Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotion from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Thursday, 22 November 2018 - John 18:33-37

The God Pause Daily Devotion from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Thursday, 22 November 2018 - John 18:33-37
John 18:
33 So Pilate went back into the headquarters, called Yeshua and said to him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” 34 Yeshua answered, “Are you asking this on your own, or have other people told you about me?” 35 Pilate replied, “Am I a Jew? Your own nation and head cohanim have handed you over to me; what have you done?” 36 Yeshua answered, “My kingship does not derive its authority from this world’s order of things. If it did, my men would have fought to keep me from being arrested by the Judeans. But my kingship does not come from here.” 37 “So then,” Pilate said to him, “You are a king, after all.” Yeshua answered, “You say I am a king. The reason I have been born, the reason I have come into the world, is to bear witness to the truth. Every one who belongs to the truth listens to me.” (Complete Jewish Bible).
POWER, not grasped.
In the USA today we are pausing to give thanks in our state-religion sort of way. Many of us will go deeper into gratitude for a thousand things--to paraphrase Gerhard Frost: To have the gift and know the Giver is Grace indeed.
As we near Christ the King Sunday, the last Sunday of the church year, the gospel reading leads us to reflect more deeply on the way this world's concepts of Power are stood on their head. Pilate will never understand. The election is about to go to Barabbas; the chaotic waters are rising up once again. The verdict will be "Loser!" And the crowds will soon go home.
Until--until they are surprised by Love. It takes the gift of Spirit-led eyes to see the Cross as the Throne of the King. We have much to stir our Gratitude. This is Truth.
Today's prayer is one I have taught our young grandchildren—it is a prayer of thanksgiving, simply focused around 2 L's and 3 F's: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, For Life and Love, For Family, Friends and Food, We ask your blessing, and We say thank you. Amen.
Ronald Jensen, '77
Retired, Austin, Minn.
John 18:
33 Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?"
34 Jesus answered, "Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?"
35 Pilate replied, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?"
36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here."
37 Pilate asked him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."
(New Revised Standard Version).
THE LUTHER SEMINARY ®
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment