Saturday, March 28, 2015

Upper Room Daily Reflections of Nashville, Tennessee, United States - daily words of wisdom and faith “Palm/Passion Sunday" for Sunday, 29 March 2015

yellow.jpgUpper Room Daily Reflections of Nashville, Tennessee, United States - daily words of wisdom and faith “Palm/Passion Sunday" for Sunday, 29 March 2015 
Today’s Reflection:
TODAY IS PALM SUNDAY, and also Passion Sunday: today’s little parade is fanfare, prelude, signaling the arrival of the unholy circus we call Holy Week – whose climax is not three rings but three Roman crosses, stabbed in bloody relief against Jerusalem’s skyline, an eclipse of justice so cosmic as to be mirrored in the heavens on a festival Friday afternoon.
With populist fanfare Jesus descends from the Mount of Olives into the valley of the shadows of his death. And we too, following, make our own sharp descent into the maelstrom of the week’s intrigue. …
It is hard work, the work before us this week. If Jesus’ first followers found themselves wishing to go back to the good days before the unpleasantness began or, like us, jumping ahead to the glory they might have imagined lay ahead, like them we have to remain here for a while. For this hour, to this place, this coming trouble – this is where Jesus journeys, and all his disciples, like it or not, must journey with him.[Thomas R. Steagald, Shadows, Darkness, and Dawn]
From pages 122-124 of Shadows, Darkness, and Dawn: A Lenten Journey with Jesus by Thomas R. Steagald. Copyright © 2010 by Thomas R. Steagald. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.
Today’s Question:
How will you observe Holy Week?
Today’s Scripture:
They shouted back, “Crucify him!”[Mark 15:13, NRSV]

This Week: pray to view others the way God does.
____________________________
Did You Know?
.
In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-weekintercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.
____________________________
Saints, Inc.: This week we remember: 
This week we remember: John Climacus (March 30)

Feastday: March 30
Birth: 525
Death: 606
Abbot of Sinai, so called "Climacus" from the title of his famous book, The Climax, or The Ladder of Perfection; also known as John Scholasticus. He was a Syrian or a Palestinian who started his eremiticallife at sixteen, living for many years as a hermit on Sinai. He then went to Thale. Revered also as a scriptural scholar, he authored The Ladder of Perfection to provide a comprehensive treatise on the ideal of Christian perfection and the virtues and vices of the monastic life. Composed in thirty chapters, it was intended to correspond to the age of Christ at the time of his baptism by John the Baptist. John was elected abbot of the monks of Mt. Sinai at the age of seventy He died there on March 30.

____________________________
Lectionary Readings
(Courtesy of Vanderbilt Divinity Library)

Passion/Palm Sunday-COLOR(S): Red or Purple
Liturgy of the Palms
Mark 11:1-11
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
Liturgy of the Passion
Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 31:9-16
Philippians 2:5-11
Mark 14:1-15:47
Lectionary Scriptures
Passion/Palm Sunday-COLOR(S): Red or Purple
Liturgy of the Palms
Mark 11:1 As they were approaching Yerushalayim, near Beit-Pagei and Beit-Anyah, by the Mount of Olives, Yeshua sent two of his talmidim 2 with these instructions: “Go into the village ahead of you; and as soon as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there that has never been ridden. Untie it, and bring it here. 3 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ tell him, ‘The Lord needs it,’ and he will send it here right away.”
4 They went off and found a colt in the street tied in a doorway, and they untied it. 5 The bystanders said to them, “What are you doing, untying that colt?” 6 They gave the answer Yeshua had told them to give, and they let them continue. 7 They brought the colt to Yeshua and threw their robes on it, and he sat on it.
8 Many people carpeted the road with their clothing, while others spread out green branches which they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who were ahead and those behind shouted,
“Please! Deliver us!”[a] [b]
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of Adonai!”[c]
10 “Blessed is the coming Kingdom of our father David!”
and,
“You in the highest heaven! Please! Deliver us!”[d] [e]
11 Yeshua entered Yerushalayim, went into the Temple courts and took a good look at everything; but since it was now late, he went out with the Twelve to Beit-Anyah.[Footnotes:
Mark 11:9 Psalm 118:25
Mark 11:9 See note, p. 1249.
Mark 11:9 Psalm 118:26
Mark 11:10 Psalm 118:25
Mark 11:10 See note, p. 1249.]
Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to Adonai; for he is good,
for his grace continues forever.
2 Now let Isra’el say,
“His grace continues forever.”
19 Open the gates of righteousness for me;
I will enter them and thank Yah.
20 This is the gate of Adonai;
the righteous can enter it.
21 I am thanking you because you answered me;
you became my salvation.
22 The very rock that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone!
23 This has come from Adonai,
and in our eyes it is amazing.
24 This is the day Adonai has made,
a day for us to rejoice and be glad.
25 Please, Adonai! Save us!
Please, Adonai! Rescue us!
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of Adonai.
We bless you from the house of Adonai.
27 Adonai is God, and he gives us light.
Join in the pilgrim festival with branches
all the way to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I thank you.
You are my God; I exalt you.
29 Give thanks to Adonai; for he is good,
for his grace continues forever.
Liturgy of the Passion
Isaiah 50:4 Adonai Elohim has given me
the ability to speak as a man well taught,
so that I, with my words,
know how to sustain the weary.
Each morning he awakens my ear
to hear like those who are taught.
5 Adonai Elohim has opened my ear,
and I neither rebelled nor turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who struck me,
my cheeks to those who plucked out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from insult and spitting.
7 For Adonai Elohim will help.
This is why no insult can wound me.
This is why I have set my face like flint,
knowing I will not be put to shame.
8 My vindicator is close by;
let whoever dares to accuse me
appear with me in court!
Let whoever has a case against me step forward!
9 Look, if Adonai Elohim helps me,
who will dare to condemn me?
Here, they are all falling apart
like old, moth-eaten clothes.
Psalm 31:9 (8) You did not hand me over to the enemy;
you set my feet where I can move freely.
10 (9) Show me favor, Adonai, for I am in trouble.
My eyes grow dim with anger,
my soul and body as well.
11 (10) For my life is worn out with sorrow
and my years with sighing;
my strength gives out under my guilt,
and my bones are wasting away.
12 (11) I am scorned by all my adversaries,
and even more by my neighbors;
even to acquaintances
I am an object of fear —
when they see me in the street,
they turn away from me.
13 (12) Like a dead man, I have passed from their minds;
I have become like a broken pot.
14 (13) All I hear is whispering,
terror is all around me;
they plot together against me,
scheming to take my life.
15 (14) But I, I trust in you, Adonai;
I say, “You are my God.”
16 (15) My times are in your hand;
rescue me from my enemies’ power,
from those who persecute me.
Philippians 2:5 Let your attitude toward one another be governed by your being in union with the Messiah Yeshua:
6 Though he was in the form of God,
he did not regard equality with God
something to be possessed by force.
7 On the contrary, he emptied himself,
in that he took the form of a slave
by becoming like human beings are.
And when he appeared as a human being,
8 he humbled himself still more
by becoming obedient even to death —
death on a stake as a criminal!
9 Therefore God raised him to the highest place
and gave him the name above every name;
10 that in honor of the name given Yeshua,
every knee will bow —
in heaven, on earth and under the earth —
11 and every tongue will acknowledge[a]
that Yeshua the Messiah is Adonai —
to the glory of God the Father.[Footnotes:
Philippians 2:11 Isaiah 45:23]
Mark 14:1 It was now two days before Pesach (that is, the festival of Matzah), and the head cohanim and the Torah-teachers were trying to find some way to arrest Yeshua surreptitiously and have him put to death; 2 for they said, “Not during the festival, or the people will riot.”
3 While he was in Beit-Anyah in the home of Shim‘on (a man who had had tzara‘at), and as he was eating, a woman came with an alabaster jar of perfume, pure oil of nard, very costly. She broke the jar and poured the perfume over Yeshua’s head. 4 But some there angrily said to themselves, “Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for a year’s wages and given to the poor!” And they scolded her. 6 But he said, “Let her be. Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing for me. 7 For you will always have the poor with you; and whenever you want to, you can help them. But you will not always have me. 8 What she could do, she did do — in advance she poured perfume on my body to prepare it for burial. 9 Yes! I tell you that wherever in the whole world this Good News is proclaimed, what she has done will be told in her memory.”
10 Then Y’hudah from K’riot, who was one of the Twelve, went to the head cohanim in order to betray Yeshua to them. 11 They were pleased to hear this and promised to give him money. And he began looking for a good opportunity to betray Yeshua.
12 On the first day for matzah, when they slaughtered the lamb for Pesach, Yeshua’s talmidim asked him, “Where do you want us to go and prepare your Seder?” 13 He sent two of his talmidim with these instructions: “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him; 14 and whichever house he enters, tell him that the Rabbi says, ‘Where is the guest room for me, where I am to eat the Pesach meal with my talmidim?’ 15 He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make the preparations there.” 16 The talmidim went off, came to the city and found things just as he had told them they would be; and they prepared the Seder.
17 When evening came, Yeshua arrived with the Twelve. 18 As they were reclining and eating, Yeshua said, “Yes! I tell you that one of you is going to betray me.” 19 They became upset and began asking him, one after the other, “You don’t mean me, do you?” 20 “It’s one of the Twelve,” he said to them, “someone dipping matzah in the dish with me. 21 For the Son of Man will die, just as the Tanakh says he will; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for him had he never been born!”
22 While they were eating, Yeshua took a piece of matzah, made the b’rakhah, broke it, gave it to them and said, “Take it! This is my body.” 23 Also he took a cup of wine, made the b’rakhah, and gave it to them; and they all drank. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood, which ratifies the New Covenant, my blood shed on behalf of many people. 25 Yes! I tell you, I will not drink this ‘fruit of the vine’ again until the day I drink new wine in the Kingdom of God.”
26 After singing the Hallel, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 27 Yeshua said to them, “You will all lose faith in me, for the Tanakh says,
‘I will strike the shepherd dead,
and the sheep will be scattered.’[a]
28 But after I have been raised, I will go ahead of you into the Galil.” 29 Kefa said to him, “Even if everyone else loses faith in you, I won’t.” 30 Yeshua replied, “Yes! I tell you that this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will disown me three times!” 31 But Kefa kept insisting, “Even if I must die with you, I will never disown you!” And they all said the same thing.
32 They went to a place called Gat Sh’manim; and Yeshua said to his talmidim, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took with him Kefa, Ya‘akov and Yochanan. Great distress and anguish came over him; 34 and he said to them, “My heart is so filled with sadness that I could die! Remain here and stay awake.” 35 Going on a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that if possible, the hour might pass from him: 36 “Abba!” (that is, “Dear Father!”) “All things are possible for you. Take this cup away from me! Still, not what I want, but what you want.” 37 He came and found them sleeping; and he said to Kefa, “Shim‘on, are you asleep? Couldn’t you stay awake one hour? 38 Stay awake, and pray that you will not be put to the test — the spirit indeed is eager, but human nature is weak.”
39 Again he went away and prayed, saying the same words; 40 and again he came and found them sleeping, their eyes were so very heavy; and they didn’t know what to answer him.
41 The third time, he came and said to them, “For now, go on sleeping, take your rest. . . .There, that’s enough! The time has come! Look! The Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners! 42 Get up! Let’s go! Here comes my betrayer!”
43 While Yeshua was still speaking, Y’hudah (one of the Twelve!) came, and with him a crowd carrying swords and clubs, from the head cohanim, the Torah-teachers and the elders. 44 The betrayer had arranged to give them a signal: “The man I kiss is the one you want. Grab him, and take him away under guard.” 45 As he arrived, he went right up to Yeshua, said, “Rabbi!” and kissed him. 46 Then they laid hold of Yeshua and arrested him; 47 but one of the people standing nearby drew his sword and struck at the servant of the cohen hagadol, cutting off his ear.
48 Yeshua addressed them: “So you came out to take me with swords and clubs, the way you would the leader of a rebellion? 49 Every day I was with you in the Temple court, teaching, and you didn’t seize me then! But let the Tanakh be fulfilled.” 50 And they all deserted him and ran away. 51 There was one young man who did try to follow him; but he was wearing only a nightshirt; and when they tried to seize him, 52 he slipped out of the nightshirt and ran away naked.
53 They led Yeshua to the cohen hagadol, with whom all the head cohanim, elders and Torah-teachers were assembling. 54 Kefa followed him at a distance right into the courtyard of the cohen hagadol, where he sat down with the guards and warmed himself by the fire.
55 The head cohanim and the whole Sanhedrin tried to find evidence against Yeshua, so that they might have him put to death, but they couldn’t find any. 56 For many people gave false evidence against him, but their testimonies didn’t agree. 57 Some stood up and gave this false testimony: 58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this Temple made with hands; and in three days I will build another one, not made with hands.’” 59 Even so, their testimonies didn’t agree.
60 The cohen hagadol stood up in the front and asked Yeshua, “Have you nothing to say to the accusations these men are making?” 61 But he remained silent and made no reply. Again the cohen hagadol questioned him: “Are you the Mashiach, Ben-HaM’vorakh?” 62 “I AM,” answered Yeshua. “Moreover, you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of HaG’vurah and coming on the clouds of heaven.”[b] 63 At this, the cohen hagadol tore his clothes and said, “Why do we still need witnesses? 64 You heard him blaspheme! What is your decision?” And they all declared him guilty and subject to the death penalty.
65 Then some began spitting at him; and after blindfolding him, they started pounding him with their fists and saying to him, “Let’s see you prophesy!” And as the guards took him, they beat him too.
66 Meanwhile, Kefa was still in the courtyard below. One of the serving-girls of the cohen hagadol 67 saw Kefa warming himself, took a look at him, and said, “You were with the man from Natzeret, Yeshua!” 68 But he denied it, saying, “I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about!” He went outside into the entryway, and a rooster crowed. 69 The girl saw him there and started telling the bystanders, “This fellow is one of them.” 70 Again he denied it. A little later, the bystanders themselves said to Kefa, “You must be one of them, because you’re from the Galil.” 71 At this he began to invoke a curse on himself as he swore, “I do not know this man you are telling me about!” — 72 and immediately the rooster crowed a second time. Then Kefa remembered what Yeshua had said to him, “Before the rooster crows twice, you will disown me three times.” And throwing himself down, he burst into tears.
15:1 As soon as it was morning, the head cohanim held a council meeting with the elders, the Torah-teachers and the whole Sanhedrin. Then they put Yeshua in chains, led him away and handed him over to Pilate. 2 Pilate put this question to him: “Are you the King of the Jews?” He answered him, “The words are yours.” 3 The head cohanim too made accusations against him, 4 and Pilate again inquired of him, “Aren’t you going to answer? Look how many charges they are making against you!” 5 But Yeshua made no further response, to Pilate’s amazement.
6 Now during a festival, Pilate used to set free one prisoner, whomever the crowd requested. 7 There was in prison among the rebels who had committed murder during the insurrection a man called Bar-Abba. 8 When the crowd came up and began asking Pilate to do for them what he usually did, 9 he asked them, “Do you want me to set free for you the ‘King of the Jews’?” 10 For it was evident to him that it was out of jealousy that the head cohanim had handed him over. 11 But the head cohanim stirred up the crowd to have him release Bar-Abba for them instead. 12 Pilate again said to them, “Then what should I do with the man you call the King of the Jews?” 13 They shouted back, “Put him to death on the stake!” 14 He asked, “Why? What crime has he committed?” But they only shouted louder, “Put him to death on the stake!” 15 So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the mob, set Bar-Abba free for them; but he had Yeshua whipped and then handed him over to be executed on the stake.
16 The soldiers led him away inside the palace (that is, the headquarters building) and called together the whole battalion. 17 They dressed him in purple and wove thorn branches into a crown, which they put on him. 18 Then they began to salute him, “Hail to the King of the Jews!” 19 They hit him on the head with a stick, spat on him and kneeled in mock worship of him. 20 When they had finished ridiculing him, they took off the purple robe, put his own clothes back on him and led him away to be nailed to the execution-stake.
21 A certain man from Cyrene, Shim‘on, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country; and they forced him to carry the stake. 22 They brought Yeshua to a place called Gulgolta (which means “place of a skull”), 23 and they gave him wine spiced with myrrh, but he didn’t take it. 24 Then they nailed him to the execution-stake; and they divided his clothes among themselves, throwing dice to determine what each man should get. 25 It was nine in the morning when they nailed him to the stake. 26 Over his head, the written notice of the charge against him read,
THE KING OF THE JEWS
27 On execution-stakes with him they placed two robbers, one on his right and one on his left. 28 [c] 29 People passing by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, “Aha! So you can destroy the Temple, can you, and rebuild it in three days? 30 Save yourself and come down from the stake!” 31 Likewise, the head cohanim and the Torah-teachers made fun of him, saying to each other, “He saved others, but he can’t save himself!” 32 and, “So he’s the Messiah, is he? The King of Isra’el? Let him come down now from the stake! If we see that, then we’ll believe him!” Even the men nailed up with him insulted him.
33 At noon, darkness covered the whole Land until three o’clock in the afternoon. 34 At three, he uttered a loud cry, “Elohi! Elohi! L’mah sh’vaktani?” (which means, “My God! My God! Why have you deserted me?”)[d] 35 On hearing this, some of the bystanders said, “Look! He’s calling for Eliyahu!” 36 One ran and soaked a sponge in vinegar, put it on a stick and gave it to him to drink.[e] “Wait!” he said, “Let’s see if Eliyahu will come and take him down.” 37 But Yeshua let out a loud cry and gave up his spirit. 38 And the parokhet in the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39 When the Roman officer who stood facing him saw the way he gave up his spirit, he said, “This man really was a son of God!”
40 There were women looking on from a distance; among them were Miryam from Magdala, Miryam the mother of the younger Ya‘akov and of Yosi, and Shlomit. 41 These women had followed him and helped him when he was in the Galil. And many other women were there who had come up with him to Yerushalayim.
42 Since it was Preparation Day (that is, the day before a Shabbat), as evening approached, 43 Yosef of Ramatayim, a prominent member of the Sanhedrin who himself was also looking forward to the Kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Yeshua’s body. 44 Pilate was surprised to hear that he was already dead, so he summoned the officer and asked him if he had been dead awhile. 45 After he had gotten confirmation from the officer that Yeshua was dead, he granted Yosef the corpse. 46 Yosef purchased a linen sheet; and after taking Yeshua down, he wrapped him in the linen sheet, laid him in a tomb which had been cut out of the rock, and rolled a stone against the entrance to the tomb. 47 Miryam of Magdala and Miryam the mother of Yosi saw where he had been laid.[Footnotes:
Mark 14:27 Zechariah 13:7
Mark 14:62 Daniel 7:13; Psalm 110:1
Mark 15:28 Some manuscripts include verse 15:28: And the passage from the Tanakh was fulfilled which says, “He was counted with transgressors.” (Isaiah 53:12)
Mark 15:34 Psalm 22:2(1)
Mark 15:36 Psalm 69:22(21)]
John Wesley's Notes-Commentary for Passion/Palm Sunday-COLOR(S): Red or Purple
Liturgy of the Palms
Mark 11:1-11
Verse 11
[11] And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.
Matthew 21:10,17.
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
Verse 19
[19] Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:
Open — O ye porters, appointed by God for this work.
The gates — Of the Lord's tabernacle: where the rule of righteousness was kept and taught, and the sacrifices of righteousness were offered.
Verse 20
[20] This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.
The righteous — As David was a type of Christ and the temple of heaven, so this place hath a farther prospect than David, and relates to Christ's ascending into heaven, and opening the gates of that blessed temple, both for himself and for all believers.
Verse 22
[22] The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
The builders — The commonwealth of Israel and the church of God are here and elsewhere compared to a building, wherein, as the people are the stones, so the princes and rulers are the builders. And as these master-builders rejected David, so their successors rejected Christ.
Head stone — The chief stone in the whole building, by which the several parts of the building are upheld and firmly united together. Thus David united all the tribes and families of Israel: and thus Christ united Jews and Gentiles together. And therefore this place is justly expounded of Christ, Mark 12:10; Acts 4:11; Romans 9:32; Ephesians 2:20. And to him the words agree more properly than to David.
Verse 24
[24] This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Made — Or sanctified as a season never to be forgotten.
Verse 25
[25] Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
We — These seem to be the words of the Levites, to whom he spake verse 19.
Verse 26
[26] Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.
Blessed — We pray that God would bless his person and government.
Cometh — To the throne; or from his Father into the world: who is known by the name of him that cometh or was to come, and of whom this very word is used, Genesis 49:10; Isaiah 35:4.
Name — By commission from him.
We — We who are the Lord's ministers attending upon him in his house, and appointed to bless in his name, Numbers 6:23; Deuteronomy 10:8. So these are the words of the priests.
Verse 27
[27] God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
The Lord — Or, The mighty God, as this name of God signifies, and as he shewed himself to be by this, his wonderful work.
Who — Who hath scattered our dark clouds, and put us into a state of peace, and safety, and happiness.
The horns — These are supposed to he made for this very use, that the beasts should be bound and killed there. These three last verses are David's words.
Liturgy of the Passion
Isaiah 50:4-9a
Verse 4
[4] The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.
Given me — This and the following passages may be in some sort understood of the prophet Isaiah, but they are far more evidently and eminently verified in Christ, and indeed seem to be meant directly of him.
The tongue — All ability of speaking plainly, and convincingly, and persuasively.
Weary — Burdened with the sense of his, deplorable condition.
Wakeneth — Me, from time to time, and continually.
To hear — He by his Divine power assists me to the practice of all his commands and my duties, with all attention and diligence.
Verse 6
[6] I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
I gave — I patiently yielded up myself to those who smote me.
Verse 8
[8] He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me.
Justifieth — God will clear up my righteousness, and shew by many and mighty signs and wonders, that I lived and died his faithful servant.
Let him come — l am conscious of mine own innocency, and I know that God will give sentence for me.
Verse 9
[9] Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.
They — Mine accusers and enemies.
The moth — Shall be cut off and consumed by a secret curse.
Psalm 31:9-16
Verse 9
[9] Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.
Grief — With continual weeping.
Verse 10
[10] For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.
Iniquity — For the punishment of mine iniquity.
Consumed — The juice and marrow of them bring almost dried up with grief.
Verse 11
[11] I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me.
A fear — They were afraid to give me any countenance or assistance.
Fled — To prevent their own danger and ruin.
Verse 12
[12] I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.
A broken vessel — Which is irreparable, and useless, and therefore despised by all.
Verse 13
[13] For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.
Fear — Just cause of fear.
Verse 15
[15] My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
My times — All the affairs and events of my life, are wholly in thy power.
Philippians 2:5-11
Verse 6
[6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Who being in the essential form — The incommunicable nature.
Of God — From eternity, as he was afterward in the form of man; real God, as real man.
Counted it no act of robbery — That is the precise meaning of the words,-no invasion of another's prerogative, but his own strict and unquestionable right.
To be equal with God — the word here translated equal, occurs in the adjective form five or six times in the New Testament, Matthew 20:12; Luke 6:34; John 5:18; Acts 11:17; Revelation 21:16. In all which places it expresses not a bare resemblance, but a real and proper equalitg. It here implies both the fulness and the supreme height of the Godhead; to which are opposed, he emptied and he humbled himself.
Verse 7
[7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Yet — He was so far from tenaciously insisting upon, that he willingly relinquished, his claim. He was content to forego the glories of the Creator, and to appear in the form of a creature; nay, to he made in the likeness of the fallen creatures; and not only to share the disgrace, but to suffer the punishment, due to the meanest and vilest among them all.
He emptied himself — Of that divine fulness, which he received again at his exaltation. Though he remained full, John 1:14, yet he appeared as if he had been empty; for he veiled his fulness from the sight of men and angels. Yea, he not only veiled, but, in some sense, renounced, the glory which he had before the world began.
Taking — And by that very act emptying himself.
The form of a servant — The form, the likeness, the fashion, though not exactly the same, are yet nearly related to each other. The form expresses something absolute; the likeness refers to other things of the same kind; the fashion respects what appears to sight and sense.
Being made in the likeness of men — A real man, like other men. Hereby he took the form of a servant.
Verse 8
[8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
And being found in fashion as a man — A common man, without any peculiar excellence or comeliness.
He humbled himself — To a still greater depth.
Becoming obedient — To God, though equal with him.
Even unto death — The greatest instance both of humiliation and obedience.
Yea, the death of the cross — Inflicted on few but servants or slaves.
Verse 9
[9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Wherefore — Because of his voluntary humiliation and obedience. He humbled himself; but God hath exalted him - So recompensing his humiliation.
And hath given him — So recompensing his emptying himself.
A name which is above every name — Dignity and majesty superior to every creature.
Verse 10
[10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
That every knee — That divine honour might be paid in every possible manner by every creature.
Might bow — Either with love or trembling.
Of those in heaven, earth, under the earth — That is, through the whole universe.
Verse 11
[11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
And every tongue — Even of his enemies.
Confess that Jesus Christ is Lord — Jehovah; not now "in the form of a servant," but enthroned in the glory of God the Father.
Mark 14:1-15:47
Verse 3
[3] And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
Matthew 26:6.
Verse 4
[4] And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
Some had indignation — Being incited thereto by Judas: and said - Probably to the women.
Verse 10
[10] And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them.
Judas went to the chief priests — Immediately after this reproof, having anger now added to his covetousness. Matthew 26:14; Luke 22:3.
Verse 12
[12] And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
Matthew 26:17; Luke 22:7.
Verse 13
[13] And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
Go into the city, and there shall meet you a man — It was highly seasonable for our Lord to give them this additional proof both of his knowing all things, and of his influence over the minds of men.
Verse 15
[15] And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.
Furnished — The word properly means, spread with carpets.
Verse 17
[17] And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.
Matthew 26:20; Luke 22:14.
Verse 24
[24] And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
This is my blood of the New Testament — That is, this I appoint to be a perpetual sign and memorial of my blood, as shed for establishing the new covenant, that all who shall believe in me may receive all its gracious promises.
Verse 25
[25] Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, till I drink it new in the kingdom of God — That is, I shall drink no more before I die: the next wine I drink will not be earthly, but heavenly.
Verse 26
[26] And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.
Matthew 26:30; Luke 22:39; John 18:1.
Verse 27
[27] And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.
This night — The Jews in reckoning their days began with the evening, according to the Mosaic computation, which called the evening and the morning the first day, Genesis 1:5. And so that which after sunset is here called this night is, Mark 14:30, called to-day. The expression there is peculiarly significant. Verily I say to thee, that thou thyself, confident as thou art, to-day, even within four and twenty hours; yea, this night, or ever the sun be risen, nay, before the cock crow twice, before three in the morning, wilt deny me thrice. Our Lord doubtless spoke so determinately, as knowing a cock would crow once before the usual time of cock crowing. By Mark 13:35, it appears, that the third watch of the night, ending at three in the morning, was commonly styled the cock crowing. Zechariah 13:7.
Verse 32
[32] And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.
Matthew 26:36.
Verse 33
[33] And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
Sore amazed — The original word imports the most shocking amazement, mingled with grief: and that word in the next verse which we render sorrowful intimates, that he was surrounded with sorrow on every side, breaking in upon him with such violence, as was ready to separate his soul from his body.
Verse 36
[36] And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
Abba, Father — St. Mark seems to add the word Father, by way of explication.
Verse 37
[37] And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?
Saith to Peter — The zealous, the confident Peter.
Verse 43
[43] And immediately, while he yet spake, cometh Judas, one of the twelve, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders.
Matthew 26:47; Luke 22:47; John 18:2.
Verse 44
[44] And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.
Whomsoever I shall kiss — Probably our Lord, in great condescension, had used (according to the Jewish custom) to permit his disciples to do this, after they had been some time absent.
Verse 47
[47] And one of them that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.
Matthew 26:51; Luke 22:49; John 18:10.
Verse 51
[51] And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
A young man — It does not appear, that he was one of Christ's disciples. Probably hearing an unusual noise, he started up out of his bed, not far from the garden, and ran out with only the sheet about him, to see what was the matter.
And the young men laid hold on him — Who was only suspected to be Christ's disciple: but could not touch them who really were so.
Verse 53
[53] And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.
Matthew 26:57; Luke 22:54; John 18:12.
Verse 55
[55] And the chief priests and all the council sought for witness against Jesus to put him to death; and found none.
All the council sought for witness and found none — What an amazing proof of the overruling providence of God, considering both their authority, and the rewards they could offer, that no two consistent witnesses could be procured, to charge him with any gross crime. Matthew 26:59.
Verse 56
[56] For many bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together.
Their evidences were not sufficient — The Greek words literally rendered are, Were not equal: not equal to the charge of a capital crime: it is the same word in the 59th verse.
Verse 58
[58] We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.
We heard him say — It is observable, that the words which they thus misrepresented, were spoken by Christ at least three years before, John 2:19. Their going back so far to find matter for the charge, was a glorious, though silent attestation of the unexceptionable manner wherein he had behaved, through the whole course of his public ministry.
Verse 61
[61] But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
Matthew 26:63; Luke 22:67.
Verse 66
[66] And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:
Matthew 26:69; Luke 22:56; John 18:25.
Verse 72
[72] And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.
And he covered his head — Which was a usual custom with mourners, and was fitly expressive both of grief and shame.
Verse 3
[3] And the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing.
Matthew 27:12.
Verse 7
[7] And there was one named Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made insurrection with him, who had committed murder in the insurrection.
Insurrection — A crime which the Roman governors, and Pilate in particular, were more especially concerned and careful to punish.
Verse 9
[9] But Pilate answered them, saying, Will ye that I release unto you the King of the Jews?
Will ye that I release to you the king of the Jews — Which does this wretched man discover most? Want of justice, or courage, or common sense? The poor coward sacrifices justice to popular clamour, and enrages those whom he seeks to appease, by so unseasonably repeating that title, The king of the Jews, which he could not but know was so highly offensive to them.
Verse 16
[16] And the soldiers led him away into the hall, called Praetorium; and they call together the whole band.
Praetorium — The inner hall, where the praetor, a Roman magistrate, used to give judgment. But St. John calls the whole palace by this name. Matthew 27:27; John 19:2.
Verse 17
[17] And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head,
Purple — As royal robes were usually purple and scarlet, St. Mark and John term this a purple robe, St. Matthew a scarlet one. The Tyrian purple is said not to have been very different from scarlet.
Verse 20
[20] And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him.
Matthew 27:31; John 19:16.
Verse 21
[21] And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross.
The father of Alexander and Rufus — These were afterward two eminent Christians, and must have been well known when St. Mark wrote.
Verse 22
[22] And they bring him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place of a skull.
Matthew 27:33; Luke 23:33; John 19:17. 24, 25. St. Mark seems to intimate, that they first nailed him to the cross, then parted his garments, and afterward reared up the cross.
Verse 28
[28] And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
Isaiah 53:12.
Verse 29
[29] And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
Matthew 27:39.
Verse 33
[33] And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
Matthew 27:45; Luke 23:44.
Verse 34
[34] And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me — Thereby claiming God as his God; and yet lamenting his Father's withdrawing the tokens of his love, and treating him as an enemy, while he bare our sins.
Verse 37
[37] And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
Matthew 27:50; Luke 23:46; John 19:30.
Verse 41
[41] (Who also, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him;) and many other women which came up with him unto Jerusalem.
Who served him — Provided him with necessaries.
Verse 42
[42] And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
Because it was the day before the Sabbath — And the bodies might not hang on the Sabbath day: therefore they were in haste to have them taken down.
Verse 43
[43] Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.
Honourable — A man of character and reputation: A counsellor - A member of the sanhedrim.
Who waited for the kingdom of God — Who expected to see it set up on earth. Matthew 27:57; Luke 23:50; John 19:38.
Verse 46
[46] And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
He rolled a stone — By his servants. It was too large for him to roll himself.
____________________________
Upper Room Ministries, a ministry of Global Board of Discipleship
PO Box 340004
Nashville, Tennessee 37203-0004 United States
____________________________
Sermon Story "Remembering As We Listen" by Gary Lee Parker for  Sunday, 29 March 2015 with Scripture Text: Isaiah 50:
4 Adonai Elohim has given me

the ability to speak as a man well taught,
so that I, with my words,
know how to sustain the weary.
Each morning he awakens my ear
to hear like those who are taught.
5 Adonai Elohim has opened my ear,
and I neither rebelled nor turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who struck me,
my cheeks to those who plucked out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from insult and spitting.
7 For Adonai Elohim will help.
This is why no insult can wound me.
This is why I have set my face like flint,
knowing I will not be put to shame.
8 My vindicator is close by;
let whoever dares to accuse me
appear with me in court!
Let whoever has a case against me step forward!
9 Look, if Adonai Elohim helps me,
who will dare to condemn me?
Here, they are all falling apart
like old, moth-eaten clothes.
As we remember that after Jesus death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, many of the Jewish believers in Jesus worshipped still in the synagogue and heard the Tanakh be read as they worshipped God. as they heard this particular text, they may have remembered Jesus teachings and his arrest and trial and crucifixion listen intently to the words of Scripture remembering what Jesus went through. How Jesus was arrested, spit upon, tortured, nailed to a cross, beaten, riduculed, and killed with ones who were actually criminals breaking the laws of the Romans and maybe even the Torah. As they heard these passages of Scripture read and spoken about in the Synagogue they may have wrote that their memory or at least talked with other followers of Jesus about the meaning of this Isaiah text in relationship to what happened to Jesus. They may heard some words from the Non-Messianic Jewish Rabbis that this text may mean about the who nation or Israel in their own oppression by governments such as Babylon or even Rome, yet the believers in Jesus as the Jewish Messiah heard this story as a prophesy to what actually happened to Jesus. They continued to talk this story over and over with each other until someone who was able to write wrote it down on parchment and then passed it on to others who they were discipling or evanglizing with the Message of Jesus. Now we come and use this text in remembering the suffering of Jesus during this Holy Week that he freely did for us at our own sins agsinst Him and the Father. Lord, Have mercy on us that we do not continue to bring bad words to Jesus Message of Hope to all people of the earth. Who do you relate to in this story? Are you able to see Jesus as the one Isaiah was talking about in this passage of Scripture> How do your relate to Jesus' suffering and giving us an opportunity to be forgiven of our sins and to live Holy Lives as Jesus' witnesses to other people we come in contact with? We come forward to receive the elements of The Eucharist remembering Jesus Broken Body and Shed Blood as we eat the bread and drink the wine or juice. We come sing the Hymn "Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross" by Fanny J. Crosby, 1820-1915 
1. Jesus, keep me near the cross; 
there a precious fountain, 
free to all, a healing stream, 
flows from Calvary's mountain. 
Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross, 
be my glory ever, 
till my raptured soul shall find 
rest beyond the river.
2. Near the cross, a trembling soul, 
love and mercy found me; 
there the bright and morning star 
sheds its beams around me. 
Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross, 
be my glory ever, 
till my raptured soul shall find 
rest beyond the river.
3. Near the cross! O Lamb of God, 
bring its scenes before me; 
help me walk from day to day 
with its shadow o'er me. 
Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross, 
be my glory ever, 
till my raptured soul shall find 
rest beyond the river.
4. Near the cross I'll watch and wait, 
hoping, trusting ever, 
till I reach the golden strand 
just beyond the river. 
Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross, 
be my glory ever, 
till my raptured soul shall find 
rest beyond the river.
_____________________________
Gary Lee Parker
4147 Idaho Street, Apt. 1
San Diego, California 92104-1844
____________________________
_

No comments:

Post a Comment