Monday, April 21, 2014

Riverside, California, United States - Harvest Ministry-Greg Laurie's Daily Devotion for Monday, 21 April 2014 "Lord, I Trust You"

Share this today!Riverside, California, United States - Harvest Ministry-Greg Laurie's Daily Devotion for Monday, 21 April 2014 "Lord, I Trust You"
Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.-—Job 13:15 
Sometimes God will glorify Himself by the way you and I lean on Him and trust Him through our suffering and hardships. At other times, He will glorify Himself by simply removing those things.
He doesn't always say no, and He doesn't always say wait. Sometimes He steps in immediately, bringing help, wisdom, comfort, and provision. I've seen that happen many, many times in my life and ministry.
The gospel of John tells the story of Jesus and His disciples encountering a man who had been blind from birth. The disciples asked their Master, "Why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents' sins?" (John 9:2, NLT).
It sounds a little like a rehash of the accusations Job's counselors tossed out at him, doesn't it? Whose fault was this? Why is he sick? Who committed this sin? In fact, it may not have anything to do with personal sin. Godly people can suffer, too, and still be right in the middle of God's good plans and purposes.
Jesus had a strong answer for the disciples when they asked, "Who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"'It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins,' Jesus answered. 'He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him'" (verse 3, NLT). God wanted to display His power by healing this man — as He did when He raised Lazarus from the dead. But we must also recognize there are times when God will choose not to heal the blind, raise the dead, or do what we plead with Him to do through our anguish and tears.
And it is then that we must trust Him.
It is then that we must do what Job did when his whole world fell apart. He said, "Blessed be the name of the Lord" (Job 1:21). He didn't say, "I understand this. I understand You." He simply was saying, "Lord, I trust You."
Job lived a real life in real time, and in the midst of his suffering, he couldn't read the end of his own story to see how things turned out. Yet he said, "Blessed be the name of the Lord." And so must we.[Today's devotional is an excerpt from Every Day with Jesus by Greg Laurie, 2013]
-------
If it seems like your world is falling apart, here's something you should know.
-------   
Today's Bible Reading:
1 Samuel 24:1 When Saul had returned from following the Philistines, he was told, “Behold, David is in the wilderness of En Gedi.” 2 Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men on the rocks of the wild goats. 3 He came to the sheep pens by the way, where there was a cave; and Saul went in to relieve himself. Now David and his men were staying in the innermost parts of the cave. 4 David’s men said to him, “Behold, the day of which Yahweh said to you, ‘Behold, I will deliver your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.’” Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul’s robe secretly. 5 Afterward, David’s heart struck him, because he had cut off Saul’s skirt. 6 He said to his men, “Yahweh forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, Yahweh’s anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, since he is Yahweh’s anointed.” 7 So David checked his men with these words, and didn’t allow them to rise against Saul. Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way. 8 David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, “My lord the king!”
When Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the earth, and showed respect. 9 David said to Saul, “Why do you listen to men’s words, saying, ‘Behold, David seeks to harm you?’ 10 Behold, today your eyes have seen how Yahweh had delivered you today into my hand in the cave. Some urged me to kill you; but I spared you; and I said, I will not stretch out my hand against my lord; for he is Yahweh’s anointed. 11 Moreover, my father, behold, yes, see the skirt of your robe in my hand; for in that I cut off the skirt of your robe, and didn’t kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor disobedience in my hand, and I have not sinned against you, though you hunt for my life to take it. 12 May Yahweh judge between me and you, and may Yahweh avenge me of you; but my hand will not be on you. 13 As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Out of the wicked comes wickedness;’ but my hand will not be on you. 14 Against whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dead dog? A flea? 15 May Yahweh therefore be judge, and give sentence between me and you, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of your hand.”
16 It came to pass, when David had finished speaking these words to Saul, that Saul said, “Is that your voice, my son David?” Saul lifted up his voice, and wept. 17 He said to David, “You are more righteous than I; for you have done good to me, whereas I have done evil to you. 18 You have declared today how you have dealt well with me, because when Yahweh had delivered me up into your hand, you didn’t kill me. 19 For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away unharmed? Therefore may Yahweh reward you good for that which you have done to me today. 20 Now, behold, I know that you will surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hand. 21 Swear now therefore to me by Yahweh, that you will not cut off my offspring[a] after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father’s house.”
22 David swore to Saul. Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold.
Footnotes:
a. 1 Samuel 24:21 or, seed
Psalm 57: For the Chief Musician. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” A poem by David, when he fled from Saul, in the cave.
1 Be merciful to me, God, be merciful to me,
    for my soul takes refuge in you.
Yes, in the shadow of your wings, I will take refuge,
    until disaster has passed.
2 I cry out to God Most High,
to God who accomplishes my requests for me.
3 He will send from heaven, and save me,
    he rebukes the one who is pursuing me.
Selah.
God will send out his loving kindness and his truth.
4 My soul is among lions.
    I lie among those who are set on fire,
    even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
    and their tongue a sharp sword.
5 Be exalted, God, above the heavens!
    Let your glory be above all the earth!
6 They have prepared a net for my steps.
    My soul is bowed down.
They dig a pit before me.
    They fall into the middle of it themselves.
Selah.
7 My heart is steadfast, God, my heart is steadfast.
    I will sing, yes, I will sing praises.
8 Wake up, my glory! Wake up, lute and harp!
    I will wake up the dawn.
9 I will give thanks to you, Lord, among the peoples.
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10 For your great loving kindness reaches to the heavens,
    and your truth to the skies.
11 Be exalted, God, above the heavens.
    Let your glory be over all the earth.
For the Chief Musician. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” A poem by David.
58:1 Do you indeed speak righteousness, silent ones?
    Do you judge blamelessly, you sons of men?
2 No, in your heart you plot injustice.
    You measure out the violence of your hands in the earth.
3 The wicked go astray from the womb.
    They are wayward as soon as they are born, speaking lies.
4 Their poison is like the poison of a snake;
    like a deaf cobra that stops its ear,
5     which doesn’t listen to the voice of charmers,
    no matter how skillful the charmer may be.
6 Break their teeth, God, in their mouth.
    Break out the great teeth of the young lions, Yahweh.
7 Let them vanish like water that flows away.
    When they draw the bow, let their arrows be made blunt.
8 Let them be like a snail which melts and passes away,
    like the stillborn child, who has not seen the sun.
9 Before your pots can feel the heat of the thorns,
    he will sweep away the green and the burning alike.
10 The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance.
    He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked;
11 so that men shall say, “Most certainly there is a reward for the righteous.
    Most certainly there is a God who judges the earth.”
1 Chronicles 8:1 Benjamin became the father of Bela his firstborn, Ashbel the second, Aharah the third, 2 Nohah the fourth, and Rapha the fifth. 3 Bela had sons: Addar, Gera, Abihud, 4 Abishua, Naaman, Ahoah, 5 Gera, Shephuphan, and Huram. 6 These are the sons of Ehud. These are the heads of fathers’ households of the inhabitants of Geba, who were carried captive to Manahath: 7 Naaman, Ahijah, and Gera, who carried them captive; and he became the father of Uzza and Ahihud.
8 Shaharaim became the father of children in the field of Moab, after he had sent them away. Hushim and Baara were his wives. 9 By Hodesh his wife, he became the father of Jobab, Zibia, Mesha, Malcam, 10 Jeuz, Shachia, and Mirmah. These were his sons, heads of fathers’ households. 11 By Hushim, he became the father of Abitub and Elpaal. 12 The sons of Elpaal: Eber, Misham, and Shemed, who built Ono and Lod, with its towns; 13 and Beriah, and Shema, who were heads of fathers’ households of the inhabitants of Aijalon, who put to flight the inhabitants of Gath; 14 and Ahio, Shashak, Jeremoth, 15 Zebadiah, Arad, Eder, 16 Michael, Ishpah, Joha, the sons of Beriah, 17 Zebadiah, Meshullam, Hizki, Heber, 18 Ishmerai, Izliah, Jobab, the sons of Elpaal, 19 Jakim, Zichri, Zabdi, 20 Elienai, Zillethai, Eliel, 21 Adaiah, Beraiah, Shimrath, the sons of Shimei, 22 Ishpan, Eber, Eliel, 23 Abdon, Zichri, Hanan, 24 Hananiah, Elam, Anthothijah, 25 Iphdeiah, Penuel, the sons of Shashak, 26 Shamsherai, Shehariah, Athaliah, 27 Jaareshiah, Elijah, Zichri, and the sons of Jeroham. 28 These were heads of fathers’ households throughout their generations, chief men. These lived in Jerusalem. 29 The father of Gibeon, whose wife’s name was Maacah, lived in Gibeon, 30 with his firstborn son Abdon, Zur, Kish, Baal, Nadab, 31 Gedor, Ahio, and Zecher. 32 Mikloth became the father of Shimeah. They also lived with their brothers in Jerusalem, near their brothers. 33 Ner became the father of Kish. Kish became the father of Saul. Saul became the father of Jonathan, Malchishua, Abinadab, and Eshbaal. 34 The son of Jonathan was Merib Baal. Merib Baal became the father of Micah. 35 The sons of Micah: Pithon, Melech, Tarea, and Ahaz. 36 Ahaz became the father of Jehoaddah. Jehoaddah became the father of Alemeth, Azmaveth, and Zimri. Zimri became the father of Moza. 37 Moza became the father of Binea. Raphah was his son, Eleasah his son, and Azel his son. 38 Azel had six sons, whose names are these: Azrikam, Bocheru, Ishmael, Sheariah, Obadiah, and Hanan. All these were the sons of Azel. 39 The sons of Eshek his brother: Ulam his firstborn, Jeush the second, and Eliphelet the third. 40 The sons of Ulam were mighty men of valor, archers, and had many sons, and sons’ sons, one hundred fifty. All these were of the sons of Benjamin.
Matthew 8:1 When he came down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. 2 Behold, a leper came to him and worshiped him, saying, “Lord, if you want to, you can make me clean.”
3 Jesus stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, “I want to. Be made clean.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 Jesus said to him, “See that you tell nobody, but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
5 When he came into Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking him, 6 and saying, “Lord, my servant lies in the house paralyzed, grievously tormented.”
7 Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
8 The centurion answered, “Lord, I’m not worthy for you to come under my roof. Just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I am also a man under authority, having under myself soldiers. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and tell another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and tell my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to those who followed, “Most certainly I tell you, I haven’t found so great a faith, not even in Israel. 11 I tell you that many will come from the east and the west, and will sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the Kingdom of Heaven, 12 but the children of the Kingdom will be thrown out into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 Jesus said to the centurion, “Go your way. Let it be done for you as you have believed.” His servant was healed in that hour.
14 When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw his wife’s mother lying sick with a fever. 15 He touched her hand, and the fever left her. She got up and served him. [a] 16 When evening came, they brought to him many possessed with demons. He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick; 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through Isaiah the prophet, saying: “He took our infirmities, and bore our diseases.”[b] 18 Now when Jesus saw great multitudes around him, he gave the order to depart to the other side.
19 A scribe came, and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”
20 Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
21 Another of his disciples said to him, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.”
22 But Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”
23 When he got into a boat, his disciples followed him. 24 Behold, a violent storm came up on the sea, so much that the boat was covered with the waves, but he was asleep. 25 They came to him, and woke him up, saying, “Save us, Lord! We are dying!”
26 He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then he got up, rebuked the wind and the sea, and there was a great calm.
27 The men marveled, saying, “What kind of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
28 When he came to the other side, into the country of the Gergesenes, [c] two people possessed by demons met him there, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that nobody could pass that way. 29 Behold, they cried out, saying, “What do we have to do with you, Jesus, Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” 30 Now there was a herd of many pigs feeding far away from them. 31 The demons begged him, saying, “If you cast us out, permit us to go away into the herd of pigs.”
32 He said to them, “Go!”
They came out, and went into the herd of pigs: and behold, the whole herd of pigs rushed down the cliff into the sea, and died in the water. 33 Those who fed them fled, and went away into the city, and told everything, including what happened to those who were possessed with demons. 34 Behold, all the city came out to meet Jesus. When they saw him, they begged that he would depart from their borders.
Footnotes:
a. Matthew 8:15 TR reads “them” instead of “him”
b. Matthew 8:17 Isaiah 53:4
c. Matthew 8:28 NU reads “Gadarenes”
-------
Harvest Ministries with Greg Laurie 
P.O. Box 4000, Riverside, CA 92514-4000
Phone: 1(800)821-3300
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment