Friday, July 29, 2016

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from Nashville, Tennessee, United States “STANDING STRONGER” for Friday, 29 July 2016 with Scripture: Psalm 71:19-21

issue coverThe Upper Room Daily Devotional from Nashville, Tennessee, United States “STANDING STRONGER” for Friday, 29 July 2016 with Scripture: Psalm 71:19 your righteousness too, God,
which reaches to the heights.
God, you have done great things;
who is there like you?
20 You have made me see much trouble and hardship,
but you will revive me again
and bring me up from the depths of the earth.
21 You will increase my honor;
turn and comfort me.
-------
The psalmist wrote, “ You, who have shown me many troubles and calamities, will revive me once more. From the depths of the earth, you will raise me up one more time.”[Psalm 71:20 (CEB)]
Glancing out the window that overlooks my garden, I was mesmerized by the steady stream of rain pouring down over the greenery and flowers. The thicker, sturdier leaves seemed to push up against the rain. But the delicate blossoms jerked this way and that, seeming to fight the raindrops that slapped against their petals. Their stems drooped as the rain persisted.
When the rain finally stopped, the sun broke through, and its warmth began evaporating the moisture. The delicate flowers seemed to shake off their heaviness and return to their strong upright position with even greater beauty.
All of us experience the storms of life. Sometimes we are strong in the face of such trials; other times we feel weak under the weight of life’s lessons. God always knows when we are unsteady and in need of divine strength. We can show this same kindness to others. Though we don’t always know the extent of others’ trials, we can always offer encouragement. We can offer our loving support and help others to stand a little stronger after the storm.
The Author: Rita J. Flower-Opdycke (Florida, USA) — See p. 21.
Thought for the Day: Whom is God calling me to encourage today?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us comfort others with the strength you give us. Amen.
Prayer focus: COMMUNITIES SUFFERING DROUGHT
---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment