Monday, September 28, 2015

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church for Tuesday, 8 September 2015 - "Jesus 'began to feel despair and was anxious'”

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotion grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church for Tuesday, 8 September 2015 - "Jesus 'began to feel despair and was anxious'”

Daily Scripture: Luke 22:
39 On leaving, Yeshua went as usual to the Mount of Olives; and the talmidim followed him. 40 When he arrived, he said to them, “Pray that you won’t be put to the test.” 41 He went about a stone’s throw away from them, kneeled down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me; still, let not my will but yours be done.” 43 There appeared to him an angel from heaven giving him strength, 44 and in great anguish he prayed more intensely, so that his sweat became like drops of blood falling to the ground. 32 They went to a place called Gat Sh’manim; and Yeshua said to his talmidim, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took with him Kefa, Ya‘akov and Yochanan. Great distress and anguish came over him; 34 and he said to them, “My heart is so filled with sadness that I could die! Remain here and stay awake.” 35 Going on a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that if possible, the hour might pass from him: 36 “Abba!” (that is, “Dear Father!”) “All things are possible for you. Take this cup away from me! Still, not what I want, but what you want.”
Reflection Questions:
Some of the ancient versions we have of the Apostles’ Creed included the Latin phrase “descendit ad ínferos.” Some English translations render it as “descended into hell,” but it would be more accurate to phrase it as “descended into the realm of the dead.” The gospels show that process starting even before the soldiers nailed Jesus to the cross. In Gethsemane he faced “despair,” “anguish,” and being “anxious”—parts of our human experience he shared (cf. Hebrews 4:14-16).
  • When was the last time you were “deeply distressed and troubled”? Did others tell you (or did you tell yourself) that you should be “stronger,” that you shouldn’t feel what you felt? How does Jesus’ experience in the Garden show that it takes greater inner strength to honestly face and express your feelings in times of anguish than to deny them? When you face the unbearable, are you learning to trust and say, as Jesus did, “Not my will but yours be done”?
  • Jesus shrank, not just from the physical pain of the cross, but from the spiritual ordeal he faced. The apostle Paul wrote that Jesus carried the spiritual burden of sin (alienation from God) in our place (2 Corinthians 5:21). What challenges in your life strike a note of fear in your heart? Jesus used the most intimate relational Aramaic word abba in his prayer. How can you trust your heavenly abba even in the face of darkness, as Jesus did?
Today’s Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank you for promising to be with me always, even during the hard times. Thank you for modeling honesty about life’s struggles, as well as hope and courage, for me. Amen. 
Scripture quotations are taken from The Common English Bible ©2011. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Insights from Courtney Felzke
Courtney_Felzke
Courtney Felzke is Pastor of Silver Link. Resurrection’s Silver Link Ministry serves the frail and elderly with dementia by maintaining a connection through pastoral care and worship with older persons who become unable to fully engage in the life of the church.
In reading today’s Scripture and GPS, I’m reminded of several important things that Jesus teaches us. First of all, as we look to Scripture, we learn that Jesus shared with his Disciples how he was feeling: “I’m very sad” (Mark 14:34). This can be a really tough thing to do. It takes great courage to be able to share with another person how you are feeling; to be able to share that things might not be perfect and you might be struggling with. However, as I’ve gone through my own struggles with anxiety and then grief, I’ve learned that the thing which helped me the most through these times was being able to honestly share my feelings with others. Whether it was with my psychologist or my grief support group, as I was able to express my feelings, I was able to slowly find great tools to manage my anxiety and was able to find healing in my grief.
The other thing Jesus teaches us here is that we can be honest with God in our prayers. “Father, if it’s your will, take this cup of suffering away from me. However, not my will but your will must be done” (Luke 22:42). Jesus is honest with God in His prayers, and we can be too. God is greater than we can even fathom and God can handle all we have to say and all we are feeling. Jesus also reminds us that it’s important to trust that God hears our prayers, is at work in our lives and is with us through these difficult times.
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue

Leawood, Kansas 66224 United States
913.897.0120
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment