Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Daily Guide/Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States - "Why parables?"

Daily Guide/Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States - "Why parables?"

Daily Scripture: Matthew 13:10 Then the talmidim came and asked Yeshua, “Why are you speaking to them in parables?” 11 He answered, “Because it has been given to you to know the secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven, but it has not been given to them. 12 For anyone who has something will be given more, so that he will have plenty; but from anyone who has nothing, even what he does have will be taken away. 13 Here is why I speak to them in parables: they look without seeing and listen without hearing or understanding. 14 That is, in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Yesha‘yahu which says,
‘You will keep on hearing but never understand,
and keep on seeing but never perceive,
15 because the heart of this people has become dull —
with their ears they barely hear,
and their eyes they have closed,
so as not to see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their heart,
and do t’shuvah,
so that I could heal them.’
16 But you, how blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear!
Reflection Questions:
Jesus' disciples asked him why he used parables when speaking to the crowds. Jesus quoted Isaiah 6:9-10, words people often misunderstand. The words were an ironic picture of how closed most people’s minds and hearts already were. The CEB Study Bible said God gave the prophet “a contrary message for people who haven’t been listening.” Neither Isaiah nor Jesus meant that God wanted people to close their minds and hearts (cf. Matthew 13:35, which we read yesterday).
  • Professor C. F. D. Moule once said, “You can’t teach by spoon feeding. You must let people puzzle it out for themselves.” How does his comment suggest at least one reason Jesus used parables? When have you understood Jesus' message more deeply by wrestling with some part of it yourself rather than having someone else hand you an answer?
  • When Jesus said that “those who have will receive more….as for those who don’t have, even the little they have will be taken away from them” (verse 12), he wasn’t saying God would arbitrarily take anything away from those who “don’t have.” He was stating the simple fact that if we use muscles, they grow, but left idle, they wither away. In what ways have you “received more” when you have intentionally developed your spiritual “muscles”? 
Today’s Prayer:
Lord Jesus, you came to bring light and life. Guide me as I keep learning how to live into the life you offer, how to stretch myself and grow in the atmosphere of your grace. Amen.
Insights from Nicole Alison
Nicole Alison serves as Coordinating Assistant to Operations at The Church of the Resurrection. Nicole finds her voice through writing. In her spare time she is a personal blogger and a ghost- writer for the Next Steps Pastor at a local church in Lenexa. Her passion is to share the love of Jesus through personal stories of redemption.
A parable can be thought of as an earthly story with a heavenly message. What I love about parables is that they proclaim truth in a relateable way. And what better way to learn about Jesus than when we can meet with Him right where we are in life? I love the Parable of the Sower (Mark 4:2-9), and how a common man scattered seed onto the earth and without any further effort watched the seeds grow from wee little sprouts to a full blown harvest! I can draw a relateable truth from this parable–I need to plant the word of God in my heart, let it take root, and watch God work in my life.
I think of the “seed” that I scatter as my spiritual gift–which is encouragement. There are days and even months that I put myself out there, and stretch my spiritual muscles, and don’t see the fruit of my actions. I’m left to wonder if I’m really making a difference. But in those times I have to trust that God is still at work, and I have to learn to fully rely on Him. Like in the Parable of the Sower, I choose to trust beautiful things are happening, even though I can’t quite grasp what is going on in the present. As long as I allow the heavenly message to be engrained on my heart, I know it will be reflected in my actions, and bring forth God’s plan for my life in a way that will reap a great harvest.


Download the GPS App

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224 United States
913.897.0120
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment