Friday, May 29, 2015

"When Christians disappoint us" by Stephen M. Miller for Friday, 29 May 2015 Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller.


"When Christians disappoint us" by Stephen M. Miller for Friday, 29 May 2015 Bible blog of award-winning bestselling Christian author, Stephen M. Miller.
SAD EYES. Christians sometimes disappoint us. The challenge comes in our reaction – sometimes a knee jerk. Which seems wonderfully appropriate since it feels like a reaction fit for a jerk. Photo by eyesogreen/flickr.
THE GUY WHO BUILT MY HOUSE said he was a Christian.
I probably should have felt badly about chasing him off my property. But I didn’t. And I don’t. I’d do it again if he came back. The crook.
When his painters outside painted over the mud boards and the paint peeled off when the sprinkler started watering the sod, he bought me a paint brush and gave me the leftover paint.
When our front door leaked every time the storm blew in from the west, he came with caulk. For a year.
I replaced the front door myself, billed him the retail price, and threatened him with my homeowner’s insurance company lawyer – as my agent instructed. Then I told him, “Get off my property!”
He never came back. Good riddance. That was back in the year 2000.
Christians like that I can do without. They give Christians a bad name.
And they bring out the worst in me.
I’m not sure what to do about it.
I’m not just reliving old wounds. I’m dealing now with some royal jerks in Christian places who need chased off the property.
They have done me a disservice. They’ve done a disservice to my colleagues. And I would like to kick them in the butt.
Help me Jesus.
Not to kick them in the butt, but to not kick them in the butt. That’s what I’d like Jesus’ help with.
I’m fairly blunt when people do me dirt. As the builder discovered…and a few others along the way.
For me, the most irritating people of all are the supposed Christians who do the kind of stuff that even non-Christians know is wrong. And they do it anyhow. Usually because it makes them more money. And they feel they can get away with it.
Which would mean Jesus got it wrong. We can serve both God and money.
I so want to judge these people. I’m okay with not judging people outside the faith. Most of the time, anyhow. But people who say they are Christian insiders yet they exploit and diminish those around them, I want to judge them, condemn them, and beat them over the head with my new fedora hat, which nobody wants me to wear.
And I’d like to find a Bible verse to let me do it.
If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff (Luke 30:30).
Well, that’s not it.
Random book winners this week
Hector Sanchez
Deanetta Thompson
I give away free books each week to randomly selected subscribers to my free blog and quarterly newsletter.
Hector and Deanetta are random this week.
The post When Christians disappoint us appeared first on Stephen M. Miller.

Recent Articles:What to do when the news is depressing
How the Lamb of God gave me goosebumps
Jacob was a heel
Bless your kids dumbstruck
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment