Monday, August 28, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "STORING UP TREASURE" for Tuesday, 29 August 2017 - Read Matthew 6:19-24


issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "STORING UP TREASURE" for Tuesday, 29 August 2017 - Read Matthew 6:19-24
-------

Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves wealth here on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and burglars break in and steal. 20 Instead, store up for yourselves wealth in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and burglars do not break in or steal. 21 For where your wealth is, there your heart will be also. 22 ‘The eye is the lamp of the body.’ So if you have a ‘good eye’ [that is, if you are generous] your whole body will be full of light; 23 but if you have an ‘evil eye’ [if you are stingy] your whole body will be full of darkness. If, then, the light in you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 No one can be slave to two masters; for he will either hate the first and love the second, or scorn the second and be loyal to the first. You can’t be a slave to both God and money.
-------
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth. . . . But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . . For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. [Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)]
During the first two years of my camp ministry, my bed was small, squeaky, and lumpy. When I moved to a new camp, I celebrated by purchasing the nicest mattress I could afford — and with it a custom bed frame. It was the best bed I’d ever had.
Later, health concerns required me to return to my hometown. Unfortunately, I could not take all my belongings with me. My SUV was too unpredictable for this long trip, and I was too young to rent a truck. I could fit most of my belongings into a few suitcases, but I did not have room for my precious bed. I considered spending hundreds of dollars for shipping. But God showed me that I was trying to cling to my treasures here on earth instead of storing up treasure in heaven.
A short time later, I met a couple involved with a Christian foster care organization. They needed beds for children, and my particular type of bed was ideal. When they came over to take my bed away, I might have mourned the loss of the best piece of furniture I had ever owned. Instead, because God helped me to change my focus, I was able to rejoice because my bed was meeting someone else’s need.
The Author: Jessica Lippe (Oregon, USA)
Thought for the Day: I can use my earthly gifts for a heavenly purpose.
Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to glorify you by using the gifts you have given us to help others. Amen.
Prayer focus: CHILDREN IN FOSTER CARE
------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment