Friday, November 16, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Friday, 16 November 2018 - Mark 13:1-8

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Friday, 16 November 2018 - Mark 13:1-8
Mark 13:
1 As Yeshua came out of the Temple, one of the talmidim said to him, “Look, Rabbi! What huge stones! What magnificent buildings!” 2 “You see all these great buildings?” Yeshua said to him, “They will be totally destroyed — not a single stone will be left standing!”
3 As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the Temple, Kefa, Ya‘akov, Yochanan and Andrew asked him privately, 4 “Tell us, when will these things happen? And what sign will show when all these things are about to be accomplished?”
5 Yeshua began speaking to them: “Watch out! Don’t let anyone fool you! 6 Many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and they will fool many people. 7 When you hear the noise of wars nearby and the news of wars far off, don’t become frightened. Such things must happen, but the end is yet to come. 8 For peoples will fight each other, and nations will fight each other, there will be earthquakes in various places, there will be famines; this is but the beginning of the ‘birth pains.’
(Complete Jewish Bible).
There are times when it feels like I am standing in the middle of a tornado and I have no idea what is really going on in my life. When I feel out of control and my life is running me ragged, I have to stop and question my relationship with God. I have to ask myself, "When was the last time I have actually stopped and talked with God?" When I do this, I usually come to the realization that my life is out of control because I have been the center of my life and God has been pushed aside.
We human beings build structures to make ourselves feel secure, but real security only comes when we take the time to nourish our relationship with God. Reading scripture and taking time for daily devotions are precious means of giving thanks for all we have, but we must also converse with the Lord to nurture our relationship with God.
Lord, nothing we build as human beings is ever permanent. Lord, help us to remember that you have always been with us and invite us daily to talk with you and nurture the relationship you crave to have with us, for we are all your children. Amen.
Nicole M. Garcia, '18
Director of Congregational Care, Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, Boulder, Colo.
Mark 13:
1 As he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!"
2 Then Jesus asked him, "Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down."
3 When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately,
4 "Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?"
5 Then Jesus began to say to them, "Beware that no one leads you astray.
6 Many will come in my name and say, "I am he!' and they will lead many astray.
7 When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come.
8 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. This is but the beginning of the birth pangs.
(New Revised Standard Version).
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment