Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Resurrection GPS Guide from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States "Prayer Tip: Learning How to Love: Dating and Respect" for Sunday, 23 April 2017 - GPS Guide GPS Insights




The Resurrection GPS Guide from The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States "Prayer Tip: Learning How to Love: Dating and Respect" for Sunday, 23 April 2017 - GPS Guide GPS Insights
Daily Scripture
Matthew 7:
12 “Always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that sums up the teaching of the Torah and the Prophets.

Romans 12:2 In other words, do not let yourselves be conformed to the standards of the ‘olam hazeh. Instead, keep letting yourselves be transformed by the renewing of your minds; so that you will know what God wants and will agree that what he wants is good, satisfying and able to succeed. 9 Don’t let love be a mere outward show. Recoil from what is evil, and cling to what is good. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 What God wants is that you be holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality, 4 that each of you know how to manage his sexual impulses in a holy and honorable manner, 5 without giving in to lustful desires, like the pagans who don’t know God. 6 No one should wrong his brother in this matter or take advantage of him, because the Lord punishes all who do such things — as we have explained to you before at length.
-------
Prayer Tip
I was boy-crazy in elementary and middle school. I had so many innocent crushes. My little sister capitalized on my weakness one time by playing a mean prank on me. She was over at a friend’s house and she drew up a love letter and signed it with the name of my neighborhood heartthrob. It said something like: “I have had a crush on you for all of these years I am so glad I can finally tell you. Let’s be boyfriend and girlfriend.”
When the door rang at my house that afternoon, I knew nothing of my sister’s hi-jinx. I was elated. All my hopes and dreams were being realized - and in the 6th grade. I would be getting married soon!
Later that day, I found out what she had been up to. I was rather mad at her and was heartbroken. The truth was that my crush and I had rarely ever talked! I wasn’t honest with myself and I never considered inviting God into my early relationship woes.
While this is a silly example, it highlights a truth for me: When it comes to our understandings of love, sex, marriage, singleness and sexuality, it can be hard to be honest with ourselves, others and God. Sometimes we revert to the logic of our 6th grade selves.
When was the last time you were honest with God in prayer about how things are going in your life?
What’s working? What’s not?
What are you thankful for?
What is an area of growth? What are you longing for in these areas?
Where are you walking on the right path? Where have you gone astray?
What is your reality now?
It is difficult to talk about the Birds and Bees with our friends and family. For many of us, it is super awkward to invite God into these areas in our lives. But when we do, I think we are taking a big step towards healing and wholeness.[Rev. Katherine Ebling-Frazier, Pastor of Prayer]
Sunday, April 23, 2017

"The Birds and the Bees 'Learning How to Love: Dating and Respect'”
Scripture: 
Matthew 7:12 “Always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that sums up the teaching of the Torah and the Prophets.
Romans 12:2 In other words, do not let yourselves be conformed to the standards of the ‘olam hazeh. Instead, keep letting yourselves be transformed by the renewing of your minds; so that you will know what God wants and will agree that what he wants is good, satisfying and able to succeed. 9 Don’t let love be a mere outward show. Recoil from what is evil, and cling to what is good. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 What God wants is that you be holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality, 4 that each of you know how to manage his sexual impulses in a holy and honorable manner, 5 without giving in to lustful desires, like the pagans who don’t know God. 6 No one should wrong his brother in this matter or take advantage of him, because the Lord punishes all who do such things — as we have explained to you before at length.
------- 
"Keeping our paths pure" 

Monday, 24 April 2017
Psalm 119:
ב (Bet)

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
don’t let me stray from your mitzvot.
11 I treasure your word in my heart,
so that I won’t sin against you.

Psalm 119 may be best known to casual Bible readers as “the longest chapter in the Bible” (it is 176 verses long). But the psalm is not a novelty—it’s a record of a profound spiritual struggle, which speaks to people of all ages. Pastor Donald Williams wrote, “The psalmist is also engaged in a battle with himself. Thus he has shame (v. 6), is in danger of wandering (v. 10), and is vulnerable to sin (v. 11). His soul clings to the dust (v. 25); he has heaviness (v. 28), is vulnerable to lying (v. 29) and covetousness (v. 36), and has gone astray (vv. 67, 176). His soul faints (v. 81), he cries for help (v. 147), and he needs deliverance.” *
The psalmist showed what a serious undertaking it was to keep his paths pure, writing “I have sought you with all my heart.” Do you have a sense of recognition of any of the issues the psalmist wrote about, as listed in the summary above? When have you found that seeking God and God’s ways with all your heart made a positive difference in your life, instead of robbing you of joy or love?
“I keep your word close, in my heart,” the psalmist wrote. “The verb…means ‘store up, treasure, hide away’; here it may mean to memorize the Law.” ** What does it take to move the word from the printed page (or the screen) into your heart? Try the psalmist’s approach: choose a short Bible passage (e.g. John 3:16, Psalm 23, maybe Psalm 119:11 from today’s reading) and commit it to memory this week.
Prayer: Dear God, I want to whole-heartedly set my feet on the path of life, the path on which I live out your principles. I know I can’t do that in my own strength, and I ask you to empower me to live a pure life. Amen.
* Donald Williams, The Preacher’s Commentary Series, Volume 14: Psalms 73–150. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1989, p. 343.

** Robert G. Bratcher and William D. Reyburn, A Handbook on the Book of Psalms. New York: United Bible Societies, 1991, p. 1000.

Angie Colina McNeil
Angie serves as a Pastoral Intern in Congregational Care. Her days consist of visiting hospitalized individuals, caring for Silver Link Ministry members and assisting during the 11 am worship service. She is currently attending seminary at Saint Paul School of Theology, but her main roles are wife to an amazingly supportive husband, Toph, and mom to the sweetest little girl on the planet!
In my late teens and early twenties, I believed that Christianity was judgmental and restrictive. I felt that it was not relevant to what it means to be a young adult. For me, a life in Christ meant that I would have to relinquish a fun life. When I pierced my eyebrow at nineteen years old, I walked boldly into my grandparents' church to see what kind of reaction I would receive. It was mixed, but my focus landed on those who wanted to judge. On top of that I took a logic class in college, and I decided logically that God did not exist. From that point I decided to officially leave the church to live the life I wanted, according to my rules.
At first life was great! It was fun and exciting! However, fun, without boundaries or accountability to another, can become more restrictive than the negative glances I would experience at my grandparents' church. Over the course of several years, I became directionless. When my job or my relationships ended, I would change course immediately to try to figure out what would really make me happy. Nothing really ever did.
During the summer of 2007, I visited Cairo, Egypt. I was once again at a divergent road, trying to figure out which way I was going to direct my life. I had always told myself, if God wants me to believe, then God will make God’s self known to me. And boy, did God ever do exactly that! In July of that summer, a group of girls that I had met in Egypt and I decided to take camel rides out by the pyramids to watch the sun set. As the sun dipped behind the horizon, the minarets of Cairo came to life with the Muslim call to prayer. As I looked back over the city, I was overcome by the presence of God. It was a palpable and radiating sensation. In that moment I looked to the west, and I knew. While I had been trying to figure out how to make something big of my life, I knew in an instant that I was already a part of something bigger than myself. I knew in that moment that I was a part of God’s story, and that my life actually had a purpose.  
As I returned to Kansas City later that summer, I began attending church again with my grandparents, and within a year I was reading Scriptures during Sunday morning services. Within a few years of getting to know God, my life became much more free than it had been. As a broken human, I do stray from God’s commandments often, but just as the psalmist proclaimed in this passage, I know that by guarding God’s words close to my heart, I have a greater ability to live into the abundance of life that has been offered to me (and you too!) through Jesus Christ. We often get it wrong, but God’s law does not restrict--it frees.



-------
"Jesus taught keys to healthy relating"
Tuesday, 25 April 2017 
Matthew 5:27 “You have heard that our fathers were told, ‘Do not commit adultery.’[Matthew 5:27 Exodus 20:13(14); Deuteronomy 5:17(18)] 28 But I tell you that a man who even looks at a woman with the purpose of lusting after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye makes you sin, gouge it out and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom. 30 And if your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away! Better that you should lose one part of you than have your whole body thrown into Gei-Hinnom.
33 “Again, you have heard that our fathers were told, ‘Do not break your oath,’ and ‘Keep your vows to Adonai.’[Matthew 5:33 Leviticus 19:12; Numbers 30:3(2); Deuteronomy 23:22(21)] 34 But I tell you not to swear at all — not ‘by heaven,’ because it is God’s throne; 35 not ‘by the earth,’ because it is his footstool;[Matthew 5:35 Isaiah 66:1] and not ‘by Yerushalayim,’ because it is the city of the Great King.[Matthew 5:35 Psalm 48:3(2)] 36 And don’t swear by your head, because you can’t make a single hair white or black. 37 Just let your ‘Yes’ be a simple ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ a simple ‘No’; anything more than this has its origin in evil.

Wouldn’t it be great to learn about stronger relationships directly from Jesus? His Sermon on the Mount (cf. Matthew 5-7) offered much wisdom. Using “prophetic hyperbole,” Jesus taught the often ignored truth that faithless hearts (and not just bodies) deeply damage relationships. He stressed the value of honesty in what lies behind our words as well as in the words themselves. Our integrity shouldn’t come and go (“I swear I mean it this time”)—it should be a given.
Adultery = sex with someone other than your spouse, right? Jesus expanded the idea of betrayal (as he did several other areas of life). He said our heart (our emotions and thoughts) can be faithless to our partner’s needs, even without an overt act. His hyperbolic images showed, not the need to mangle ourselves, but the challenge of doing what we need to keep our thoughts from wandering where they shouldn’t go. How might a deeper commitment to be faithful in your relationships change you at the heart level?
Honesty begins with being honest with yourself and God. (Often a group, counselor or accountability partner helps us with this.) How well do you understand the inner or outer forces that most often tempt you to “shade” your words or promises to the people you care about? How are you doing at being honest with yourself and God?
Prayer: Lord God, you created me. You know more about how my mind works than I know myself. Help me grow to be a deeply faithful, trustworthy person. Amen.

Brandon Gregory
Brandon Gregory is a volunteer for the worship and missions teams at Church of the Resurrection. He helps lead worship at Vibe, West and Downtown services, and is involved with the Malawi missions team at home.
The Greek writer Aesop had a fable about greed and longing for something more than what you have. There was a dog carrying home a scrap of meat that the butcher had thrown to him. On his way home, he crossed over a footbridge and spied his own reflection in the water. As he gazed at his reflection, he grew to believe that the dog in the water had a bigger piece of meat than he did. Eventually, he set his mind on this other dog’s piece of meat. He dropped his own scrap and lunged at the other dog. He soon found himself swimming frantically to get to shore, now without any scrap of meat and soaking wet to boot.
The fable is meant to be humorous, but to shine a light on our own human trappings, including lust. Jesus’ words in Matthew 5 tell us that adultery begins in the heart when we look lustfully at someone else. Much like the dog in the fable, we look at something we want and we see ourselves in the reflection. We can look at a friend, or a coworker, or even a complete stranger and see ourselves living out a life or maybe just a moment with them. And much like the dog in the fable, the object of our desire we see reflected back at us can look much more tantalizing than what we’re currently holding.
What we’re not seeing in this fable is what happened before the dog got the scrap of meat. He probably waited patiently outside of the butcher’s shop, the expectation and ideal building in his mind of what it would be like to get that scrap. He may have spent weeks or even longer dreaming about his scrap. And then when he finally got it, the initial joy he had degraded quickly as reality set in. Maybe the scrap wasn’t as tasty as he imagined, or it wasn’t able to satisfy his hunger completely. But whatever the reason, the scrap didn’t live up to his expectation, despite it being everything he dreamed of before receiving it.
And it was that gap between expectation and reality that drew the dog’s gaze to the shimmering reflection in the water. Just as he had done outside the butcher’s shop, he saw in the reflected image everything he imagined about the scrap of meat, not realizing that the reflected image was remarkably like what he currently held. The reflected image he saw would ultimately prove to be just as disappointing to him if it were real, but he couldn’t see the flaws through the shine of the reflection.
In our own lives, the reflected images we imagine of lives or moments with others are usually just as prone to flaws as anything we’re experiencing now. What we have now has limits set by reality while the reflection is limited only by our imagination. By throwing away what we have now and snapping at the shimmering image that we see, we end up losing anything we’ve invested in our current relationship, and we frequently are left with nothing at all. Being content with what you have begins with focusing on the good in your relationship, not the imagined perfect ideal you’ve built up in your head. When we spend too much time gazing at the shiny reflection and the impossible ideal it represents, what we have can look pale in comparison. Don’t spend too much time gazing at an impossible ideal or you may find yourself unhappy with any reality.

-------

"Not for selfish purposes"
Wednesday, 26 April 2017 
Philippians 2:1 Therefore, if you have any encouragement for me from your being in union with the Messiah, any comfort flowing from love, any fellowship with me in the Spirit, or any compassion and sympathy, 2 then complete my joy by having a common purpose and a common love, by being one in heart and mind. 3 Do nothing out of rivalry or vanity; but, in humility, regard each other as better than yourselves — 4 look out for each other’s interests and not just for your own.
-------
Though he wrote some profound and challenging passages, the Apostle Paul was deeply practical. In verse 1 of today’s reading, he listed four lofty spiritual benefits that can be ours in Christ. But in verse 2-4, he appealed to his readers to live their day-to-day lives, including all their relationships, in ways that made those spiritual qualities into walking, breathing realities. 
In verse 2, Paul wrote, “Complete my joy by thinking the same way, having the same love, being united, and agreeing with each other.” God created each of us unique, with our own minds and personalities. These differences often enhance our relationships. How can you live out the principles of this verse while honoring your God-given uniqueness? 
In verse 3, Paul wrote, “Don’t do anything for selfish purposes.” In verse 4 he urged his readers to “watch out for what is better for others.” What are some of the productive, healthy ways you can put the interests of others above your own in response to Christ’s self-giving love for you? What might this look like in your closest relationships? 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, when I think of doing nothing for selfish purposes, that feels hard and scary. When I think of having a partner who does nothing for selfish purposes, that feels as though it would be wonderful! Make me that kind of partner. Amen.

Wendy Connelly
Wendy Connelly is wife to Mark, mom to two kids and is a seminary student at Saint Paul School of Theology. In an effort to defuse the "fear of the other," Wendy is on a "Year of Faiths" adventure in 2017, building bridges with a different world religion each month, searching for positive points of convergence with Christianity, and sharing them through blog posts and podcasts. Follow her "Year of Faiths" journey at TheLiftPodcast.org.
I was 13 years old on the deck of the S. S. Norway when I met my future husband. We were both on a week-long cruise (my family’s first and only – a check mark on my dad’s urgent bucket list), fell in by chance with the same group of teenagers, and became pen-pals. While most of the other pen-pal friendships from that trip dropped away over time and distance, Mark and I bonded as we together documented, in key-strokes and the untidy scrawl of handwritten notes, our everyday struggles, interests and dreams:

  • His love of music and budding fascination with psychology.
  • Family dysfunction and my dad’s terminal cancer. 
  • High school drama (the official and unofficial sort).
  • My break-up with the boyfriend who forgot Valentine’s Day…
From far away, we grew up together (one awkward stage upon the next), uncovered the depths of each other’s souls, and slowly fell in love. For several years, we stalked our mailboxes for postage addressed between Orlando, Florida (me) and Fonthill, Ontario (him).
We’ve both kept every letter.
Our love story lacks complexity; it was, from the start, selfless. Without pretense. Money, appearance, status, the “need to impress” and the “what’s in it for me” – none of these things mattered to two teenagers thousands of kilometers apart who knew each other to the core.
I think the lost art of letter writing can be applied as a metaphor for relationships – modeling what they’re meant to be, and what they’re not:

  • Lopsided: “You never return my letters!”
  • Obligatory: “I wrote to you and now you owe me.”
  • Conditional: “I’ll write to you as long as…”
  • Manipulative: “I write to you (because it benefits me).”
Paul – the Bible’s pen-pal extraordinaire – writes that love is not selfish, asking “what’s in it for me?” It isn’t lopsided, obligatory, conditional or manipulative. To truly love someone is to enter into a reciprocal exchange that genuinely wills the good of the other person, seeks their happiness above our own, and addresses them as “Dear” – just as they are.
-------
"Freedom to serve each other"
Thursday, 27 April 2017
Galatians 5:13 For, brothers and sisters, you were called to be free. Only do not let that freedom become an excuse for allowing your old nature to have its way. Instead, serve one another in love. 14 For the whole of the Torah is summed up in this one sentence: “Love your neighbor as yourself”;[Galatians 5:14 Leviticus 19:18] 15 but if you go on snapping at each other and tearing each other to pieces, watch out, or you will be destroyed by each other!
16 What I am saying is this: run your lives by the Spirit. Then you will not do what your old nature wants.

-------
In common usage, we think “freedom” means “the right to do what you want, make your own decisions, and express your own opinions.” * The apostle Paul, who had pondered Jesus’ definition and model of greatness, called us to move beyond selfish impulses that actually enslave us, to live with the right to do what God wants us to do. Abandoning the ways of the world for the way of Jesus is a radical step. Paul called Christians to let the Holy Spirit’s presence radically change their lives. 
In verse 13 Paul bluntly stated a truth we find painful to admit. We all have selfish impulses, especially when we’re able to choose freely. He pointed his readers to the one who can give us the ability to serve each other in love: the Holy Spirit. In what areas of life do you want to invite the Spirit to empower you to deny your selfish desires and love others as you love yourself more fully? 
Paul described the way of life he was talking about with the phrase “be guided by the Spirit.” When have you experienced what Pastor Hamilton sometimes calls “inner nudges” that move you toward the right choice, or away from what is harmful? How can you learn to be more attuned to the Holy Spirit’s leading in your life? 
Prayer: O Lord, you call me to true freedom: not following all my own flawed, selfish impulses, but living guided by your presence and principles. Give me a willingness to trust you to shape and guide my life. Amen. 
* From Macmillandictionary.com.

Evan Palmer
Evan Palmer has been a member of Resurrection since 2002. She graduated from the University of Arkansas where she played soccer for the women's team (go Hogs!). Evan loves Montana and thinks her dad is the funniest person on the planet.

The concept of freedom in regards to Christianity can be confusing. I asked Google “what does it mean to be free,” and the first response stated, “not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.” Generally, the world will tell you that freedom means to live and act however you want. In our reading today, Paul tells us we “… have been called to live in freedom…” and urges the Church to not “use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.” (Galatians 5: 13-14). This reading tells us that as followers of Christ, we no longer have to live enslaved by the world. We are freed from our sinful nature and have the freedom to live into who The Lord is calling each of us to be. This freedomtranslates to all aspects of our lives—including dating and relationships.
When it comes to freedom in the context of dating and relationships, it can seem pretty tough to navigate. There are (seemingly) a million different ways to go about dating—from apps and websites to hoping and praying your second aunt, who works at a hospital, might be able to introduce you to a doctor—I mean, potential relationship. It can be exhausting and defeating to date and form relationships in a world where most lives seem to be living by the human standard of freedom and not Christ’s. However, I think this is where we need to shift our focus. Instead of focusing on ‘the ways of the world,’ we can find hope and rest knowing that God is developing within us the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22). When we choose to follow Him, He continuously rids us of our selfish desires and develops our character. I find when I surrender myself to The Lord and allow Him to work, I am more capable of setting aside my selfish desires and loving others.
So, how do we allow ourselves to be guided by the Spirit? How do we go about dating and relationships in the freedom to which we have been called? I think it starts with denying yourself, choosing The Lord’s will over your own, and loving your neighbor as yourself. We don’t get it right all the time, but it is something we can constantly strive after. I am encouraged by the authentic Christ-like love I see demonstrated on a daily basis. Let us not grow weary, find His love in each moment, and seek to love others before ourselves.
-------

"Don’t mistreat or take advantage of a brother or sister"
Friday, 28 April 2017
1 Thessalonians 4:1 Therefore, brothers, just as you learned from us how you had to live in order to please God, and just as you are living this way now, we ask you — indeed, united with the Lord Yeshua, we urge you — to keep doing so more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you on the authority of the Lord Yeshua. 3 What God wants is that you be holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality, 4 that each of you know how to manage his sexual impulses in a holy and honorable manner, 5 without giving in to lustful desires, like the pagans who don’t know God. 6 No one should wrong his brother in this matter or take advantage of him, because the Lord punishes all who do such things — as we have explained to you before at length. 7 For God did not call us to live an unclean life but a holy one. 8 Therefore, whoever rejects this teaching is rejecting not a man but God, indeed, the One who gives you the Ruach HaKodesh, which is his.
-------
New Testament Christians lived in a world where lust and immorality were a given. In many Roman and Greek cities, “temples” devoted to Aphrodite or Venus, goddesses of “love,” sold the services of prostitutes! 1 Thessalonians is probably the earliest of Paul’s letters. In it, as in many of his later letters, he made it clear to his converts that God was calling them to break from their culture, and live in new ways. 
Compare and contrast the attitudes and values about sex in the Greek and Roman world 2000 years ago with attitudes in our world today. How many films or TV shows suggest that you shouldn’t “be controlled by your sexual urges”? In what ways has our culture shaped your attitudes and life story, and those of people close to you? 
In verse 6 Paul chose verbs that mean “harm,” “wrong” and “take advantage of.” How much better would our world be if everyone resolved to never mistreat or take advantage of another person in the realm of sexual behavior? In what ways does this cast light on the type of spiritual damage that an impure life can do to both parties? How does this language speak to the common idea that prostitution or promiscuity are “victimless” activities? 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want to live a life dedicated to you. Guard my heart and mind from all the influences that seek to move me away from that kind of life, and help me to live as you call me to live. Amen.
-------


Ginger Rothhaas
Ginger Rothhaas is a seminary student at Saint Paul School of Theology. She is also a Thursday Live teacher in Resurrection's Women's Ministry and she co-leads the Propel ministry for teens. She and her husband, Rob, helped start the Beds for Everybody program and dream of every child in KC sleeping in a bed of their own. She loves meeting people for coffee and soulful conversation!

On Thursday mornings I teach a women’s class at our church. Everyone in the room is a mom, and our children range from infant to adult. Each week, as we talk about our own search for purpose, releasing our fears, finding our callings, and quieting the noise of life to hear God, women share that they can’t help but worry about their children’s values, decisions, and choices too.
In one discussion, we talked about helping our children understand the line between being nice and when it is okay to say "no" to avoid being taken advantage of. Moms of little ones worried about their children being unkind and hurting others, wanting them to always ‘play nicely with friends.’ Moms of adult children warned how, for both boys and girls, being nice and being afraid to speak up can lead to bad situations, including being at risk of sexual assault. It was a rich discussion around serving God by loving others with compassion, justice, self-awareness, and having the courage to say "no."
As I listened, I was reminded of a quote I heard years ago from Stephen Covey: “You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage—pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically, to say ‘no’ to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger ‘yes’ burning inside." It struck me as a spiritual message that God is our bigger "yes" burning inside each of us.
I think this is what Paul is saying in his letter to Thessalonica about living in dedication to God. He reminded them to not harm one another with sexual immorality because they have a higher calling. Paul was telling them to say "no" because they have a bigger "yes."
A life dedicated to God is the biggest "yes."
Paul could sound like a parent today, encouraging them to stand strong against the pressures from society. He is reminding them to respect one another and consider what God would have them do as they face socially accepted behaviors that don't align with their faith.
Seeing ourselves as partners with God in loving others is our big "yes." Everything we say, think, and do should align with that…or it’s a "no." Think about what you value the most and make that part of your bigger "yes," then see if it becomes easier to say "no" to things that don’t align with the loving person God made you to be.
-------
"Living in God’s grace, love and will"
Saturday, 29 April 2017
1 John 2:My children, I am writing you these things so that you won’t sin. But if anyone does sin, we have Yeshua the Messiah, the Tzaddik, who pleads our cause with the Father. 2 Also, he is the kapparah for our sins — and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world.
3 The way we can be sure we know him is if we are obeying his commands. 4 Anyone who says, “I know him,” but isn’t obeying his commands is a liar — the truth is not in him. 5 But if someone keeps doing what he says, then truly love for God has been brought to its goal in him. This is how we are sure that we are united with him. 6 A person who claims to be continuing in union with him ought to conduct his life the way he did.
15 Do not love the world or the things of the world. If someone loves the world, then love for the Father is not in him; 16 because all the things of the world — the desires of the old nature, the desires of the eyes, and the pretensions of life — are not from the Father but from the world. 17 And the world is passing away, along with its desires. But whoever does God’s will remains forever.

-------
John 3:16 said God loved “the world.” Why would verse 15 of this passage tell us not to love the world? Scholar Craig Keener shows the point of these verses: “’The world’…here means the system in competition with God. Just as Israel in the Old Testament repeatedly had to decide between allegiance to God and allegiance to the pagan nations around them, the Christians scattered among the nations had to choose Christ above whatever in their cultures conflicted with his demands.” * Like God, we are called to love all the people in our world. But we are called to separate ourselves from cultural, economic and political parts of “the system in competition with God,” just as much as possible. 
Verse 1 highlighted the tension John (and all Christians since him) dealt with. He was writing to his converts to urge them not to sin. How could anyone who takes God seriously do anything less? But he knew that at times they would sin—so he also reminded them that Jesus “is God’s way of dealing with our sins.” Are there any areas where you are ignoring a God-given inner conviction? When have you been honest about a flaw or struggle, and found that your honesty connected you with the Savior John described: “We have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one”? 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, keep drawing me into your kingdom. I know that at times that will make me different from some of the “cool” people around me. Help to crave connection with you more than anything else. Amen. 
* Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. Downers Grove, IL: Inter Varsity Press, 1993, comment on 1 John 2:15. 
Family Activity: 
Design a collage entitled, “Created in God’s Image.” Gather a wide variety of magazines. If someone in your family is artistic, also gather markers or crayons. Read Genesis 1:26-28 and Galatians 3:28.[Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, in the likeness of ourselves; and let them rule over the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, the animals, and over all the earth, and over every crawling creature that crawls on the earth.”
27 So God created humankind in his own image;
in the image of God he created him:
male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them: God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea, the birds in the air and every living creature that crawls on the earth.”
Galatians 3:28 there is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor freeman, neither male nor female; for in union with the Messiah Yeshua, you are all one.
] Discuss how God created each person in God’s image, and how we are all one in Christ no matter our gender, race, age or size. Cut out and/or draw pictures of different types of people. Include both male and female and a range of shapes, races, ages, ethnicities, sizes and backgrounds. Include pictures of your own family and friends! Celebrate that God created and loves every person, and that each person is made in the image of God. Thank God for creating you and all people. 
-------

Dave Pullin
Dave leads our Technical Arts department, which provides live worship production for our church. In all of life, Dave has learned that the person is more important than the task and that the process is just as important as the product. The way we do things, and the way we treat others, is vital.

Direct deposit is wonderful, as is online banking. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check except for the baby sitter or girl scout cookies. Now Venmo is even making those transactions digital. I can automate nearly my whole financial life: paycheck deposits, investments, utility payments, mortgage payments. I can even automate my house with thermostat and electricity apps. What I truly enjoy is that automation helps me set it and forget it. I just need quarterly reviews to make sure all is going as planned.
I tend to try to use automation in as many places as possible. This works well for a great many things. But I've learned that relationships are not one of them. You cannot automate love. And unfortunately, that is something a vast number of us attempt without even knowing it.
I was married once before. That eleven year marriage ended traumatically, leaving me hurt, confused, and trying to make sense of it all (while also trying to console and explain the situation to my six-year-old daughter). It was a very tough season. Looking back, many things contributed to the end of that relationship, but I think my major contribution was that I unknowingly tried to put the relationship on automatic. And that doesn't exist. Relationships are a living, breathing organism. They must be nurtured, fed, and cared for. I didn't fully realize that until it was too late. Subconsciously I felt that once we said "I Do," the covenant would somehow do the nurturing for us. But it didn't.
The words "til death do us part" can give a false sense of security--at least they did to me. No one gets married expecting to get divorced, yet over 50% of marriages end. Why? I think it is partially due to a false sense that the marriage will always be there. I hate to break it to you, but there is no automatic schedule for making your spouse feel loved. Flowers just twice a year for your wife is more of an insult out of obligation than an expression of undying love and appreciation. So is doing that one thing for your husband, but only on his birthday. When your spouse doesn't feel loved, appreciated, admired, or desirable, a part of the relationship begins to die. Those feelings are the oxygen needed to keep love alive. When our attention gets consumed with work or the kids, and the marriage gets set aside year after year, it begins to starve. The relationship ultimately dies, yet neither spouse has any clear idea how it happened. Either the couple tries to stay together amidst bitterness and conflict, or something traumatic happens and they separate or divorce. No wonder the younger generations see the example of marriage set by their parents and decide they want nothing to do with it.
I realize this is quite a dire description of marriage. I know because I lived it, and still have to live with the repercussions of my mistakes. But I can also say that I have learned from those mistakes. I have been remarried for 5 years to a most incredible woman. Our relationship is strong, healthy and vibrant. We both know firsthand how easily the assumption of automation can creep in and destroy, so we are fiercely protective of our relationship. It boils down to this: we constantly pursue each other. every. single. day.
Our marriage is more important than our careers.
Our marriage is more important than our children.
Our marriage is more important than our extended family.
Our marriage is more important than our friends.
Our marriage is more important than our hobbies.
That doesn't mean those other things aren't important. There are times when some of those other areas require a lot of attention, which is fine. We simply do not allow them to take the highest priority for too long. And we stay connected well enough to be able to tell when they do, and when a change is needed.
If you feel disconnected from your spouse, perhaps it is time you remember when you were dating. Recall how you put your best effort into winning their attention? It's time to do that again. Read the book Love Languages, and learn how each person best feels loved. If you need to work through some friction or conflict, how about visiting a family therapist? My wife and I go quarterly, just like an oil change for the car. It helps us continually get better at communicating and keeps our marriage running smoothly.
This morning's Scriptures talk about imitating how Jesus loves. Jesus was intentional. He likely wouldn't automate anything, especially not relationships. It's time we all stop using the marriage vows an an excuse to ignore our spouse. I learned the hard way that those sacred and meaningful vows will not make your spouse feel loved, and cannot hold your marriage together all by themselves. You have to act. You have to be intentional. You have to relentlessly pursue your spouse.
Men: when your wife is in her ugliest pajamas, without any makeup, look deep into her eyes and tell her how unbelievably beautiful she is and how much
you appreciate everything she does. (Then take the time to list the specific
things she does, but you may not always notice.) Tell her about the qualities you admire in her and how grateful you are that she is in your life. When you both are home after a long day, ask her about her day, and actively listen. Occasionally paraphrase back what she said to let her know she was heard. Do this for at least 20 minutes (but don't set a timer!). Just listen, repeat back, and then acknowledge the feeling! Do not try to fix anything.
Women: at the end of the day when your husband is tired, put the kids on a show for 20 minutes, and ask about his day. Throughout the conversation, tell him how proud you are of him. List the specific things that you admire in him; let him know you see a man of significant worth. Let him know that he is your focus, your priority, and that he constantly amazes you. He needs to know you are proud of him.
We all need to treat our marriage as though we still have to make manual deposits to the bank, Every Single Day. If you don't, someone else just might--and that doesn't end well. Don't let my mistakes become your mistakes. Start now to always make your marriage better and stronger than yesterday. Don't attempt to set it and forget it. That simply doesn't work. Instead, relentlessly pursue your spouse, starting right now.
-------
Prayer Requests – cor.org/prayer Prayers for Peace & Comfort for: 
• Bob VanLandingham and family on the death of his wife Wilma VanLandingham, 4/19
• Don VanLandingham and family on the death of his mother Wilma VanLandingham, 4/19 
• Sherrie Keeton and family on the death of her daughter, Kerrie McCown, 4/15 
• Matt and Melissa Bolan and family on the death of their son, Jack Bolan, 4/15 
• Pam Patton and family on the death of her grandson, Jack Bolan, 4/15 
• Laurian Lytle and family on the death of her father, John Logan Casson, 4/13 
• Joseph Lytle, Hannah Lytle, Julie Lytle, and Liz Ang on the death of their grandfather, John Logan Casson, 4/13 
• Leslie Henzlik and family on the death of her mother, Delores Pfaff, 4/11 • Rick and Judy Tremblay and family on the death of their son, Jason Tremblay, 4/3 • Donna Allred and family on the death of her brother, Robert Caruso, 3/31 • John Allred, Jenna Allred, and Jackie Legg on the death of their uncle, Robert Caruso, 3/31
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment