Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Lutheraan Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "God Pause daily Devotion" for Saturday, 6 June 2015 "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" ELW 697

The Lutheraan Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "God Pause daily Devotion" for Saturday, 6 June 2015 "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" ELW 697

Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
1. I am weak but thou art strong:
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
as I walk, let me walk close to thee.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
2. Through this world of toil and snares,
if I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but thee, dear Lord, none but thee.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
3. When my feeble life is o'er,
time for me will be no more;
guide me gently, safely o'er
to thy kingdom shore, to thy shore.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
The words of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" accentuate the themes of this week's scriptures. The lyrics remind us of God walking in the Garden while searching for and calling out to the first humans, of temptation's snare, of the toil in exile from the Garden and of God's daily reconciliation endeavors. We hear the psalmist's voice callingfrom despair's depths and seeking God's forgiveness to relieve his burden of regrets. We recall Paul rejoicing in his weakness in which God's miraculous strength becomes clear. We hear Paul's trust that, after his frail body passes, he will spend eternity in heaven.
In this hymn, perhaps from 19th century African American churches and recorded by vocalists from many cultures, we hear our plaintive cry, "Lord, do not forsake us! Walk with us!" Whether we are acting alone or serving with our neighbors through relationships, God hears our cries and daily reassures us, "I am right here walking closely with you."
Ever-present God, we are awed that you are with us wherever we wander, however we stray and with whomever we journey. We are sorry we fail to recognize your presence walking right beside us. Please continue to call us to reconcile our relationships with you and our neighbors. Amen.
Mary Simonson Clark
Redeemer Partner Engagement, Minneapolis, Minn.
Adjunct Instructor, Social Work, Augsburg College, Minneapolis, Minn.
Master of Arts in Theology/Master of Social Work , 2007
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment