Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Tuesday, March 31, 2015 Scripture: Psalm 71:1 In you, Adonai, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
2 In your righteousness, rescue me;
and help me to escape.
Turn your ear toward me,
and deliver me.
3 Be for me a sheltering rock,
where I can always come.
You have determined to save me,
because you are my bedrock and stronghold.
4 My God, help me escape from the power of the wicked,
from the grasp of the unjust and ruthless.
5 For you are my hope, Adonai Elohim,
in whom I have trusted since I was young.
6 From birth I have relied on you;
it was you who took me from my mother’s womb.
7 To many, I am an amazing example;
but you are strong protection for me.
8 My mouth is full of praise for you,
filled with your glory all day long.
9 Don’t reject me when I grow old;
when my strength fails, don’t abandon me.
10 For my enemies are talking about me,
those seeking my life are plotting together.
11 They say, “God has abandoned him;
go after him, and seize him,
because no one will save him.”
12 God, don’t distance yourself from me!
My God, hurry to help me!
13 May those who are opposed to me
be put to shame and ruin;
may those who seek to harm me
be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 But I, I will always hope
and keep adding to your praise.[Complete Jewish Bible]
Refuge. A place of shelter, protection and safety. She came to us as a surprise. An American Staffordshire terrier; aka a pit bull. Her owner had to give her up and the dog needed a home. I called dog shelters and rescues, but she was turned away. This breed of dog comes with societal baggage.
Their tremendous loyalty and bold nature have been exploited by dog fighting rings. But in the hands of loving owners, and given the right amount of socialization, training and love, they are docile, affectionate family dogs. After a month of searching, I found a home for this dog. A refuge ... somewhere safe with someone good.
God is our refuge; safe and good. "You, O God are my strong refuge" (Psalm 71:7). We know Jesus as friend, the trustworthy compassionate presence. Our refuge, our rock, our redeemer. Sink into this in times of refuge. Count them as grace. Bless them as gift. Rejoice in that safe place.
God, our salvation, our vast, granite fortress: thank you for your tremendous loyalty, tenacity and bold nature to shelter and protect us. Your heart is our home. Amen.
Nancy Lee Gauche
Associate Director Children, Youth
and Family, Luther Seminary
Master of Divinity , 1984
Psalm 71:1 In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.
2 In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me.
3 Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.
4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel.
5 For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
6 Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you.
7 I have been like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.
8 My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all day long.
9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent.
10 For my enemies speak concerning me, and those who watch for my life consult together.
11 They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken, for there is no one to deliver."
12 O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!
13 Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.[New Revised Standard Version]
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment