Monday, July 30, 2018

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Monday, 30 July 2018 "I Am Not Alone" Tammy Jones (Florida) Isaiah 43:1-3

(Image: Pixabay)
The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Monday, 30 July 2018 "I Am Not Alone" Tammy Jones (Florida) Isaiah 43:1-3
The LORD said, “You will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:12-13 (NIV))
When I would look into the smiling, infant faces of my three sons and hold their tiny fingers, I dreamed of all they’d grow up to be. Never did I imagine that decades later, one of my sons would struggle with drug addiction, and I would be visiting him in jail.
Devastated, I sobbed in the arms of family and friends. Doubtful, I joined a prayer group. Ashamed, I became involved with Nar-Anon, a support group for family and friends of addicts. Soon, I began to feel some comfort. Praying for one another, we were strengthened. A new understanding of addiction and its effects replaced my shame with compassion. With our hope renewed, our family became better together.
At times we may find ourselves trapped in a crisis and feeling helpless, alone, devastated, or terrified. We may scream for help only to feel that no one hears or cares. But we are not alone. God loves us and doesn’t want us to face our nightmares without help. God reaches out to show love for us through other people. Our scripture reminds us of the Lord’s promise: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
TODAY'S PRAYER: Thank you, compassionate God, for hearing our cries, listening to the prayers of our hearts, and helping us to find you in the love you show through others. In the name of your son, Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.
TODAY'S READING: Isaiah 43:
1 But now this is what Adonai says,he who created you, Ya‘akov,
he who formed you, Isra’el:
“Don’t be afraid, for I have redeemed you;
I am calling you by your name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through water, I will be with you;
when you pass through rivers, they will not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire, you will not be scorched —
the flame will not burn you.
3 For I am Adonai, your God,
the Holy One of Isra’el, your Savior —
I have given Egypt as your ransom,
Ethiopia and S’va for you.
(Complete Jewish Bible).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God shows me love through the kindness and support of my friends.
PRAYER FOCUS: Families dealing with addiction
***

No comments:

Post a Comment