Friday, May 29, 2015

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Global Church of the Nazarene of Lenexa, Kansas, United States for Friday, 29 May 2015 - No Other Gods" Scripture: Acts 17:16-34


RG AUDIO 052915
Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Global Church of the Nazarene of Lenexa, Kansas, United States for Friday, 29 May 2015 - No Other Gods" Scripture: Acts 17:16 While Sha’ul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him was disturbed at the sight of the city full of idols. 17 So he began holding discussions in the synagogue with the Jews and the “God-fearers,” and in the market square every day with the people who happened to be there.
18 Also a group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers started meeting with him. Some asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others, because he proclaimed the Good News about Yeshua and the resurrection, said, “He sounds like a propagandist for foreign gods.” 19 They took and brought him before the High Council, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 Some of the things we are hearing from you strike us as strange, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners living there used to spend their spare time talking or hearing about the latest intellectual fads.)
22 Sha’ul stood up in the Council meeting and said, “Men of Athens: I see how very religious you are in every way! 23 For as I was walking around, looking at your shrines, I even found an altar which had been inscribed, ‘To An Unknown God.’ So, the one whom you are already worshipping in ignorance — this is the one I proclaim to you.
24 “The God who made the universe and everything in it, and who is Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in man-made temples; 25 nor is he served by human hands, as if he lacked something; since it is he himself who gives life and breath and everything to everyone.
26 “From one man he made every nation living on the entire surface of the earth, and he fixed the limits of their territories and the periods when they would flourish. 27 God did this so that people would look for him and perhaps reach out and find him although in fact, he is not far from each one of us, 28 ‘for in him we live and move and exist.’ Indeed, as some of the poets among you have said, ‘We are actually his children.’ 29 So, since we are children of God, we shouldn’t suppose that God’s essence resembles gold, silver or stone shaped by human technique and imagination.
30 “In the past, God overlooked such ignorance; but now he is commanding all people everywhere to turn to him from their sins. 31 For he has set a Day when he will judge the inhabited world, and do it justly, by means of a man whom he has designated. And he has given public proof of it by resurrecting this man from the dead.”
32 At the mention of a resurrection of dead people, some began to scoff; while others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 So Sha’ul left the meeting. 34 But some men stayed with him and came to trust, including the High Council member Dionysius; there was also a woman named Damaris; and others came to trust along with them.
"No Other Gods" by Author: Kimberly Davidson
There is something enthralling about the city of Athens. Athens is a city with a glorious history, where people worshipped magical gods. One of the most influential civilizations in the ancient world flourished in Athens. Today this divine city still is alive and large.
Historic Athens was no different than our world today–a city full of counterfeit idols, where a culture pursued pleasure. When we repeatedly worship worldly treasures instead of God, He calls that idolatry. Idolatry elevates pleasure in things, position, or people above pleasure in God. God considers that a sin. In this view of life everything must be evaluated on whether it satisfies our desires. We devour the bait because we are spiritually hungry.
What we humans really desire, and long for, is a connection to God Almighty. God wants us to step out in faith, to bury our idols and false gods–those things that rival His rightful place in our lives. Only He has the power, and the desire, to give us a better life.
Hymn for Today: "No Other God" by Wayne Watson [
Isaiah 29: 13/Jeremiah 51: 17-18/Exodus 20: 3]
1. My temple is built on wood and of stone
Each space is filled with the things that I own
Idols and gods that call me to bow
I try to be free but there's no freedom now... No freedom now
The ones I hold dear--Those most precious to me
Some days I set them afloat on an indifferent sea
And these things in first place--They're worth nothing at all
At night in my dreams graven images call
Chorus
And my gods won't let me sleep
And what a man sows that he will reap
I toss and turn at night
I've got places to go, got battles to fight
And my gods won't let me sleep... Tonight
Ambitions once good--Once noble and pure
Now rule with a rod and I cannot endure
Those bonds I have forged with two will hands
They're not easily torn by the strength of a man
Chorus
No other gods before you--No other holy shrines
Oh, I want to sleep in peace when I lie down
All other voices calling
All of the hands that pull me
Call and demand allegiance to their crown
Chorus
One day recently past, I spent several hours trying to restore my
Reputation in a fellow man's eye. My anxiety lasted into the
Early hours of the morning. I realized that my reputation
(whatever there is of one) was ruling me from God's chair.
Things, not bad in themselves, can be relentless masters when put
In the place of rule reserved for the Lord
____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment