Thursday, October 31, 2013

Upper Room Daily Devotions ~ Thursday, 31 October 2013 ~ “Cranky and Unappreciative?” ~ READ: John 21


Upper Room Daily Devotions ~ Thursday, 31 October 2013 ~ “Cranky and Unappreciative?” ~ READ: John 21:15 So when they had eaten their breakfast, Yeshua said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me more than these?”
He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I have affection for you.”
He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me?”
He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I have affection for you.”
He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you have affection for me?”
Peter was grieved because he asked him the third time, “Do you have affection for me?” He said to him, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I have affection for you.”
Yeshua said to him, “Feed my sheep.(Messianic WEB)
Jesus said to [Peter], “Feed my lambs.”~-John 21:15 (NRSV)
When I began serving at a homeless shelter, I assumed the guests would be appreciative. But several complained about the menu, and others snatched their plates in silence. Most met my smile with sideways glances that spoke of wariness and distrust. I thought angrily, How dare they treat me this way! They don’t even know me. Then I heard God speaking through my frustration: “Jill, do you know them?” The next week I began to actually sit and eat with the guests. I asked, “How are you?” and took the time to listen — not only to what was said but also to what was not said. I heard the sadness in the tone of voice, observed the forced smile, and was touched by the eyes glassy with tears. I learned names and heard stories. Those I once saw only as grouchy and ungrateful became sisters and brothers — each with their own unique pains of the past, fears of the present, and hopes for the future. In our reading for today, Jesus gave Peter some very specific directions about showing his love for Christ by serving others: “Feed my lambs . . . Tend my sheep.” Even those who at first seem cranky and unappreciative, we are also called to feed and to tend.~~The Author ~ Jill Allen Maisch (Maryland, USA)
Thought for the Day: Serving in Christ’s name requires building relationships.
Prayer: Dear God, help us discover how we might tend to the physical and spiritual needs of the people around us. Amen.
Prayer Focus: Those who serve the homeless
~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment