Saturday, July 28, 2018

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 29 July 2018 - "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," ELW 697

The God Pause from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 29 July 2018 - "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," ELW 697
1. Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
2. I am weak but thou art strong:
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
as I walk, let me walk close to thee.
3. Through this world of toil and snares,
if I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but thee, dear Lord, none but thee.
4. When my feeble life is o'er,
time for me will be no more;
guide me gently, safely o'er
to thy kingdom shore, to thy shore.

***
I was walking in downtown Seattle recently and came upon a group of preschoolers being led by their teacher through the busy sidewalks of a bustling city. I noticed that each one of them had a band around their wrist and rope through it that connected then to the rest of the group and the teacher. She was able to keep them corralled and moving in the right direction thanks to this set up. It was fun to watch them follow around turns and up and down steep hills--always connected to the person in front and behind them.
This image came to mind as I was humming the tune to "Just a Closer Walk with Thee"--one of my favorite hymns. It beautifully paints the picture of full dependence on Jesus. Like the preschoolers depended fully on the rope and the person in front of them to know the way, we too can find that same security and comfort in Jesus. Walking close with Jesus in our daily life certainly helps us step over and around some of the deep cracks in the sidewalks of life.
Gracious God thank you for your never-ending presence. As we walk this road of life help us stay connected to you and walk close by your side wherever we go. Lead us and guide us, O Lord. Amen.

Justin A. Grimm '05
Director for Evangelical Mission Assistant to the Bishop for Next Generation Ministries, St. Paul Area Synod, ELCA St. Paul, Minn.
***
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment