Saturday, June 16, 2018

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 17 June 2018 - "On My Heart Imprint Your Image," ELW 811

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 17 June 2018 - "On My Heart Imprint Your Image," ELW 811
On my heart imprint your image,
blessed Jesus, king of grace,
that life's troubles nor its pleasures
ever may your work erase.
Let the clear inscription be:
Jesus, crucified for me,
is my life, my hope's foundation,
all my glory and salvation!

***
My Dad was the stock inspector for the county. No livestock crossed the county line without him checking to make sure the brand on the livestock matched the owner. By the brand, he knew what belonged to whom.
"On my heart imprint your image" makes me think of baptism, where we are "branded" with the cross of Christ and sealed with the Holy Spirit forever. We can't see this brand but it is there, reminding us to whom we belong. We are named and claimed children of God. Nothing can erase that. Simple. Beautiful. True.
This is such a simple song and tune--and that is what I like about it. Sometimes we try to make things too hard. We may think that a grander, splashier, "wow-ier" presentation of the gospel would serve us better. But we need only lift up Christ. It can be just that simple.
You, Lord, are beautiful and true. Forgive us when we make things too complicated. Thank you for your forever "brand" on our lives. Amen.
Laurie Neill, '12
Discipleship Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Fargo, ND
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55108, United State
***

No comments:

Post a Comment