Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Lutheran Senianry of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Sunday, March 29, 2015 "Just As I Am, Without One Plea" ELW 592

The Lutheran Senianry of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "GOD PAUSE DAILY DEVOTIONS" for Sunday, March 29, 2015 "Just As I Am, Without One Plea" ELW 592
1. Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
2. Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
3. Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come,
4. Just as I am; thy love unknown
has broken ev'ry barrier down;
now to be thine, yea, thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
In the small rural church of my Minnesota childhood, I remember Roy Erickson, well into his 70s, playing this hymn on his violin. Roy didn't read a single note of music; he played from memory. Every time he played this hymn, it was with great feeling. Free from having to follow the notes, he could focus in on one task: playing from his soul.
Today we remember Palm Sunday—a chaotic scene that begins the story of Christ's Passion. Yet as we go through the coming week, the story comes down to this one thing: we come just as we are, without one plea, in all the ways the hymn describes to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who grants us forgiveness and deals with us graciously. What amazing news! It is such a simple message, but one with great power that overcomes sin and death in our lives.
Gracious God, I stand before you this day just as I am, a sinner in need of your grace and forgiveness. Thank you so much for the promise of your son, a source of hope and power for each and every day. Amen.
Aaron Fuller
Pastor, St. Andrew and Holy Communion Lutheran
churches, Portsmouth, Va.
Lieutenant, Chaplain Corps, U.S. Navy Reserve
Master of Divinity , 2013
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment