Saturday, March 28, 2015

Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States “Palm Sunday" for Sunday, 29 March 2015 - Scripture: John 13:36-14:6

issue coverToday's Devotional:
The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States Palm Sunday" for Sunday, 29 March 2015 - Scripture: John 13:36 Shim‘on Kefa said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Yeshua answered, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow later.” 37 “Lord,” Kefa said to him, “why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you!” 38 Yeshua answered, “You will lay down your life for me? Yes, indeed! I tell you, before the rooster crows you will disown me three times.
14:1 “Don’t let yourselves be disturbed. Trust in God and trust in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many places to live. If there weren’t, I would have told you; because I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 Since I am going and preparing a place for you, I will return to take you with me; so that where I am, you may be also. 4 Furthermore, you know where I’m going; and you know the way there.”
5 T’oma said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you’re going; so how can we know the way?” 6 Yeshua said, “I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me.
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.”[John 14:6 (NIV)]
Once I asked a young man for directions to a place in an unfamiliar city. Instead of giving me directions, he offered to go with me. He not only showed the way; he became the way! I just had to follow him. Thomas asked Jesus, “How can we know the way?” Rather than giving directions, Jesus answered, “I am the Way.” He became the way, and Thomas simply had to follow him.
What does it mean to accept Jesus as my way and follow him? In John 13:36 Simon Peter asked Jesus, “Lord, where are you going?” The conversation that followed clearly points to how Jesus was actually talking about the way of the cross — the offering of his life in self-sacrificial love. It is the way of laying down one’s life for one’s friends. (See John 15:13.) When Jesus said, “No one comes to the Father except through me,” he was talking about how one comes to God. Jesus was teaching us that there is no way to reach the heart of God, except through self-sacrificial and unconditional love.
Early Christians were known as those who belonged to the Way. (See Acts 9:2.) If Jesus is our Way, then we will walk with Jesus today and love our neighbors with an unconditional and self-sacrificial love.
The Author: M. Thomas Thangaraj (Massachusetts, USA)
Thought for the Day: Jesus shows us the way.
Prayer: Loving God, give us hearts to love you and to love others unconditionally. Amen.
Prayer focus: Travelers

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment