Sunday, April 22, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional for Sunday, 22 April 2018 The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "Guide Me Ever, Great Redeemer," ELW 618

The God Pause Daily Devotional for Sunday, 22 April 2018 The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "Guide Me Ever, Great Redeemer," ELW 618
1. 
Guide me ever, great Redeemer,
pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but you are mighty;
hold me with your pow'rful hand.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
feed me now and evermore,
feed me now and evermore.
2. Open now the crystal fountain
where the healing waters flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through.
Strong deliv'rer, strong deliv'rer,
shield me with your mighty arm,
shield me with your mighty arm.
3. When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
death of death and hell's destruction,
land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs and praises, songs and praises,
I will raise forevermore,
I will raise forevermore.
***
Fear plays a strong role in our lives and in our world. However, this experience is nothing new. The scriptures are full of the stories of God's people choosing to act out of fear instead of acting out of trust in God's promises. As the words of this hymn remind us, our faith often calls us to go into places that are unfamiliar and unknown, trusting that the Holy Spirit will guide us--even through places that cause us to feel uncomfortable and afraid. Even though they can be harrowing, journeys into new territory, whether literal or metaphorical, also give us opportunities to grow in our relationship with God. We sing, asking for our fears to be put aside, so that songs of praise might give us the strength to take risks and boldly follow where God is leading us, trusting that we will land safely in the promises of God's love.
Guiding God, we pray for ourselves and all those who struggle with feelings of loneliness and fear. Help us to grow beyond our fears so that we might live lives of service, rooted in your saving promises. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Sarah Sumner-Eisenbraun, '07
Pastor, St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, San Diego, Calif.
The Luther Seminary

No comments:

Post a Comment