Monday, June 29, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 30 June 2015 "God Pause Daily Devotion" Scripture: Psalm 123

The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 30 June 2015 "God Pause Daily Devotion" Scripture: Psalm 123:(0) A song of ascents:
(1) I raise my eyes to you,
whose throne is in heaven.
2 As a servant looks to the hand of his master,
or a slave-girl to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes turn to Adonai our God,
until he has mercy on us.
3 Have mercy on us, Adonai, have mercy;
for we have had our fill of contempt,
4 more than our fill of scorn from the complacent
and contempt from the arrogant.[Complete Jewish Bible]

My two little boys look at me with big brown eyes filled with wonder, love and trust. They lift their eyes to me when they are unsure and need my reassurance. They lift their eyes to me when they have just discovered the most amazing thing and want to share that great discovery with me. They lift their eyes to me when they have been wronged, looking for their fierce protector to bring justice. Why? Because I am mommy and they trust me to always be there for them in all their needs.
No matter how old we get, we still desire someone bigger and more powerful than us to whom we can lift our eyes in times of joy and need. We lift our eyes to God: God who is our source of life. God who is our fierce protector. God who is our Father. We lift our eyes trusting that God will always be there to meet our needs.
Father, as we lift our eyes to you, hear the prayers of our hearts.Thank you that we can always trust you to hear our prayers and answer us. Amen.
Jennifer Beil
St. Timothy Lutheran Church,
Portland, Ore.
Master of Divinity , 2008
Psalm 123:1 To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
2 As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, until he has mercy upon us.
3 Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us, for we have had more than enough of contempt.
4 Our soul has had more than its fill of the scorn of those who are at ease, of the contempt of the proud.[New Revised Standard Version]
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment