Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Upper Room Daily Devotional Wednesday, 21 November 2018 "Getting out of the Boat" by Adam Benson (North Carolina)


The Upper Room Daily Devotional
Wednesday, 21 November 2018 "Getting out of the Boat" by Adam Benson (North Carolina)
(Image: Pixabay)
[Jesus] said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. (Matthew 14:29 (NRSV))
One summer, I stayed with a family who lived by a lake while I was doing a college internship. When I told them I didn’t know how to water ski, they were determined to teach me. This wasn’t easy for me, not only because I did not have great balance but also because I was afraid of drowning. Frankly, I was scared even to get out of the boat. Once I decided to climb out, I finally got up on the skis after a few tries (even though I could only keep my balance for a few seconds).
In today’s reading, Jesus had gone off by himself to pray. The disciples were in a boat and had been pushed out to sea by the wind and the waves. Jesus began to walk toward them on the water, and at first the disciples thought he was a ghost. Peter said, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
My youth pastor used to tell us, “You’ve got to get out of your comfort zone.” That’s often what discipleship is like for us — doing things that are out of our comfort zones. We may be afraid and unsure, but still God says, “Come.” As disciples, Jesus calls all of us out of the boat — out of the places we feel safest or most comfortable. We may falter, but Jesus is always there to catch us.
TODAY'S PRAYER: Dear Lord, grant us opportunities to follow you and the courage to step out of our comfort zones. Amen.
TODAY'S READING: Matthew 14:22-33
Matthew 14:22 Right then, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead to the other side of the lake while he dismissed the crowds.23 When he sent them away, he went up onto a mountain by himself to pray. Evening came and he was alone. 24 Meanwhile, the boat, fighting a strong headwind, was being battered by the waves and was already far away from land. 25 Very early in the morning he came to his disciples, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified and said, “It’s a ghost!” They were so frightened they screamed. 27 Just then Jesus spoke to them, “Be encouraged! It’s me. Don’t be afraid.” 28 Peter replied, “Lord, if it’s you, order me to come to you on the water.”29 And Jesus said, “Come.” Then Peter got out of the boat and was walking on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when Peter saw the strong wind, he became frightened. As he began to sink, he shouted, “Lord, rescue me!” 31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him, saying, “You man of weak faith! Why did you begin to have doubts?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind settled down. 33 Then those in the boat worshipped Jesus and said, “You must be God’s Son!”(Common English Bible).
Matthew 14:22 Immediately he had the talmidim get in the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he sent the crowds away. 23 After he had sent the crowds away, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night came on, and he was there alone. 24 But by this time, the boat was several miles from shore, battling a rough sea and a headwind. 25 Around four o’clock in the morning, he came toward them, walking on the lake! 26 When the talmidim saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said and screamed with fear. 27 But at once Yeshua spoke to them. “Courage,” he said, “it is I. Stop being afraid.” 28 Then Kefa called to him, “Lord, if it is really you, tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come!” he said. So Kefa got out of the boat and walked on the water toward Yeshua. 30 But when he saw the wind, he became afraid; and as he began to sink, he yelled, “Lord! Save me!” 31 Yeshua immediately stretched out his hand, took hold of him, and said to him, “Such little trust! Why did you doubt?” 32 As they went up into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 The men in the boat fell down before him and exclaimed, “You really are God’s son!” (Complete Jewish Bible).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Before I can follow Jesus, I have to step out of the boat.
PRAYER FOCUS: Someone called to a new ministry
Link2Life - November 21
NOVEMBER 21, 2018 BY ADAM BENSON (NORTH CAROLINA)
RELATED DEVOTIONALS: GETTING OUT OF THE BOAT
Adam water skiing
The Upper Room
1908 Grand Avenue
Nashville, Tennessee 37212, United States
© Copyright 2018 The Upper Room
***

No comments:

Post a Comment