Monday, August 28, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 29 August 2017 - Psalm 26:1-8


The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 29 August 2017 - Psalm 26:1-8
Psalm 26:1
 (0) By David:
(1) Vindicate me, Adonai,
for I have lived a blameless life;
unwaveringly I trust in Adonai.
2 Examine me, Adonai, test me,
search my mind and heart.
3 For your grace is there before my eyes,
and I live my life by your truth.
4 I have not sat with worthless folks,
I won’t consort with hypocrites,
5 I hate the company of evildoers,
I will not sit with the wicked.
6 I will wash my hands in innocence
and walk around your altar, Adonai,
7 lifting my voice in thanks
and proclaiming all your wonders.
8 Adonai, I love the house where you live,
the place where your glory abides.
(Complete Jewish Bible)
-------
Have you ever wanted to be vindicated? I have! I rarely enter into debates without a self-righteous belief that I am factually correct. Today with Google and Wikipedia it's easy to prove you're correct about anything, no matter how miniscule.
Last week I played in an adult slow-pitch softball league. This is much more serious than it sounds. The umpire called the other team's runner safe at third, despite all of us clearly hearing the thud of a glove hitting her back before her cleat hit the bag. "She was out!" The next batter hit an easy fly ball and we were out of the inning, winning the game. Vindicated!
Life is more difficult than softball. Often I want God to prove me right, to vindicate me as the psalmist pleads. Instead, God often asks me to wait. Listen. Despite my self-righteous conviction, occasionally I am wrong. Sometimes my facts are right but my emotions off-target. Sometimes I misread motives. Sometimes I need to be vindicated; sometimes I need God to show me where I'm wrong.
Lord Jesus, vindicate the oppressed, the wrongfully accused, the unjustly convicted, the innocent behind bars. And Lord when I seek to be vindicated, remind me to also seek your grace and mercy. Amen.
Angela Denker, '13
Pastor and Freelance Writer, Minneapolis, Minn.
Psalm 26:1 Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
2 Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and mind.
3 For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in faithfulness to you.
4 I do not sit with the worthless, nor do I consort with hypocrites;
5 I hate the company of evildoers, and will not sit with the wicked.
6 I wash my hands in innocence, and go around your altar, O Lord,
7 singing aloud a song of thanksgiving, and telling all your wondrous deeds.
8 O Lord, I love the house in which you dwell, and the place where your glory abides.
 (New Revised Standard Version)
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment