 Or is at hand
“A Great Steward” by Christian Sarmiento
Once we participated in a retreat for Peruvian pastors. It was a wonderful event, with great preaching and victories. On the last day we went to a little town nearby for souvenir shopping. One pastor took us to a hat store owned by an 82-year-old man. The owner appeared and tried to try to sell some hats.
The pastor explained, “This man is a member of my former church; a layperson and a church planter.” We asked the man how many churches he planted. He said very clearly, “Fourteen, sir, and all are still functioning.” Then he added, “I am planting my 15th church.” We asked, what is your strategy? He came out from behind the counter and stood in front of us. He lifted the legs of his pants and showed us his knees. They were covered with calluses! Pointing to them, he said, “Prayer is my strategy. God points to me a community and I start praying for new converts. I knock on doors until I get a convert and a house that will open for prayer. Later we begin services.” He went on and said that he was saved when he was 68 years old.
What a good steward “of God’s grace.”
Hymn for Today:
“I Would Be True” by Howard A. Walter
1. I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
2. I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.
3. I would be faithful through each passing moment;
I would be constantly in touch with God;
I would be strong to follow where He leads me;
I would have faith to keep the path Christ trod.
4. Who is so low that I am not his brother?
Who is so high that I’ve no path to him?
Who is so poor I may not feel his hunger?
Who is so rich I may not pity him?
5. Who is so hurt I may not know his heartache?
Who sings for joy my heart may never share?
Who in God’s heav’n has passed beyond my vision?
Who to hell’s depths where I may never fare?
6. May none, then, call on me for understanding,
May none, then, turn to me for help in pain,
And drain alone his bitter cup of sorrow,
Or find he knocks upon my heart in vain.
Thought for Today:
“All things can be done by importunate prayer. It surmounts or removes all obstacles, overcomes every resisting force and gains its end in the face of invincible hindrances”—E. M. Bounds.
Prayer Needs:
Developing Christian leaders in the Netherlands!
-------
Sunday, 26 January 2014 “Rebellion verses Submission” Scripture 1 Corinthians 16: Plans for Travel
5 I will visit you after passing through Macedonia—for I intend to pass through Macedonia— 6 and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may send me on my way, wherever I go. 7 I do not want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. 8 But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, 9 for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
10 If Timothy comes, see that he has nothing to fear among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord just as I am; 11 therefore let no one despise him. Send him on his way in peace, so that he may come to me; for I am expecting him with the brothers.
12 Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to visit you with the other brothers, but he was not at all willing[a] to come now. He will come when he has the opportunity.
Final Messages and Greetings
13 Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done in love.
15 Now, brothers and sisters,[b] you know that members of the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints; 16 I urge you to put yourselves at the service of such people, and of everyone who works and toils with them. 17 I rejoice at the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus, because they have made up for your absence; 18 for they refreshed my spirit as well as yours. So give recognition to such persons.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Corinthians 16:12 Or it was not at all God’s will for him
b. 1 Corinthians 16:15 Gk brothers
“Rebellion verses Submission” by Christian Sarmiento
Submission is probably considered the most outdated and least practiced discipline in today’s society. The mass media seems to promote, more than anything, that we become takers and that we submit others to our desires and tantrums.
The antonym of submission is rebellion. The first rebellion happened in heaven. Satan and his hosts tried to hold a revolution to overthrow God. That rebellion continues across the spectrum of society today. It is nothing less than a satanic mindset. It is driving our children, youth, and elderly to create a chaotic and immoral society.
The first step to biblical-spiritual submission is to repent of our sin and submit to God. This requires a total surrender of my sovereignty, to allow God to govern fully in my life. God responds to our submission by taking control of our entire lives. He becomes our King. It is then that He fills us with the Holy Spirit.
Paul admonishes us, “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18)! The consequence of being filled is that we will “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” (Ephesians 5:21).
Hymn for today:
“Yield Not To Temptation” by Horatio R. Palmer
1. Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin;
Each vict’ry will help you some other to win;
Fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue;
Look ever to Jesus, He’ll carry you through.
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
Comfort, strengthen, and keep you;
He is willing to aid you,
He will carry you through.
2. Shun evil companions, bad language disdain,
God’s name hold in rev’rence, nor take it in vain;
Be thoughtful and earnest, kindhearted and true;
Look ever to Jesus, He’ll carry you through.
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
Comfort, strengthen, and keep you;
He is willing to aid you,
He will carry you through.
3. To him that o’ercometh, God giveth a crown,
Through faith we will conquer, though often cast down;
He who is our Savior, our strength will renew;
Look ever to Jesus, He’ll carry you through.
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
Comfort, strengthen, and keep you;
He is willing to aid you,
He will carry you through.
Thought for Today:
“Teach me to do your will,
    for you are my God.
Let your good spirit lead me
    on a level path.” (Psalm 143:10).
Prayer Needs:
Many people in Norway will come to know Jesus the Christ (Yeshua the Messiah) and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
-------
Monday, 27 January 2014 “Battles That Matter” Scripture Acts 14: Paul and Barnabas in Iconium
14 The same thing occurred in Iconium, where Paul and Barnabas[a] went into the Jewish synagogue and spoke in such a way that a great number of both Jews and Greeks became believers. 2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers. 3 So they remained for a long time, speaking boldly for the Lord, who testified to the word of his grace by granting signs and wonders to be done through them. 4 But the residents of the city were divided; some sided with the Jews, and some with the apostles. 5 And when an attempt was made by both Gentiles and Jews, with their rulers, to mistreat them and to stone them, 6 the apostles[b] learned of it and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding country; 7 and there they continued proclaiming the good news.
Footnotes:
a. Acts 14:1 Gk they
b. Acts 14:6 Gk they
“Battles That Matter” by J. Timothy White
In 1943, an attack on the East Coast of the United States by German submarines seemed far too likely. My dad was one of hundreds of young men who flew naval patrols over the Atlantic from the U.S. Marine base at Cherry Point, North Carolina.
Dad also told me of a different battle fought at the town near the base. It was flooded with thousands of marines and sailors. When they came to town, for far too many, their only purpose was to party. Dad, however, saw something different. Every Friday night an older man from the community would go to the busiest intersection downtown, fall to his knees, and pray for the physical and spiritual safety of each of the young people there. As the battle raged around him, he fought the battle of Cherry Point, and lives were changed.
Paul and Barnabas proclaimed Good News while the battle for the hearts and minds of men and women were raging all around them. In the cities and hill country, God used them as instruments of His miraculous grace. Are we ready to be God’s instruments today?
Hymn for Today:
“A Charge to Keep I Have” by Charles Wesley
1.   A charge to keep I have,
     a God to glorify,
     a never-dying soul to save,
     and fit it for the sky.
2.   To serve the present age,
     my calling to fulfill;
     O may it all my powers engage
     to do my Master's will!
3.   Arm me with jealous care,
     as in thy sight to live,
     and oh, thy servant, Lord,
     prepare a strict account to give!
4.   Help me to watch and pray,
     and on thyself rely,
     assured, if I my trust betray,
     I shall forever die.
Thought for Today:
“The Great Commission has not been revoked! (John Bisagno).
Prayer Needs:
Developing Christian leaders in Norway!
-------
Tuesday, 28 January 2014 “Who Ya Gonna’ Worship?” Scripture Acts 14: Paul and Barnabas in Lystra and Derbe
8 In Lystra there was a man sitting who could not use his feet and had never walked, for he had been crippled from birth. 9 He listened to Paul as he was speaking. And Paul, looking at him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, 10 said in a loud voice, “Stand upright on your feet.” And the man[a] sprang up and began to walk. 11 When the crowds saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in human form!” 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city,[b] brought oxen and garlands to the gates; he and the crowds wanted to offer sacrifice. 14 When the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting, 15 “Friends,[c] why are you doing this? We are mortals just like you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. 16 In past generations he allowed all the nations to follow their own ways; 17 yet he has not left himself without a witness in doing good—giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, and filling you with food and your hearts with joy.” 18 Even with these words, they scarcely restrained the crowds from offering sacrifice to them.
19 But Jews came there from Antioch and Iconium and won over the crowds. Then they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing that he was dead. 20 But when the disciples surrounded him, he got up and went into the city. The next day he went on with Barnabas to Derbe.
Footnotes:
a. Acts 14:10 Gk he
b. Acts 14:13 Or The priest of Zeus-Outside-the-City
c. Acts 14:15 Gk Men
“Who Ys Gonna’ Worship?” by J. Timothy White
The temptation to Paul and Barnabas was real. They had been identified as “miracle workers.” They could accept the praise, pretend that the miracles belonged to them, but pay an eternal price later. However, both of them had walked with Jesus long enough to know that all the praise belonged to God. They knew that there was only one choice: to publicly reject the misguided praise, point to Jesus as their source, and accept the short-term pain of public rejection in exchange for the long-term gain of heaven’s approval.
It’s still sometimes tempting to accept the glory for things done by God or by others. Part of the call to disciples is to praise God for the miracles we see happening through our lives and in the lives of others, and remember that every good gift comes from the hand of the Father of Lights.
Hymn for Today:
“All Because of God’s Amazing Grace” by Stephen R. Adams copyright 1971 by Pilot Point Music (ASCAP), Box 41927, Kansas City, MO 64141. All rights reserved.
Amazing grace O how sweet the sound,
That saved a poor sinner like me!
Though once I was lost, yet now I am found,
Though I was blinded, now I see!
And it's all because of God's amazing grace!
Because on Calvary's Mountain he took my place!
And someday, some glorious morning,
I shall see him face to face,
All because of God's amazing grace.
Through disappointment through danger, too,
Through labors and sorrows we've come!
But God's grace has guided safely through,
And someday it will take us home!
Then with the ransomed around God's throne,
We will praise our Redeemer and King!
We will tell how his mercy for sin did atone;
Through countless ages this song we'll sing;
It was all because of God's amazing grace!
Because on Calvary's Mountain he took my place!
And someday, some glorious morning,
I shall see him face to face,
All because of God's amazing grace.
Amazing grace how sweet the sound,
And someday, some glorious morning,
I shall see him face to face,
All because of God's amazing grace!
---
Amazing grace - O how sweet the sound
That saved a poor sinner like me!
Tho’ once I was lost, yet now I’m found;
Tho’ I was blinded, now I see!
Refrain
And it’s all because of God’s amazing grace!
Because on Calv’ry’s mountain He took my place!
And some day, some glorious morning,
I shall see Him face to face,
All because of God’s amazing grace!
Thought for Today:
“When I have yielded myself to Him, He is able to sanctify both me and the gift, and the gift becomes an instrument of His glory” (Dennis Kinlaw).
Prayer Needs:
Many people in Pakistan will come to know Jesus the Christ (Yeshua the Messiah) and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
-------
Wednesday, 29 January 2014 “Victors, Not Victims” Scripture Acts 14:  The Return to Antioch in Syria
21 After they had proclaimed the good news to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, then on to Iconium and Antioch. 22 There they strengthened the souls of the disciples and encouraged them to continue in the faith, saying, “It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God.” 23 And after they had appointed elders for them in each church, with prayer and fasting they entrusted them to the Lord in whom they had come to believe.
24 Then they passed through Pisidia and came to Pamphylia. 25 When they had spoken the word in Perga, they went down to Attalia. 26 From there they sailed back to Antioch, where they had been commended to the grace of God for the work[a] that they had completed. 27 When they arrived, they called the church together and related all that God had done with them, and how he had opened a door of faith for the Gentiles. 28 And they stayed there with the disciples for some time.
Footnotes:
a. Acts 14:26 Or committed in the grace of God to the work
“Victors, Not Victims” by J. Timothy White
Paul and Barnabas were probably close to exhaustion. Their first missionary journey together would be their only one as a team. They had previously shared the pain of not being trusted by the church when Barnabas introduced Paul to a fearful group of early believers. Paul had to be evacuated out of Damascus in a basket to avoid assassination. They had been stoned in Asia Minor; now, on the way back to Antioch they were being persecuted again.
Nevertheless, along the way they became what Ralph Earle translated as “supervictors” (Rom. 8:37)–a word used only that one time in the New Testament. On this first mission trip, wherever they went–they organized new churches in every city. Part of being a supervictor was doing what God had called them to do, without regard to the threats around them. Their key was continual, regular fellowship and communion with God, the all-sufficient One who had called them. Twenty centuries later, our victory today is nourished on these same “habits of the heart.”
Hymn for Today:
“Jesus, Lover of My Soul” by Charles Wesley
1. Jesus, lover of my soul,
let me to thy bosom fly,
while the nearer waters roll,
while the tempest still is high;
hide me, O my Savior, hide,
till the storm of life is past;
safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last!
2. Other refuge have I none;
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me.
All my trust on thee is stayed,
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing.
3. Plenteous grace with thee is found,
grace to cover all my sin;
let the healing streams abound;
make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art;
freely let me take of thee;
spring thou up within my heart,
rise to all eternity.
Thought for Today:
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (Romans 8:37).
Prayer Needs”
Developing Christian leaders in Pakinstan!
-------
WordAction Publishing Company
2923 Troost Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64109

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment