Monday, October 31, 2016

The Deaf Devo from The Deaf Missions in Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States "Near to God" Bible Reading: Psalm 16:1-11 for Monday, 31 October 2016


The Deaf Devo from The Deaf Missions in Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States "Near to GodBible Reading: Psalm 16:1-11 for Monday, 31 October 2016
Psalm 16:(0) Mikhtam. By David:
(1) Protect me, God,
for you are my refuge.
2 I said to Adonai, “You are my Lord;
I have nothing good outside of you.”
3 The holy people in the land are the ones
who are worthy of honor; all my pleasure is in them.
4 Those who run after another god
multiply their sorrows;
To such gods I will not offer
drink offerings of blood
or take their names on my lips.
5 Adonai, my assigned portion, my cup:
you safeguard my share.
6 Pleasant places were measured out for me;
I am content with my heritage.
7 I bless Adonai, my counselor;
at night my inmost being instructs me.
8 I always set Adonai before me;
with him at my right hand, I can never be moved;
9 so my heart is glad, my glory rejoices,
and my body too rests in safety;
10 for you will not abandon me to Sh’ol,
you will not let your faithful one see the Abyss.
11 You make me know the path of life;
in your presence is unbounded joy,
in your right hand eternal delight.
-------
When I sit in my easy chair, our little dog, Max, jumps up and sits with me. He likes to be near me. Why? Because I feed him, take him for walks and play with him. I love having Max sit with me, so I never tell him, "Go away! I'm too busy to sit with you now."
Just as Max likes to be near me, I like to be near God. I like to talk to Him and have Him talk to me through the Bible. God provides the things I need - food, clothing and a place to live. God never says to me, "I don't have time for you."
The writer of Psalm 16 liked to be near God, too. He depended on God to take care of him. In verse 11 the writer says, "You will teach me the right way to live. Just being with you will bring complete happiness. Being at your right side will make me happy forever."
I hope that you like to be near God. He loves you and will always provide for you. Take some time today to be with God![DJH*]
"I love you, Lord! You are my strength. The Lord is my Rock, my fortress, my place of safety. He is my God, the Rock I run to for protection."[Psalm 18:1-2a]

PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for loving me and taking care of me. I want to stay close to You every day. In Jesus' name. Amen
-------

The Deaf Devo from The Deaf Missions in Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States "Psalm 119 (10)Bible Reading: Psalm 119:73-80 for Sunday, 30 October 2016
Psalm 119:י (Yud)
73 Your hands made and formed me;
give me understanding, so I can learn your mitzvot.
74 Those who fear you rejoice at the sight of me,
because I put my hope in your word.
75 I know, Adonai, that your rulings are righteous,
that even when you humble me you are faithful.
76 Let your grace comfort me,
in keeping with your promise to your servant.
77 Show me pity, and I will live,
for your Torah is my delight.
78 Let the proud be ashamed, because they wrong me with lies;
as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
79 Let those who fear you turn to me,
along with those who know your instruction.
80 Let my heart be pure in your laws,
so that I won’t be put to shame.
-------
It was early in the morning when the phone rang. It was our local veterinarian. He told me that our dog had died during the night. Our dog had been my close companion for 14 years.
After I hung up the phone, I thought about how our dog had looked the day before when she could not walk. As I walked around the house I found her favorite toy and blanket. I held them and sat on the couch and cried. I could not even think of the words to pray to God. All I could think of was to ask God to comfort me.
Perhaps that is how the writer of Psalm 119 felt. In verses 76-77a he said, "Now comfort me with your faithful love, as you promised. Comfort me and let me live." God did comfort me. He helped me know that He understood how I felt. God helped me smile and think about good memories of our dog.
No matter what you face today, remember that God will be with you and show you His comfort and love.[BH]
"I was very worried and upset, but you comforted me and made me happy!"[Psalm 94:19]

PRAYER: Lord, when I face times of trouble, I know that You will comfort me. Thank You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

-------
Watch latest Deaf Devo in ASL on:
Website | YouTube | Facebook | App


Deaf Missions
21199 Greenview Road
Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment