Thursday, October 27, 2016

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from Wordaction of The Global Church of the Nazarene Publishing House in Kansas City, Missouri, United States "Promise: Faith Response" by Michael Paugh for Thursday, 27 October 2016 with Scripture: Genesis 15:1-7

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from Wordaction of The Global Church of the Nazarene Publishing House in Kansas City, Missouri, United States "Promise: Faith Response" by Michael Paugh for Thursday, 27 October 2016 with Scripture: Genesis 15:1-7
-------

"Promise: Faith Response" by Michael Paugh
Genesis 15:1 Some time later the word of Adonai came to Avram in a vision: “Don’t be afraid, Avram. I am your protector; your reward will be very great.” 2 Avram replied, “Adonai, God, what good will your gifts be to me if I continue childless; and Eli‘ezer from Dammesek inherits my possessions? 3 You haven’t given me a child,” Avram continued, “so someone born in my house will be my heir.” 4 But the word of Adonai came to him: “This man will not be your heir. No, your heir will be a child from your own body.” 5 Then he brought him outside and said, “Look up at the sky, and count the stars — if you can count them! Your descendants will be that many!” 6 He believed in Adonai, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
(vi) 7 Then he said to him, “I am Adonai, who brought you out from Ur-Kasdim to give you this land as your possession.”
-------
Abraham is known in both the Old and New Testament as a righteous person. The English word “righteous” originates from the Old English word, rihtwis, which meant “right” and “wise.” In Genesis 15, it is clearly Abraham’s faith in God that reckoned, or accounted, him as righteous. God accepted Abraham not because Abraham led a perfect life, but because of his wise responsiveness to God’s promises. Genesis 15:6, “Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness,” is quoted three times in the New Testament, demonstrating that salvation by faith was not a new concept. Therefore, we can see that even in the Old Testament, God’s promise of love and grace was not contingent on our moral perfection, but our response to God’s promises.
God’s promises are the same to us as to Abraham. The question is, how will we respond? Will we accept this gift with a grateful heart, or will we try to receive these promises through our own efforts? today, let us all be wise like "Abraham, the man of faith" [Galatians 3:9].
-------
Hymn for Today: "The Solid Rock" by Edward Mote
1. My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
2. When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace;
in every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
3. His oath, his covenant, his blood
support me in the whelming flood;
when all around my soul gives way,
he then is all my hope and stay.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
4. When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in him be found,
dressed in his righteousness alone,
faultless to stand before the throne.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
-------
Thought of the Day: Romans 4:5 However, in the case of one who is not working but rather is trusting in him who makes ungodly people righteous, his trust is credited to him as righteousness.
-------
Please Pray: For the Development of Christian leaders in Saint Martin.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment