Saturday, August 30, 2014

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States - Lutheran Seminary's God Pause "Moved by the Promise" for Saturday, 30 August 2014 - "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound" ELW 779

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States - Lutheran Seminary's God Pause "Moved by the Promise" for Saturday, 30 August 2014 - "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound" ELW 779
1. Amazing grace! how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
was blind, but now I see.
2. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed!
3. Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come;
'tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.
4. The Lord has promised good to me;
his word my hope secures;
he will my shield and portion be
as long as life endures.
5. When we've been there ten thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise
than when we'd first begun.
How common is it within dramatic moments in movies that the heroes, about to sacrifice themselves for the sake of others, make an epic speech about how they have to break a promise made earlier in the film? It always prompts tears from the other person, as well as a nod of gratitude for the sacrifice.
The good news of the gospel is found in the knowledge that even though Christ made the same sacrifice of his very life for the good of all others, he didn't have to break a promise in doing so. In fact, the ways of grace are quite the opposite. Through the sacrifice of Christ the good promised by the Lord is fulfilled. The promises held in the word spoken to us in the sacraments and in scripture bolster our hope that the trials of life cannot overcome the love of God expressed to all humanity through Jesus Christ.
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. Dear Lord, we praise you for the gift of salvation, made possible through the sacrifice of your son. Hold us in your arms and protect us from the trials of life until that day when we enter into your glorious presence. Amen.
Scott Dalen
Pastor, Underwood Lutheran Church, Underwood, Iowa 
Master of Divinity , 2013
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment