Sunday, July 31, 2016

"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Monday, August 01, 2016 with Scripture Genesis 15:1-6


"The God Pause Daily Devotional" from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Monday, August 01, 2016 with Scripture 
Genesis 15:1-6

Genesis 15:
1 Some time later the word of Adonai came to Avram in a vision: “Don’t be afraid, Avram. I am your protector; your reward will be very great.” 2 Avram replied, “Adonai, God, what good will your gifts be to me if I continue childless; and Eli‘ezer from Dammesek inherits my possessions? 3 You haven’t given me a child,” Avram continued, “so someone born in my house will be my heir.” 4 But the word of Adonai came to him: “This man will not be your heir. No, your heir will be a child from your own body.” 5 Then he brought him outside and said, “Look up at the sky, and count the stars — if you can count them! Your descendants will be that many!” 6 He believed in Adonai, and he credited it to him as righteousness.[Complete Jewish Bible
-------
A central theme of the Bible readings for this week can be summarized by the word "faith." During Bible study groups, prayer gatherings and confirmation classes, in an effort to spark reflection and discussion, I frequently asked, "What is faith?" I then expanded on the question by asking, "Is faith something I do? Is faith something I have? Is faith something God does? Is faith something that has me?" We could go further and ask, "How do you think Abram would answer such questions?"
The living and loving God makes great promises to Abram. There is to be a homeland, a family that will become a great nation, richly blessed. Those blessings are to be the source of the same for all people. Abram's initial response is to act; so his faith seems to be something he does. Yet, the years go by and no son is born to Abram and Sarai. There are only the children born to the servants in his household. Abram keeps wondering and asking when God is going to keep the promise. But God keeps telling Abram not to worry; the promise is sure and will be fulfilled. This time, "faith" is what God is doing and Abram is not resisting.
Living and Loving God, when we wonder and when we wander, show us that your promises are sure and we can fully and simply leave our lives in your hands. Amen.
Jim Thvedt, '59
Retired; Speaker/Producer of "The Hour of Hope"
Genesis 15:
1 After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, "Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great."
2 But Abram said, "O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?"
3 And Abram said, "You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir."
4 But the word of the Lord came to him, "This man shall not be your heir; no one but your very own issue shall be your heir."
5 He brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven and count the stars, if you are able to count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed the Lord; and the Lord reckoned it to him as righteousness.
[New Revised Standard Version]
---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment