Saturday, August 12, 2017

Shawnee Church of the Nazarene of Shawnee, Kansas, United States for Saturday, 12 August 2017 "Pastor Cara's Weekly Email"

Shawnee Church of the Nazarene of Shawnee, Kansas, United States for Saturday, 12 August 2017 "Pastor Cara's Weekly Email"

Greetings Shawnee Family!
I thoroughly enjoy writing these emails to you each week. I love to think of what is going on in the life of our church and in the life of my little family. I love to read through Scripture and hear what God has to teach us as a community together. I wanted to share something that has been working in me lately.
I have a propensity to try and do too much at one time. I try to do a lot out of my own strength. I have been reminded lately that I really can't rely on my own strength. I must rely on God's strength. It's a difficult reminder, but I need to hear it often.
I was reminded a few weeks ago when I texted my mom when she and dad were in Michigan. I texted her right before the service and mentioned that I was very tired and felt inadequate to preach that morning. She gave me advice that I did not expect... she said, "be honest, be vulnerable, it's okay."
What freeing advice. I took that advice to heart and I want to thank you all. You are such a unique bunch of folks. I can only imagine there are some ministers who would not feel comfortable being honest and vulnerable with her people, but I knew I could do so with you all. Thank you.
I also was reminded about something that day... as long as we consecrate ourselves to the Lord (example: Lord, I am super tired, but I want to be used for you today), then the Lord is able to use us.
I am reminded of what Jesus said to his disciples in Mark 12:41-44:
Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
I want to be used by God and some days I don't feel worthy, but it's not about how much we have to give, it is about our willingness to be used and to give our everything to be used by God.
May we be a people that give of ourselves as the widow gave. May we be willing to be used by God even in times when we feel inadequate.
Grace and Peace,
Pastor Cara
Contact:
5539 Quivira Road
Shawnee, Kansas 66216, United States
Shawnee Church of the Nazarene
5539 Quivira Road
Shawnee, Kansas 66216, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment