Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States “This Changes Everything " for Wednesday, 1 April 2015 - Scripture: John 14:15-21,27

issue coverToday's Devotional:
The Upper Room Daily Devotional Nashville, Tennessee, United States This Changes Everything
" for Wednesday, 1 April 2015 - Scripture: John 14:15 “If you love me, you will keep my commands; 16 and I will ask the Father, and he will give you another comforting Counselor like me, the Spirit of Truth, to be with you forever. 17 The world cannot receive him, because it neither sees nor knows him. You know him, because he is staying with you and will be united with you. 18 I will not leave you orphans — I am coming to you. 19 In just a little while, the world will no longer see me; but you will see me. Because I live, you too will live. 20 When that day comes, you will know that I am united with my Father, and you with me, and I with you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me, and the one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”
27 “What I am leaving with you is shalom — I am giving you my shalom. I don’t give the way the world gives. Don’t let yourselves be upset or frightened.
God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.[John 3:16 (NIV)]
I had been diagnosed with a rare cancer. On Easter morning, my husband and I clung to each other in church, especially moved by our pastor’s proclamation, “Jesus died for our sins, and today he has risen and is alive. He conquered death so that we can live eternally in heaven with our merciful God. This, friends, changes everything.”
As we let the pastor’s words sink in, my husband and I exchanged a glance. Our minds were whirling with the news of my cancer and with the task of telling our children. In the past, I would have spun out of control with worry. But 12 years ago, I invited Jesus Christ to be Lord of my life. I trust him not only with my cancer but also with every breath I take and with my salvation when I leave this world.
Knowing that life is preparation for eternity and realizing that I am forgiven and will spend eternity with God gives me security and peace. Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). This, friends, changes everything. Because I feel Jesus’ constant love and presence, I can cope with my diagnosis, praying constantly, instead of worrying.
The Author: Kathleen Buskirk (California, USA)
Thought for the Day: The promise of Easter changes everything.
Prayer: Loving God, increase our faith, fill our hearts with your peace, and help us to trust you in all the circumstances of our lives. Amen.
Prayer focus: Cancer Patients

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment