Saturday, August 12, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 13 August 2017 "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me," ELW 755


The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 13 August 2017 "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me," ELW 755
"Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me," ELW 755
1. 
Jesus, Savior, pilot me
over life's tempestuous sea;
unknown waves before me roll,
hiding rock and treach'rous shoal;
chart and compass come from thee.
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
2. As a mother stills her child,
thou canst hush the ocean wild;
boist'rous waves obey thy will
when thou say'st to them: "Be still."
Wondrous sov'reign of the sea,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
3. When at last I near the shore,
and the fearful breakers roar
twixt me and the peaceful rest,
then, while leaning on thy breast,
may I hear thee say to me:
"Fear not, I will pilot thee."
-------
She was terrified. This was many years ago when surgery was very uncommon. It was an emergency and a long train ride all the way to the original Abbott Hospital in Minneapolis, Minn. She confessed to her close friend, also a pastor's wife, "I'm ashamed to admit even though I'm a pastors wife and have a strong faith, before my surgery I suddenly became so afraid." The surgeon came into her room whistling the tune, "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me." Hearing that old familiar tune, a calm peace came over her. Our Lord and master was with her. When they took her down the hall for surgery, she whistled all the way, "Jesus, Savior, pilot me over life's tempestuous sea; unknown waves before me roll, hiding rock and treach'rous shoal; chart and compass come from thee. Jesus, Savior, pilot me."
Child of God, fear not. The Savior is in your boat. No matter how strong the storm or high the waves, Jesus, the Lord and master, is your pilot. Go ahead, whistle!
Lord Jesus, sometimes the winds and waves are overwhelming, even for me. Take hold of me, lead and guide me, give me faith and keep me safe. I know this day I am in your hands. Amen.
David P. Grant, '80
Interim Pastor, East Union Lutheran Church, Carver, Minn.
-------
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: 651-641-3456
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment