Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Daily Guide. grow. pray. study. The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Friday, 24 June 2016 - "A God who runs to greet us"


The Daily Guide. grow. pray. study. The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Friday, 24 June 2016 - "A God who runs to greet us"
Daily Scripture: Luke 15:
17 “At last he came to his senses and said, ‘Any number of my father’s hired workers have food to spare; and here I am, starving to death! 18 I’m going to get up and go back to my father and say to him, “Father, I have sinned against Heaven and against you; 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired workers.” ’ 20 So he got up and started back to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity. He ran and threw his arms around him and kissed him warmly. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against Heaven and against you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son — ’ 22 but his father said to his slaves, ‘Quick, bring out a robe, the best one, and put it on him; and put a ring on his finger and shoes on his feet; 23 and bring the calf that has been fattened up, and kill it. Let’s eat and have a celebration! 24 For this son of mine was dead, but now he’s alive again! He was lost, but now he has been found!’ And they began celebrating.
Reflection Questions:“One of the happiest sights in the world comes when a lost dog is reunited with a master he loves. You just haven’t seen joy till you have seen that.”[Eldon Roark (Journalist; Author)]
There is nothing restrained or dignified about the way a dog who loves you welcomes you home after you’ve been away for a while. In Jesus' day, patriarchs, heads of household, did NOT run—people though it most undignified. But when the long-absent son in Jesus' story showed up on the road home, his father ran to greet him. God isn’t worried about being dignified—God is thrilled any time you take a step toward home.
  • In Jesus' story, the once cocky young man had hit bottom. He had no list of demands—he just hoped for a square meal in the servants’ quarters. What does it do for you to have your dog greet you exuberantly when you come dragging home after a bad day? What does it say to your heart to picture God racing down the road to embrace you, even when you are dragging yourself home to God?
  • The son despondently said, “I no longer deserve to be called your son.” The father wasn’t worried about “deserving,” any more than your dog is keeping score to see if you deserve a welcome. If being part of God’s family is not primarily about deserving, then what is it about? If it is not about deserving, then what moves you to change your life in positive ways when you are welcomed into the family?
Today’s Prayer:
Lord Jesus, as the old hymn put it, I have a “wandering heart.” But I want to keep turning back toward home. And I rejoice to know that you are always eager to welcome me, even when I’ve wandered. Amen.
-------
Insights from Ginger Rothhaas
Ginger Rothhaas is a seminary student at Saint Paul School of Theology and is serving in Congregational Care at The Church of the Resurrection.
Our dog Finnegan was born on April 1, 2015. Note the date…that says it all! He is high energy and is like a curly hurricane when he blows through the room. I think it is great irony that April Fool’s day is his birthday. This dog reminds me that God must have a sense of humor, because this puppy came to us in the busiest year of our life as a family and wrecked any sense of order or sanity we had remaining!
At an especially low
moment in my relationship with him, after two of my best pairs of shoes became chew toys….I looked into his eyes and said, “What are you here to teach me?” (This may sound enlightened, but really I was looking for something redeeming to erase my non-loving thoughts!) Besides responding with “pick up your shoes,” I felt that his eyes were saying to me, “I’m here to teach you what unbounded love looks like.”
His hurricane craziness is full of enthusiastic love. He has an endless love for life, people arriving at our house, and every trashcan he can find! No matter what Finnegan does, it is with a leap of curly joy and happy energy!
His love for us isn’t delivered in a dignified way, it is often clumsy and messy, but it feels great to be the recipient of love like that! I think that is how God calls us to love one another. With no reservation or pause, just pure unbounded love!
As exhausting as Finnegan’s happy energy can be, I am grateful that he reminds me to live big, to love unabashedly, to enjoy fine leather goods, and to love with great enthusiasm everyone I encounter!


Download the GPS App

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States
913.897.0120
---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment