Sunday, November 18, 2018

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Foundry Publishing of The Global Church of the Nazarene "Do I Deserve This?" by Stephanie Malcolm for Sunday, 18 November 2018 RG111818 Psalm 108:1-13

Reflecting God - Embrace Holy Living from The Foundry Publishing of The Global Church of the Nazarene "Do I Deserve This?" by Stephanie Malcolm for Sunday, 18 November 2018 RG111818 Psalm 108:1-13
Psalm 108:
1 (0) A song. A psalm of David:
2 (1) My heart is steadfast, God.
I will sing and make music with my glory.
3 (2) Awake, lute and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
4 (3) I will thank you, Adonai, among the peoples;
I will make music to you among the nations.
5 (4) For your grace is great, above heaven,
and your truth, all the way to the skies.
6 (5) Be exalted, God, above heaven!
May your glory be over all the earth,
7 (6) in order that those you love can be rescued;
so save with your right hand, and answer me!
8 (7) God in his holiness spoke,
and I took joy [in his promise]:
“I will divide Sh’khem
and determine the shares in the Sukkot Valley.
9 (8) Gil‘ad is mine and M’nasheh mine,
Efrayim my helmet, Y’hudah my scepter.
10 (9) Mo’av is my washpot; on Edom I throw my shoe;
Over P’leshet I shout in triumph.”
11 (10) Who will bring me into the fortified city?
Who will lead me to Edom?
12 (11) God, have you rejected us?
You don’t go out with our armies, God.
13 (12) Help us against our enemy,
for human help is worthless.
(Complete Jewish Bible).
My daughter has recently become concerned about getting what she deserves for the work that she does. One day her husband gave her a gift and she asked, “do I deserve this?”. She had a hard time with the idea of receiving a gift that she did not earn. She had forgotten all the previous gifts that had been given and became obsessed with earning.
Israel had forgotten that God had given them victory. The psalmist is calling them to remember that it is only through God that victories are won. They were trying to do everything in their own power and not God’s. They had forgotten who gave them everything.
There is nothing you can do to earn God’s grace. God freely gives to us his salvation and victory. Often, we are like Stephanie’s daughter and the Israelites. We become obsessed with earning and forget the gift giver. We become concerned with our own worth and forget the one who deems us worthy. It is only through the power of God that we can go forth to serve the world. We will only be victorious when we follow the one who gives victory.
Hymn for Today: "And Can It Be?" by Charles Wesley
1.
And can it be that I should gain
An int'rest in the Savior's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me?
Refrain:
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
2. 'Tis mystery all! Th'Immortal dies!
Who can explore His strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine!
'Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel minds inquire no more. Refrain: Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
3. He left His Father's throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace;
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race;
'Tis mercy all, immense and free;
For, O my God, it found out me.
Refrain: Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
4. Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth and followed Thee. Refrain: Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
5. No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th'eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Refrain: Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!
Amen.
We have all received from his fullness,
yes, grace upon grace.
(John 1:16).
Please pray:
For the Holy Spirit to empower believers in Mesoamerica to give generously of time, talent, and treasure.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment