Monday, September 28, 2015

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Monday, 28 September 2015 - "The resurrection and life everlasting"

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Monday, 28 September 2015 - "The resurrection and life everlasting"

Daily Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 4:
13 Now, brothers, we want you to know the truth about those who have died; otherwise, you might become sad the way other people 14 do who have nothing to hope for. For since we believe that Yeshua died and rose again, we also believe that in the same way God, through Yeshua, will take with him those who have died. 15 When we say this, we base it on the Lord’s own word: we who remain alive when the Lord comes will certainly not take precedence over those who have died. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a rousing cry, with a call from one of the ruling angels, and with God’s shofar; those who died united with the Messiah will be the first to rise; 17 then we who are left still alive will be caught up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we will always be with the Lord. 18 So encourage each other with these words.
Reflection Questions:
In one of his earliest letters, the apostle Paul reassured Christians who were concerned about other Christians who had died. As scholar William Barclay put it, “The idea of the Second Coming had brought another problem….They could not be sure that those who had already died would share the glory of that day which [they believed] was so soon to come.” But Paul told them that, death notwithstanding, all disciples will “always be with the Lord.”
  • Paul wanted the Thessalonians to grasp the vital truth that Jesus’ resurrection had forever defeated and neutralized death’s power to permanently end human life. Above all, there was no way death could any longer separate anyone from God and God’s love (cf. also Romans 8:38-39). How does trusting in that change your outlook on life, at whatever stage of life you presently find yourself?
  • Barclay also wrote, “The picture Paul draws of the day when Christ will come is poetry, an attempt to describe what is indescribable….It is not the details which are important. What is important is that in life and in death the Christian is in Christ and that is a union which nothing can break.” What factors make the day when Christ will come “indescribable”? How, despite that, can you live in the light and the hope of that day?
Today’s Prayer: 
Lord Jesus, your people believe that history will end, not in a whimper, but with the awesome “bang” of your return. Give me the courage and the faith to live in the light of that extravagant hope. Amen. 
Insights from Donna Karlen
dkarlengps
Donna Karlen serves in Communications at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection.
Pastor Adam asked the question in his message this past weekend, “Will we be able to recognize our loved ones when we get to Heaven?” As he pointed out, most of us past the age of 40 probably would prefer to get our 20-something bodies back at the Pearly Gates. But even though I have photos of my parents when they were in their 20s, those aren’t the precious faces I remember, since I wasn’t even born yet.
We have no idea what our heavenly bodies will be like of course, but I’m pretty sure I will have no trouble recognizing the people I love who will be there to greet me when I get to heaven  thanks to the grace of Jesus Christ!
One of my grammas will be painting heaven’s lovely landscapes, the other will be baking frosted sugar cookies. I’ll find my mom from her beautiful singing voice, my dad from his not beautiful singing voice but his funny laugh — plus he’ll probably be coaching a team of angels in whatever sport goes on in Heaven. I’ll know my brother by his over-the-top enthusiasm for all Heaven has to offer, my father-in-law will be surrounded by people because he never met anyone who wasn’t a friend. Uncle Wendell will try to comb my eyebrows and he’ll be singing Barbershop with Aunt Joy. I could go on and on to name every precious loved one … but this is how I imagine Heaven.
So I’m not worried about recognizing my loved ones, I just hope I get enough time with them all. Well duh – I guess I’ll have all of eternity, right?!
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224 United States
913.897.0120
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment