Friday, February 24, 2017

The Daily Devotional of The Upper Room in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Still Here?" for Saturday, February 25, 2017 with Scripture Ecclesiastes 3:9-15

The Daily Devotional of The Upper Room in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Still Here?" for Saturday, February 25, 2017 with Scripture Ecclesiastes 3:9 What does the worker gain from his efforts? 10 I have seen the task God has given humanity to keep us occupied. 11 He has made everything suited to its time; also, he has given human beings an awareness of eternity; but in such a way that they can’t fully comprehend, from beginning to end, the things God does. 12 I know that there is nothing better for them to do than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live. 13 Still, the fact that everyone can eat and drink and enjoy the good that results from all his work, is a gift of God. 14 I know that
whatever God does will last forever;
there is nothing to add or subtract from it;
and God has done it so that people will fear him.
15 That which was is here already;
and that which will be has already been,
but God seeks out what people chase after.
-------
The psalmist wrote, “Help me understand what your precepts are about so I can contemplate your wondrous works![Psalm 119:27 (CEB)]
As a child, I would pore over maps, all the while fantasizing about packing a suitcase and exploring the world. In high school, my plan of action was simple: to become a travel writer. I would taste exotic cuisine, collect unique trinkets, gain profound insights, and of course do my Christian duty by evangelizing captive audiences on long flights.
Had God himself told me that years later I’d still be in Indiana, ministering to teenagers no less, I probably would not have believed it. But here I am, and I’m discovering that the wonders of the world that I had once sought are displayed in the gradually shifting culture just beyond my front door.
I’m not where I intended to be or doing the things I once dreamed I’d do. Sometimes I wrestle with resentment about the direction my life has taken. But I can say with confidence that God’s extraordinary presence is not banned from ordinary places. Discovering admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy things (see Phil. 4:8) doesn’t require traveling far. It just requires following God’s purpose for our gifts and abilities wherever God may lead. I might not be where I expected to be, but God is doing great things where I am and letting me be a part of it. That’s an adventure I’m excited to stick around for.
Read more from the author, here.

"More from Megan L. Anderson"
Imagining a young David strumming his harp in the fields, I wonder where his thoughts wandered. Did he feel any inkling that he was perhaps meant for more, that his time watching his father’s sheep was preparing him to shepherd God’s flock? If so, did he wrestle with a similar discontentment in his circumstances as I do in mine?
Though I have no aspirations of grandeur, I do often feel as though I’m meant for a different life than what I currently lead. Visions of wasted time and potential sometimes dance a haunting waltz through my head. Fearful thoughts like Is this all my life amounts to? creep in like thieves of joy in the night. That isn’t to say where I am is a bad place to be, but it certainly doesn’t feel like where I’m meant to stay. But if not here, then where? If not doing this, then what? If not now, when?
Doubt and discontentment are natural symptoms of growth; they nudge us away from the pitfalls of apathy and complacency. At the same time, a lack of clear direction can be taxing on our hearts. Mercifully, God gives us enough for one step at a time:
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving”(Colossians 3:23-24).
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
“So then, let us rid ourselves of everything that gets in the way, and of the sin which holds on to us so tightly, and let us run with determination the race that lies before us. Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end” (Hebrews 12:1b-2a).
David may or may not have held ambitions greater than playing his harp for an audience of sheep. We don't know what sense of purpose he felt apart from devoting his life to God. But we do know he did his best where he was and that prepared him to become king. If, like me, you're struggling to find purpose and joy where you are--unsure of what your next life step is supposed to be--I hope you find encouragement to pursue righteousness in your circumstances and trust that God intends your experience now to be preparation for something greater ahead.[Megan L. Anderson]
The Author: Megan L. Anderson (Indiana, USA)
Thought for the Day: How has God changed and exceeded my plans?
Prayer: Dear God, help us see the beautiful things you are doing around us wherever we are. Amen.
Prayer focus: 
Those who feel discontent

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment