Friday, May 29, 2015

RezChat News from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection West of Olathe, Kansas, United States for Friday, 29 May 2015 with Stephen M. Miller

RezChat News from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection West of Olathe, Kansas, United States for Friday, 29 May 2015 with Stephen M. Miller
Newsletter of RezChat, a RezWest Bible study group open to all souls curious about the Bible.
We ask the tough questions. And we'd like answers. 
CONTENTS
Respiratory crud
RezChat calendar
Sunday's Session: I've been changed
Moving Erin: thanks

RESPIRATORY CRUD
Sorry I missed class last Sunday, and the moving day event for Erin Cottrell on Saturday. I was out of circulation for a week with the respiratory crud going around.
Now Linda has it. She has been horizontal since Tuesday. She just got meds today.
REZCHAT CALENDAR
Chewables and cafe: Gary and Bette Tranbarger
Sunday's Session: Peter, from coward to braveheart, Jim Buffington
Second Sunday Social: June 14
Feed the hungry, Central United Methodist Church, Saturday Sept. 12
Fly fishing for church gents, August 28-30
May:
I've been changed
SUNDAY
I'VE BEEN CHANGED. That's the title of our next 4-week series. It's about how people change...some for better, some for worse.
5.31. Jim Buffington Peter, from coward to braveheart
Denial: Lk 22:54-62; Bravery: Acts 2:1-4; 14-16, 40-41
Denial: Luke 22:54 Having seized him, they led him away and brought him into the house of the cohen hagadol. Kefa followed at a distance; 55 but when they had lit a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Kefa joined them. 56 One of the servant girls saw him sitting in the light of the fire, stared at him and said, “This man also was with him.” 57 But he denied it: “Lady, I don’t even know him.” 58 A little later, someone else saw him and said, “You’re one of them too”; but Kefa said, “Man, I am not!” 59 About an hour later, another man asserted emphatically, “There can be no doubt that this fellow was with him, because he too is from the Galil!” 60 But Kefa said, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” And instantly, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Kefa; and Kefa remembered what the Lord had said, “Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.” 62 And he went outside and cried bitterly.
Bravery: Acts 2:1 The festival of Shavu‘ot arrived, and the believers all gathered together in one place. 2 Suddenly there came a sound from the sky like the roar of a violent wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire, which separated and came to rest on each one of them. 4 They were all filled with the Ruach HaKodesh and began to talk in different languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak.
14 Then Kefa stood up with the Eleven and raised his voice to address them: “You Judeans, and all of you staying here in Yerushalayim! Let me tell you what this means! Listen carefully to me!
15 “These people ar en’t drunk, as you suppose — it’s only nine in the morning. 16 No, this is what was spoken about through the prophet Yo’el:
40 He pressed his case with many other arguments and kept pleading with them, “Save yourselves from this perverse generation!”
41 So those who accepted what he said were immersed, and there were added to the group that day about three thousand people.
UPCOMING
6.7. Steve Miller. From Christian-killer Saul to Rev. Paul
Acts 22:1-16
Acts 22:1 “Brothers and fathers! Listen to me as I make my defense before you now!” 2 When they heard him speaking to them in Hebrew, they settled down more; so he continued: 3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city and trained at the feet of Gamli’el in every detail of the Torah of our forefathers. I was a zealot for God, as all of you are today. 4 I persecuted to death the followers of this Way, arresting both men and women and throwing them in prison. 5 The cohen hagadol and the whole Sanhedrin can also testify to this. Indeed, after receiving letters from them to their colleagues in Dammesek, I was on my way there in order to arrest the ones in that city too and bring them back to Yerushalayim for punishment.
6 “As I was traveling and approaching Dammesek, around noon, suddenly a brilliant light from heaven flashed all around me! 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Sha’ul! Sha’ul! Why do you keep persecuting me?’ 8 I answered, ‘Sir, who are you?’ ‘I am Yeshua from Natzeret,’ he said to me, ‘and you are persecuting me!’ 9 Those who were with me did see the light, but they didn’t hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. 10 I said ‘What should I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Get up, and go into Dammesek, and there you will be told about everything that has been laid out for you to do.’ 11 I had been blinded by the brightness of the light, so my companions led me by the hand into Dammesek.
12 “A man named Hananyah, an observant follower of the Torah who was highly regarded by the entire Jewish community there, 13 came to me, stood by me and said, ‘Brother Sha’ul, see again!’ And at that very moment, I recovered my sight and saw him. 14 He said, ‘The God of our fathers[a] determined in advance that you should know his will, see the Tzaddik and hear his voice; 15 because you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard. 16 So now, what are you waiting for? Get up, immerse yourself and have your sins washed away as you call on his name.’[Footnotes:
Acts 22:14 Exodus 3:15]
6.14. Open date. How wise King Solomon got stupid. He died worshipping idols.
1 Kings 4:29-34; 11:1-13
1 Kings 4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and very great understanding—insight as long as the seashore itself. 30 Solomon’s wisdom was greater than all the famous Easterners, greater even than all the wisdom of Egypt. 31 He was wiser than anyone, more wise than Ethan the Ezrahite or Mahol’s sons: Heman, Calcol, and Darda. His reputation was known throughout the region. 32 Solomon spoke three thousand proverbs and one thousand five songs. 33 He described the botany of trees, whether the cedar in Lebanon or the hyssop that grows out of the wall. He also described cattle, birds, anything that crawls on the ground, and fish. 34 People came from everywhere to listen to Solomon’s wisdom; even the earth’s kings who had heard about his wisdom came!
11:1 King Shlomo loved many foreign women besides the daughter of Pharaoh. There were women from the Mo’avi, ‘Amoni, Edomi, Tzidoni and Hitti — 2 nations about which Adonai had said to the people of Isra’el, “You are not to go among them or they among you, because they will turn your hearts away toward their gods.” But Shlomo was deeply attached to them by his love. 3 He had 700 wives, all princesses, and 300 concubines; and his wives turned his heart away. 4 For when Shlomo became old, his wives turned his heart away toward other gods; so that he was not wholehearted with Adonai his God, as David his father had been. 5 For Shlomo followed ‘Ashtoret the goddess of the Tzidoni and Milkom the abomination of the ‘Amoni. 6 Thus Shlomo did what was evil in Adonai’s view and did not fully follow Adonai, as David his father had done. 7 Shlomo built a high place for K’mosh the abomination of Mo’av on the hill on front of Yerushalayim, and another for Molekh the abomination of the people of ‘Amon. 8 This is what he did for all his foreign wives, who then offered and sacrificed to their gods. 9 So Adonai grew angry with Shlomo, because his heart had turned away from Adonai the God of Isra’el, who had appeared to him twice 10 and given him orders concerning this matter that he should not follow other gods. But he didn’t obey Adonai’s orders.
11 So Adonai said to Shlomo, “Since this is what has been in your mind, and you haven’t kept my covenant and my regulations which I ordered you to obey, I will tear the kingdom from you and give it to your servant. 12 However, for David your father’s sake I won’t do it while you are alive, but I will tear it away from your son. 13 Even then, I won’t tear away all the kingdom; I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Yerushalayim, which I have chosen.”
6.21 (Father's Day). Keith Larkin. Godly advice from Homer Simpson
Video clips and discussion
Moving Erin: thanks
Thanks to the following RezChat souls who helped Erin Cottrell move from Lawrence to Olathe last Saturday:
Terry and Cris Bahadur (special thanks to them for arranging for the U-Haul Truck and for Terry driving it.)
Linda Miller, who was filling in for her sick husband
Jim and Rose Buffington
Gary Tranbarger
Even I am tired of the rain.

Steve
Facebook
Twitter
Steve's website
Subscribe to Steve's blog
Forward to a friend
YouTube
Pinterest
Google Plus
LinkedIn
Our mailing address is:
Stephen M. Miller
PO Box 2712
Olathe, Kansas 66063 United States
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment