Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Reflecting God ~ Embrace Holy Living ~ Wednesday, 30 October 2013 ~ “Wise Stewards” Luke 14


Reflecting God ~ Embrace Holy Living ~ Wednesday, 30 October 2013 ~ “Wise Stewards”
Luke 14:25 Now great multitudes were going with him. He turned and said to them, 26  “If anyone comes to me, and doesn’t disregard† his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he can’t be my disciple. 27  Whoever doesn’t bear his own cross, and come after me, can’t be my disciple. 28  For which of you, desiring to build a tower, doesn’t first sit down and count the cost, to see if he has enough to complete it? 29  Or perhaps, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, everyone who sees begins to mock him, 30  saying, ‘This man began to build, and wasn’t able to finish.’ 31  Or what king, as he goes to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32  Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an envoy, and asks for conditions of peace. 33  So therefore whoever of you who doesn’t renounce all that he has, he can’t be my disciple. 34  Salt is good, but if the salt becomes flat and tasteless, with what do you season it? 35  It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”(Messianic WEB)
“Wise Stewards” by Kenneth E. Crow
I was surprised when an expert in the field told us that most of the time good, sincere people doing what they are convinced will help solve a particular social problem have made the problem worse. The data were convincing. The follow-up studies on multiple intervention programs showed an increase rather than the expected reduction in the problem. Large amounts of money, time, skill, and energy had been invested to solve, or at least improve things, but looking back it was clear that in a majority of the interventions the investments were wasted.
Jesus challenged His followers to be wise stewards of the resources God has given us. Before we get involved in a project we need to study well and carefully evaluate the likelihood that if we invest the resources over which we are stewards, we will be able to finish the task and improve the situation. Over the years I have made and observed some investments that have looked good short-term but eventually weakened the church’s ministry. On the other hand, I am thankful that I have seen many good things accomplished when we prayerfully assessed the situation and invested God’s resources wisely.
Hymn for Today:
“Be Though My Vision” by Traditional Irish Hymn; translated by Mary Byrne
(Due to copyrights, words as found at #256 of The Methodist Hymnal, 1964)
1. Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart; 
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art; 
Thou my best thought, by day or by night, 
Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light. 
2. Be thou my Wisdom, and thou my true Word; 
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord; 
Thou my great Father, and I thy true son, 
Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one. 
3. Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise; 
Thou mine inheritance, now and always; 
Thou and thou only, first in my heart, 
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art. 
4. High King of heaven, my victory won, 
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun! 
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall, 
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all. 
Thought for Today:
“You cannot invest in God’s Kingdom and lose(Rob Prince).
Prayer Needs:
Many people in Saint Vincent will come to know Jesus the Christ (Yeshua the Messiah) and receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
~~~~~~~
Nazarene Publishing House
2923 Troost Avenue 
Kansas City , MO 64109-1593
Nazarene Publishing House
PO Box 843336 
Kansas City , MO 64184-3336
~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment