Sunday, November 25, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, November 25, 2018 Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life," ELW 816

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for
Sunday, November 25, 2018 Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life," ELW 816

1.
Come, my way, my truth, my life:
such a way as gives us breath;
such a truth as ends all strife;
such a life as killeth death.
2. Come, my light, my feast, my strength:
such a light as shows a feast;
such a feast as mends in length;
such a strength as makes his guest.
3. Come, my joy, my love, my heart:
such a joy as none can move;
such a love as none can part;
such a heart as joys in love.
***
POWER, in love.
Today we find a poem from the 1600s that unexpectedly exists and thrives in a 21st-century worship book! Even more amazing, every word in its three verses has only one syllable--you'd think it wouldn't be singable. Except one word--one word has two syllables: "killeth." And what is killed? Death. "Such a life as killeth death" (verse 1).
And so it is when God gets God's way; so it is in the will of God, in the reign of God, in the Kingdom of Christ. The "is," the "was," and the "is to come," this One surrounds your life, claims your life, inspires your life from A to Z.
We bow to Christ; we serve the living Christ; we yearn and we cry, "Come!" This is Truth.
Father, Son and Holy Spirit, "Come, my way, my truth, my life ... Come, my light, my feast, my strength ... Come, my joy, my love, my heart." Amen.
Ronald Jensen, '77
Retired, Austin, Minn.
THE LUTHER SEMINARY ®
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment