Monday, April 9, 2018

The God Pause daily of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 10 April 2018 - Psalm 4.


The God Pause daily of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 10 April 2018 - Psalm 4.
Psalm 4:1 (0) For the leader. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David:
2 (1) O God, my vindicator!
Answer me when I call!
When I was distressed, you set me free;
now have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
3 (2) Men of rank, how long will you shame my honor,
love what is vain, chase after lies? (Selah)
4 (3) Understand that Adonai sets apart
the godly person for himself;
Adonai will hear when I call to him.
5 (4) You can be angry, but do not sin!
Think about this as you lie in bed,
and calm down. (Selah)
6 (5) Offer sacrifices rightly,
and put your trust in Adonai.
7 (6) Many ask, “Who can show us some good?”
Adonai, lift the light of your face over us!
8 (7) You have filled my heart with more joy
than all their grain and new wine.
9 (8) I will lie down and sleep in peace;
for, Adonai, you alone make me live securely.(Complete Jewish Bible).
***
Once again, God is doing wondrous things, even if they aren't always as dramatic as making a man walk. The psalmist sings to God the "defender of my cause," the one who "set me free when I was in distress." The psalmist has known God's gracious care, and therefore trusts that care to continue.
This is why the psalmist can pray, "Answer when I call, O God....have mercy on me and hear my prayer." When we know God has always been faithful, we can trust that God will continue to keep the promises of love and care. Sometimes, the wondrous things God does are as simple as gladdening our hearts with abundant provisions for life, and helping us to have a peaceful night's rest. These are gracious daily gifts we can celebrate right along with the psalmist.
Oh Lord, you never fail to hear us when we call. Listen to the cries of your children in any distress and set them free. Shine on us all with your gladness and peace, that we may rest securely in you by day and by night, through Jesus Christ, our merciful Savior. Amen.
Amanda Jertson Talley, '12
Pastor, Trinity Lutheran Churches, Hartington and Crofton, Neb.
Psalm 4:
1 Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.
2 How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame? How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies? (Selah)
3 But know that the Lord has set apart the faithful for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him.
4 When you are disturbed, do not sin; ponder it on your beds, and be silent. (Selah)
5 Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord.
6 There are many who say, "O that we might see some good! Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!"
7 You have put gladness in my heart more than when their grain and wine abound.
8 I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety. 
(New Revised Standard Version).
***
THE LUTHER SEMINARY
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States

***

No comments:

Post a Comment